Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 01:00 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What do you mean by "hot pot" in this context? Sounds delish, whatever it is.
From a hazy memory (see wine comment) a big stainless steel table unit pot, where we made a broth, had thinly sliced rib eye, shrimp, veggies, egg and stuff. You cook your food in the broth
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 10:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
I don't know if this is a trend, but maybe it's just catching on in places it hasn't been before. There was a Korean hot pot place near my house in San Francisco in the 1980s. I was 7 months pregnant when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck just after 5 p.m. in 1989. The power was out in our neighborhood, but the hot pot place was open, so we went there for dinner. The hot pots used portable gas stoves, and they lit the place with candles. It was an interesting dinner at an interesting time. Someone outside on the sidewalk had a little portable TV, and after dinner we stood in a small crowd watching the news and found out about the Cypress freeway collapsing and how the Marina district suffered so much destruction. Our neighborhood was pretty much unscathed other than the odd chimney or porch here and there. So I always think of that earthquake when I see a hot pot restaurant.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,254 times
Love them! It's a nice leisurely way to dine. Can easily spend 2 hours at one if you pace yourself!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:35 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Another new trendy eats popping up a lot of urban cities is the Hot Pot All You Can Eat places.

It's usually Chinese or Korean flavors, similar to Mongolian AYC where you load up on all kinds of stuff but instead of them cooking the ingredients on a big hot surface. You get a small hot soup pot and you cook it yourself.

Most places charge anywhere from $13-25 per person for nearly unlimited ingredients except the proteins like meats and fish. Everything else is included in the price.

So you can easily go in and serve up the personal hot pot and eat as much as you want with the ingredients and side dishes they provide. But the real catch is to sell you the proteins which cost as much as $10-30/lb depending on what.

Many places sell you crab, shrimp, lobsters, and clams they are about the most priciest stuff to throw into the hot pot.

Then there are the beef, pork, lamb, rarely chicken.

Once you're done you can rack up $40-60 easily for about 2 lbs of meats and seafood.
Having spent a part of my childhood in Taiwan. Hot pot was typically part of the Mongolian BBQ experience. Since the ingredients are similar. You just went up and grabbed your meat/veggies and can either add the sauces for the cooks to stir fry, or bring the stuff back to your table for the hot pot.

I've never liked hot pot unless it's with your immediate family. I know in western tradition, you'll likely have specific utensils (e.g little baskets) for the hot pot. But in Asian culture, you typically just use the same chopstick to cook and eat with. So now you have up to 8 people sticking their chopsticks in one pot.

Yes - I get it's a pot of boiling soup. But that doesn't matter to a germaphobe....

Old 10-20-2021, 09:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I don't know if this is a trend, but maybe it's just catching on in places it hasn't been before. There was a Korean hot pot place near my house in San Francisco in the 1980s. I was 7 months pregnant when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck just after 5 p.m. in 1989. The power was out in our neighborhood, but the hot pot place was open, so we went there for dinner. The hot pots used portable gas stoves, and they lit the place with candles. It was an interesting dinner at an interesting time. Someone outside on the sidewalk had a little portable TV, and after dinner we stood in a small crowd watching the news and found out about the Cypress freeway collapsing and how the Marina district suffered so much destruction. Our neighborhood was pretty much unscathed other than the odd chimney or porch here and there. So I always think of that earthquake when I see a hot pot restaurant.
Maybe your area have not caught on but there are too many hot pot places, chinese, korean, or even japanese style everywhere in NYC. I do believe it will show up in many parts of America because it is very profitable for them with worker shortages there's no need to hire a chef. Since there's no cooking done by the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Love them! It's a nice leisurely way to dine. Can easily spend 2 hours at one if you pace yourself!
That's what they're banking on that you'll have several rounds of their pricy meats. Each dish of meats can be around $13-20 depending on what. So assume you have 6 people with 3 rounds that's easily $15 x 9 dishes.

It's very profitable business over ordering dishes. Because the meats are uncooked and you just cook them yourself in the pot.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I dont think the Mongolian kind is actually Mongolian. I am sure its a marketing gimmick by chinese.
Mongolian BBQ was invented by a Beijing entertainer who took off to Taiwan when the government started to put pressure on him. He opened up a restaurant in Taipei where he served a dish of his own invention, "Beijing BBQ". The name was unpopular for somewhat obvious reasons, so he changed it to "Mongolian".

This was "way" back in the 1950s.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe your area have not caught on but there are too many hot pot places, chinese, korean, or even japanese style everywhere in NYC. I do believe it will show up in many parts of America because it is very profitable for them with worker shortages there's no need to hire a chef. Since there's no cooking done by the place.

That's what they're banking on that you'll have several rounds of their pricy meats. Each dish of meats can be around $13-20 depending on what. So assume you have 6 people with 3 rounds that's easily $15 x 9 dishes.

It's very profitable business over ordering dishes. Because the meats are uncooked and you just cook them yourself in the pot.
You keep mentioning pricy meats. Are you expecting the restaurant to sell you meat cheaper than the other foods like starches and vegetables? Newsflash - meats are expensive, and seafood is even more expensive. Of course they are banking on it - it's how they can stay in business and make a living. Shame on them, right?

If you want meats that are cheap and prepared in a restaurant, stick to the AYCE Chinese buffets. You get what you pay for.

If $13-20 for a dish of meat seems too pricy, then maybe this isn't the right dining experience for you. Save some money and make your own at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink