Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 06:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

FYI: Stouffer's VEGETABLE lasagna is much more solid and substantial...

But the meat lasagna tastes great. Just eat it with a spoon and enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 02:53 AM

3 posts, read 1,827 times
I cook the lasagne for about an hour, then turn off the oven and leave it there for another 15 minutes.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:11 AM

5,880 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But DH has poker night and, frankly, it's not worth the bother, expense or time for those guys. They are 100% happy with Stauffers frozen lasagna (any variety that includes meat).
OT - but interesting dish for poker night. We always do something we can eat with our hands - eg pizza, subs cut small, chips, candy, etc (but certainly not messy wings!).

Old 09-27-2021, 08:19 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
OT - but interesting dish for poker night. We always do something we can eat with our hands - eg pizza, subs cut small, chips, candy, etc (but certainly not messy wings!).
We do subs and pizza, too. But some time ago, I purchased a Stouffers lasagne on sale and made it with some garlic bread. Went over BIG (except for the very saucy consistency). So I've used it several times since (bonus: it's cheaper than take out subs or pizza).

Old 09-27-2021, 01:18 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I love a lot of sauce myself otherwise the lasagna is dry. The sauce in frozen lasagnas is not as thick as when you make a homemade sauce. I add tomato paste to mine because I like a thick hearty sauce. I would cook as directed then leave sit on counter covered 15 minutes before eating it.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Went over BIG (except for the very saucy consistency). So I've used it several times since (bonus: it's cheaper than take out subs or pizza).
But it went over big anyway? As you mentioned already, these folks are categorized separately from "guests".

I've baked Stouffer's lasagnas occasionally for decades but usually remove the cover a bit earlier than the directions suggest. I like more well done crusty bits. Until this thread, don't recall it being overly saucy though have the impression there's more sauce than content these days. Still, that's what the garlic bread is for.

I learned the consequences of leaving a cooling lasagna on the stove too long. One evening I baked one of their party size lasagnas and put it on the stovetop to cool before cutting it into meal sized portions. It was still too hot to eat before I had to leave for an evening volunteer stint at the library. Pushed it as far away from the front of the stove as possible and figured it would be fine. Came home a couple of hours later only to discover my 35 lb cattledog had somehow reached the pan (this dog had some spinal arthritis and had never countersurfed anything else in all the years she lived with me), pulled it onto the floor and scarfed the entire 5 lbs. Except for the stuck-on bottom layer of pasta she couldn't manage to scrape off with her teeth. She even licked every bit of sauce off her paws and the floor which I did appreciate.

I was none too happy about it as I hadn't eaten anything since lunch and my stomach was convinced my throat had been cut. Sitting dutifully at the silent library's front desk, all I could think about was how good my delayed comfort food dinner was going to be. Coming home to the empty pan on the kitchen floor was a blow. Of course I waited for some sort of canine digestive repercussions but she never so much as belched. Cattledogs have a reputation for cast iron stomachs and I believe it. This same dog scored a 3 lb wad of half frozen Costco bacon while staying with a neighbor a couple of years later. Including the plastic packaging.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-27-2021 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-27-2021, 04:18 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I learned the consequences of leaving a cooling lasagna on the stove too long. One evening I baked one of their party size lasagnas and put it on the stovetop to cool before cutting it into meal sized portions. It was still too hot to eat before I had to leave for an evening volunteer stint at the library. Pushed it as far away from the front of the stove as possible and figured it would be fine.
I knew exactly how this story was going to end by the time I got to the bolded. Truth be told, I suspected it from your first sentence, LOL.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:29 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I knew exactly how this story was going to end by the time I got to the bolded. Truth be told, I suspected it from your first sentence, LOL.
Yeah. Some of us always seem to default to naive optimism.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
I've eaten Stouffer's lasagna when cooked by somebody else and it was great, but also find the sauce thin and watery when I've cooked it. Taking the lid or cover off about 20 minutes before serving seemed to help a lot. I liked the idea of adding some tomato paste.
I've also cooked delicious lasagna but it takes time and effort, which are in shorter and shorter supply as I age. Serve the Stouffer's and the hell with what anybody else thinks!

Old 12-15-2021, 03:04 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
A different group of Poker Boys were here last night and I did lasagna. THIS time the frozen lasagna was from Costco. Costco has a choice between beef/sausage or just beef. Knowing DH as I do, I got the sausage/beef combo.

It was good - very little left this morning, so I only had a small serving. But it was NOT runny. It took a bit longer to cook than the package said, but it was VERY meaty. I might prefer the all beef, but this was a very good frozen lasagna. Stouffer's has been permanently replaced with a superior product.

I told DH that they were having Caesar salad as the side (I was out of Texas Toast and didn't feel like running out for some). He disagreed, saying the boys don't eat salad. Guess what was entirely gone after they returned to the poker table? Ha-Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink