Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 11:19 AM

40 posts, read 82,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I like Cabot's Habanero Cheddar Cheese. I think that is about as hot as I will go. Years ago I was in a Chinese restaurant in Dallas and there was a little red pepper in my food. I didn't know what is was but I thought I was going to have a heart attack it was so hot. We were entertaining my husband's client and I was trying to surreptitiously stick my tongue in my water glass.

Then on another occasion, I smeared wasabi all over my sushi thinking it was guacamole. Wow! Cleared up my sinus' in a hurry.
Yes. Nothing clears you up quicker than some spicy food
The little pepper may have been a Japones pepper. They're good, but very spicy to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 11:47 AM

2,349 posts, read 614,996 times
I love the pepperoncini peppers, sold in jars in the pickle section of store and pickled Jalapenos. I use raw and cooked Jalapeno and serrano peppers, Not a fan of raw Green Pepper but will eat cooked. I with eat either raw or cooked red/orange/yellow peppers and I love those sweet small bell peppers in stores now.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I can handle really hot peppers, but don't seek out opportunities to impress others with my tolerance. If it's part of a dish and intended to "kick it up a notch" - that's great and I'll indulge. But I'm not interested in eating a plate of scotch bonnets to feel like a fire-eating dragon and have my taste buds impaired for the next two days.

Several people have mentioned Thai food, which is known for its emphasis on hot peppers in their dishes. They don't serve the peppers on their own, but as part of a dish with other elements in there - often rice, noodles, coconut, vegetables, seafood, etc. I love Thai dishes, their soups are a special favorite.

Speaking of spicy soups, for heat lovers, I would recommend the Korean pre-packaged ramen that comes in spicy varieties - yum!

Old 02-04-2021, 04:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPotato64 View Post
I've heard that Thai food is spicy, but know nothing about it. What spicy food do they have?
Go to a local Thai restaurant and ask them to prepare any dish you would like and make it as hot as they can.

They will ask you whether you want to order an ambulance before or after they serve it to you. Seriously.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I just planted 15 reaper plant seeds in a little greenhouse thing.. Trying to grow some this year. Will do another 15 this coming Monday. They say 6-8 weeks for germination, so, that should line up well with my normal tax day planting.

They won't sell reaper plants here.. "Public Health Hazard" is what I was told.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:17 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
I love spicy food but not food that is so spicy hot that you lose the flavor of the food to the overpowering pepper. What’s the point of eating food that is painful?
Years ago I came across a jar of something called “Jamaican Hell Fire”. I wanted so bad to try that but knowing I had recently had a heart attack and there was a warning label on the jar about not eating it if you had heart trouble I played it safe and left it on the shelf. I still wonder if I could have handled it!

Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
I feel like pepper activates receptors in my taste buds that wouldn't otherwise be sensitive enough to experience some flavors. Spicy pepper is a must in many of my dishes to get the full experience and range of flavors.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:08 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I love spicy food but not food that is so spicy hot that you lose the flavor of the food to the overpowering pepper. What’s the point of eating food that is painful?
Years ago I came across a jar of something called “Jamaican Hell Fire”. I wanted so bad to try that but knowing I had recently had a heart attack and there was a warning label on the jar about not eating it if you had heart trouble I played it safe and left it on the shelf. I still wonder if I could have handled it!
I agree, what is the point of eating “hot” to the point of pain? Just phony macho BS IMO. We enjoy spicy foods where the goal is a unique flavor experience, not days of suffering.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:33 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Jalapeno is about it for me, and that's only if I ream the seeds and membrane out.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Green pepper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink