Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you making fancy food at home?
Yes, I love making fancy food for myself/family 12 29.27%
No, I am getting fancy takeout when the mood hits 11 26.83%
No, I don't like that stuff anyway 18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not more fancy, but more untested recipes and ideas. More ethnic meals. More cream sauces. I deep fried chicken last night for the first time, and in the next few days will use the oil for fried fish tacos. I've been consulting and following recipes more than I EVER have. (I'm not sure I like it.)

Frequent readers here will remember my repeatedly saying, "I don't bake. Ever." Three attempts during Covid-19 have confirmed that I was correct - I SHOULD never bake." I tried. I failed. I'm done trying. Which is FINE with me and DH.
Brownie mix? Straight from the Betty Crocker box? Try something simple. Like a Pillsbury crescent roll from the refrigerator case in the grocery store. I'm not being snarky or rude. I know a lot of people who are intimidated by baking and I always tell them to start with something like a dinner roll. None of this open a cookbook and follow a recipe stuff. Nope open a package and start there. It's much easier. Being able to bake something like this gives a lot of people confidence. Setting the timer is essential also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Brownie mix? Straight from the Betty Crocker box? Try something simple. Like a Pillsbury crescent roll from the refrigerator case in the grocery store. I'm not being snarky or rude. I know a lot of people who are intimidated by baking and I always tell them to start with something like a dinner roll. None of this open a cookbook and follow a recipe stuff. Nope open a package and start there. It's much easier. Being able to bake something like this gives a lot of people confidence. Setting the timer is essential also.
I guess I should have been clearer. Boxed mixes, chocolate chip cookie rolls, crescent rolls - I do those, and my results are as expected.

My definition of baking is when you need exacting measurements, just the right amount of stiring, whisking, folding, etc. The perfect size pan. I'm a sloppy cook anyway.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:16 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,821,133 times
I am a very good cook so I don't know exactly what 'fancy' is.
Do I add parsley garnish or radish flowers to a dish?.. or make a sauce line drawing of the Matterhorn underneath a tuna steak?
Hell, no!

But if you consider pork Piccata or chicken cutlets Milanese or a rich and steamy paella or salmon in dill sauce etc. etc. 'fancy', well that's how I roll.

So nothing's really changed except I'm cooking more, but who isn't?

PS My gf adores my Aglio Olio and my signature dish is a hamburger so I am by no means a food snob.
And I don't bake EVER.. unless pizza in the outdoor grill is 'baking'.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 08-12-2020 at 06:02 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
Not "fancy" but when my partner's restaurant first closed in March, he definitely channeled his anxiety by cooking more labor-intensive things that he usually does at home.

Me? No. But I did cook a lot.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:14 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
I am still cooking the same as always and I am not home more than usual I still go into work every day except weekends.
In the beginning of the pandemic I was baking a lot more sweets but when I saw the scale go up I stopped.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:29 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
No, though I do eat more local vegetables.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:30 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am still cooking the same as always and I am not home more than usual I still go into work every day except weekends.
In the beginning of the pandemic I was baking a lot more sweets but when I saw the scale go up I stopped.
Yes, being stuck home so much of the time makes it tempting to bake sweets. Somebody gave me a recipe for a cake in a cup so I made it. Took about five minutes, so simple. So simple that I made it again a few days later but I'm going to stop.

I love to bake (regular baking, not from a box) and I dislike cooking meals. But I'm going to lay off the baking for now. Baking is for winter anyway. Steaming fresh vegetables and eating cold foods are summer eating. And corn on the cob.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:37 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Strangely, no. I am taking out more, and eating more simple meals. We don't have guests any longer. We are in high risk categories, as are most of our friends. We must Socially Isolate. Most of them must also.

I am tired of my own cooking. Seriously. And cooking for only two is boring.

In the Summer we usually eat out more than usual. We choose restaurants with outdoor dining and pretty views and a congenial atmosphere. I cook at home less in Summer, and we have guests and are guests more frequently. While we have AC, cooking is almost always a "hot" endeavor.

We take out good food more than we should. Fridays we have always enjoyed Pizza and a tossed salad.

I am just "not in the mood" to cook.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 PM

1,154 posts, read 367,242 times
Hey, Sheena, I know cooking can be a drag, especially right now, but if you’re looking for inspiration, America’s Test Kitchen Cooking for Two is a terrific cookbook that might renew your interest. When my kids left for college, it helped me rediscover my passion for home-cooked meals. Just a thought.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, being stuck home so much of the time makes it tempting to bake sweets. Somebody gave me a recipe for a cake in a cup so I made it. Took about five minutes, so simple. So simple that I made it again a few days later but I'm going to stop.

I love to bake (regular baking, not from a box) and I dislike cooking meals. But I'm going to lay off the baking for now. Baking is for winter anyway. Steaming fresh vegetables and eating cold foods are summer eating. And corn on the cob.
Aren't MODERATORS required to share their recipes?

My husband wants that "cake in a cup" recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink