Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:53 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezar View Post
Bummer. I love sardines in water or oil! It's so brain food but has mercury it seems, just like the adult flu shots.

My cat loves tuna fish. I would never heat up her food from the refridge though. I boil a little water in the microwave ( or use hot water) and add it to the 1/2 can she gets in the evening.
Sardines and the tuna that you get in cans comes from very young fish who have not had enough time alive for mercury to accumulate in their organs. The ancient Greeks had this idea of "elements" and while they got the details wrong, the concept was correct. Elements are neither created nor destroyed outside of nuclear reactions. Mercury does not !poof! pop into fish. It slowly, inch by inch, step by step, accumulates from the environment. Big old fish can accumulate a lot. Fingerlings aren't alive long enough to do so.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2021 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sardines and the tuna that you get in cans comes from very young fish who have not had enough time alive for mercury to accumulate in their organs. The ancient Greeks had this idea of "elements" and while they got the details wrong, the concept was correct. Elements are neither created nor destroyed outside of nuclear reactions. Mercury does not !poof! pop into fish. It slowly, inch by inch, step by step, accumulates from the environment. Big old fish can accumulate a lot. Fingerlings aren't alive long enough to do so.
Actually, according to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and https://www.consumerlab.com/news/bes...es/07-10-2020/
sardines are contaminated with toxic heavy metals at very high levels which are exceeding the thresholds established by the Algerian and the European health authorities.
While canned sardines were low in mercury, they are very high in arsenic, cadmium, and lead.
Since fish used for animal food isn't the highest quality, the levels might be even higher.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2021 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 09:44 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Actually, according to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and https://www.consumerlab.com/news/bes...es/07-10-2020/
sardines are contaminated with toxic heavy metals at very high levels which are exceeding the thresholds established by the Algerian and the European health authorities.
While canned sardines were low in mercury, they are very high in arsenic, cadmium, and lead.
Since fish used for animal food isn't the highest quality, the levels might be even higher.
Mercury... I believe that was the element in question.

Cadmium is of some health concern. Lead, unless you are under the age of twelve, is less so. Arsenic is frankly a false flag. Arsenic compounds were regularly used medicinally in the past with good results and people continued to live for many years. While not on a balanced diet, ingestion of some is of little or no concern to most adults. Rice has significant arsenic in many areas if you are concerned about such things.

Algerian health authorities??? And we should take them seriously because???

Your response is going way beyond what happens to sardines in a microwave, and off-topic. I can provide chapter and verse of why ANY food you might eat can be dangerous in the minds of some people. That is the current fear-factor insanity dominant in our culture. Eggs are good for you - eggs are bad for you. Salads are good - salads are bad and can contain salmonella and listeria. Drinking more water is good - water contains PFOAs and other forever chemicals. Now we are supposed to quake in fear because some Algerian doesn't like sardines? I think not. It doesn't seem a safe place in general, and is possibly subject to terrorist attacks.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Back on topic, mercury is not the cause of sparking of sardines in a microwave. Your post may or may not confirm that. I'm not going to pay a site to see a full report to dispute a post. The amounts of any metals in the various safety levels are orders of magnitude smaller than required to create sparks in a microwave.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:19 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,736 times
Perhaps they have a higher mercury content than other sardines/fish? Maybe that’s why they’re cheaper?

I’m just making a guess. Now I have to go look it up.

Update: it appears sardines have very low Murcury content so… I’m wrong again.

Side note: why microwave sardines for your cats? If canned or vacuum sealed they’re either smoked or cooked and ready to eat right from the can. You needn’t reply over such a small thing, I was just curious.

Last edited by paperwing; 07-29-2021 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 04:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A BUNCH of things happen in a microwave. The first thing in response to your speculation though, is that it is unlikely that mercury caused the arc. Many things will arc in a microwave; kale, grape skins, bits of aluminum foil, green beans, chickpeas, straight pins, and so on. .
Harry been waiting for this question.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:22 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Wow, when we dig into what is in many foods, it gives some unpleasant surprises. Sardines aren't my thing but yikes!

I sincerely think the OP means well, and is really trying to do the best for their cats, though.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wow, when we dig into what is in many foods, it gives some unpleasant surprises. Sardines aren't my thing but yikes!

I sincerely think the OP means well, and is really trying to do the best for their cats, though.

Of course! I myself love to eat canned fish, and like everything else eaten in moderation isn't a problem at all.
Still puzzled about the microwave behavior. Perhaps it was the container, thus my question about it.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:38 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
Microwave ovens can do weird things to small objects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCrtk-pyP0I

Old 07-29-2021, 07:29 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Europeans eat lots of seafood...especially things like sardines.

That's why they have lots of topless beaches...or its just the norm.

Nothing like a happy cat.

No soap. Radio.

There's your explanation.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
My first suspicion would be that there is some metal in the fish probably from the canning process, the metal used in the can or the opener.

However, if you google it could be your can-opener is the problem or the can is of a more brittle metal and when you open it little metal flakes get into the food.

There are a number of articles on the topic.
https://www.google.com/search?q=meta...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink