Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

I am not a cook, and this post is not about cooking, but it is about food and its appreciation.

This may sound a bit daft; but growing up, I didn’t particularly pay much attention to the food I was eating. Nor did anyone in my family; being on the eating-to-live side of the spectrum rather than the living-to-eat. As I have grown up, however, I have begun to enjoy food, eating, and the entire culture surrounding it; but my knowledge is superficial, and I really want to explore and learn more. There is a lot of scope for me to do so - so much is new to me at this stage.

I had these questions:

How to identify and appreciate a well cooked dish? To know the various parameters to judge - flavour, texture, etc. To know when they are done correctly/done well. Including the understanding of the subtleties in the dish.
In traditional cuisines, to know how a dish “should” taste; what its flavour or texture should be like.
To know the things the chef did to make it that way: the ideas behind the dish, perhaps even the relevant technical aspects of cooking behind it.
The above three points in particular relation to traditional cuisines; but: In addition to traditional cuisines, appreciating the work of a chef who comes up with new things, pushes the boundaries or breaks the rules.
As aforesaid, I am not a cook, and I am not actually interested in cooking myself; I wanted to ask this question from the point of view of someone who eats (and admires) food.

In a sense, my question is about how to understand and appreciate good art, rather than how to be an artist yourself.

Does this knowledge come only with eating out and trying a lot of things? Or cooking a lot? Are there any books which can help with this? Does reading books on cuisines, and recipe books, help? Any good websites or other resources on the Internet?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 06:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
YouTube is your friend

If you are wondering what’s a chefs particular
Inspiration is... that’s an individual thing

Start cooking easy stuff first ... be humble about it and creative

Old 04-29-2021, 06:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
As it is with art, foremost, what appeals to you? That's most important ... to enjoy. What has sparked your interest? Go down that path.
Or just tell us here, plainly, what you like.

As for me. never did I think I'd like goat cheese. But WOW, once I encountered it, WOW.
But I did know that I like bitter/sour tastes. And goat cheese enhances many dishes now for me. Or just a smear on crackers works. Then breaded and fried ... even better.
So again, I ask, what sparks your palate?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I think it's not only a matter of eating out (and maybe learning to cook), but of getting yourself one or two friends who are knowledgeable and discriminating, and learning from them.

And reading also helps! If you go to the best restaurant in town, maybe a good reviewer would mention some points that you'd find enlightening.

In any case, your exploration should be a lot of fun.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I would head over to YouTube and look at the Green Brothers website:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzH...kgQoiDAQt2FwLw

While they have thousands of YouTube videos over the past ten years. There are a good number of them are geared to people who do not cook.

I am an experienced home cook. However, these guys come up with some crazy ideas as to how to prepare food that actually work well.

YouTube is a phenomenal source for videos. However, some of the recipe channels out there are done more for the clicks than in preparing decent food.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:24 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Here, browse thoroughly through this site & sign up for these (often FREE) webinars:

https://www.eventbrite.com/d/online/events/

But, here's everything to do w/ Food & Drink. (The categories were at the very bottom of the above link.)
https://www.eventbrite.com/d/online/...drink--events/

You can narrow down the category to FOOD, COOKING, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink