Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 09:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,367,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
CAPRESSO ! I've had mine for years, it's a 'burr' grinder and that gives you the best grind. Last I looked they were around $100 but worth every penny, you won't be sorry ! I use it every day and just grind enough for that pot.
Agree with the Capresso. I received one a few years ago as a gift. My biggest complaint is the plastic cup that collects the ground coffee gets a lot of static. The grind sticks to it and sometimes flies everywhere when I pull it out. If I remember to do it right after dinner, it's not a few hours later when I prep the coffee maker for the morning.

I used a Braun with blades for about 20 years. I kept it around as a back-up.. I just looked for it. Braun also makes one now with a burr grinder. It's a lower price point than the Capresso. It might be worth trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
I have had both the oval Krups grinder and the cylindrical Braun grinder for over 20 years - the Braun is better and grinds more evenly. I don't use either too much since I bought the Nespresso VertuoLine several years ago. Now they are both dedicated to grinding spices or occasionally making powdered sugar when I'm out.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
I much prefer burr grinders, but have only had budget ones that tend to die after a couple of years of daily use. Currently using a blade grinder...Not as good, but it works, unlike my burr grinder, and was much less costly. Also better in terms of counter space, storage.

One budget one to avoid is the Mr. Coffee automatic burr grinder, which retails for $40-50. I got one as a gift, and it randomly stopped working right after about a year and a half. We had had a military move, and the packers aren't always reliable, and the failure started shortly after unpacking it. So I thought maybe they damaged it. So I bought a replacement, same model. It, too, met the same fate, and never moved from my counter. They seem like a bargain, because, while working, they work great...But then, outta nowhere, they're done.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:31 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
We have a $20. electric one that we used for years. Works great.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:13 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,063,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Agree with the Capresso. I received one a few years ago as a gift. My biggest complaint is the plastic cup that collects the ground coffee gets a lot of static. The grind sticks to it and sometimes flies everywhere when I pull it out. If I remember to do it right after dinner, it's not a few hours later when I prep the coffee maker for the morning.

I used a Braun with blades for about 20 years. I kept it around as a back-up.. I just looked for it. Braun also makes one now with a burr grinder. It's a lower price point than the Capresso. It might be worth trying.

I use a small glass bottle with a cover instead of that plastic cup. I grind just before I make the coffee. If I grind a little too much the covered jar keeps it fresh until the next grind.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:26 AM

5,467 posts, read 8,196,025 times
I've had this Breville for 4 years and am very happy with it: https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...rs/bcg820.html

Old 07-16-2020, 10:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
I'm tired of cleaning them so I just take my beans to the store during purchase and get free grinding.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 2,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would opt for mechanical grinder. They are small, reliable and don't cost a fortune.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013R...pa_mw_detail_2
10,000+ people can't be wrong
Just superb when paired with AeroPress.

Still want only electrical?
Decent electric grinder will cost you $100+
This might help you make a right choice:
https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/gri...al-vs-electric
After checking out several options on the thread, assessing the true use of a grinder (me only, most of the time), and my bank account (LOL), I went for this option. It arrived today, and it's actually quite easier to use than my old one was. The old one felt harder to hold in place while I ground the beans, this one feels quite smooth. It's certainly easier on my arms (the one reason I was debating going to mechanical.)

It doesn't have the capacity that my old one did, but....again, it's typically just me having coffee here, so not that big of a deal.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:02 PM

70 posts, read 32,646 times
I've never ground my own store-bought beans, but I want to start.
The grinder I'm looking for should be a small one, for it's only me.

I like my coffee strong, both in taste and caffeine content.

At minimum, I usually add two heaping tablespoons (usually more) of instant coffee into 16oz of water, so the grinder needs to be just large enough (or slightly larger) for that amount of beans (and buzz!), and only one batch at a time.
If I want more coffee, I won't mind just grinding more on the spot, rather than have ground coffee sitting around for any given time.

Price is not an object, as long as it is both a quality and efficient (burr?) grinder, as judging from this thread, it seems that the burr grinders are the way to go.

Can anyone shed some light on some brands of grinders, please?

Last edited by OI85N24U; 02-24-2022 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 02-25-2022, 08:05 AM

4,564 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Spong & Co. manual. Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink