Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 07:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

This was the most common apple for as long as I remember but in recent years you see less and less of them. Now, in many places they aren’t even available. Definitely no organic ones. Lots of Gala, Pink Lady, Honey Crisps, Fuji and Granny Smith’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 07:54 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Use to be my favorite apple!!
Macintosh is most popular up here but red delicious was my fav

We just went thru apple picking season … we didn’t make it to an orchard
But some of the apple places are still open … trying to avoid because they usually have apple cider doughnuts and that’s something I can’t resist ..
but I’ll stop and see if they have red deliciousness…. Maybe they identify themselves
Differently today.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:15 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
They tasted bitter to me. I thought that they were mealy. Mom always bought McIntosh.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Red delicious...Mealy apple with zero tartness = bland. It's a pretty apple, that was created for its visual appeal and not much more.

I think consumers have shifted to better tasting apples vs. looks alone, like Honeycrisp, Jazz, Pink Lady, Opal, and Envy.

Galas and Fujis are in virtually every supermarket.

Haven't seen Pippin apples in a long time - they were similar to Granny Smith, but not quite as tart as I remember. It's been a while though.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:22 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
The Red Delicious had all its "delicious" bred out of it in favor of appearance and ability to meet mass production marketing. Became flavorless and mealy. The "Red Delicious" in the stores had little in common, except the name, with the traditional Red Delicious from decades ago. With better tasing apples appearing in stores, they had little choice but to replace the tress with the better tasting varieties.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:31 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Factory farming. I remember when they were new - at least in my area - and they were. They were crisp and sweet and not mealy. And my grandfather and I had an Abbot and Costello routine going over what kind of apple was I eating?

Old 11-25-2021, 06:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
I disagree with the assessment that they were flavorless. I remember buying organic red delicious back in the 2000’s and they were the most fragrant, flavorful, sweet and juicy apples I’ve ever had.

If tartness was so desired then how come Fuji’s are so popular now? They have zero tartness and no flavor.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:34 AM

182 posts, read 119,873 times
The red delicious became a dominant variety because of three attributes:

*color
*uniformity (both color and size/shape)
*durability (it could handle long shipping/warehousing/floor time before sale)

Taste? Not so much.

It was never a good culinary variety, and it has gotten progressively worse over the decades.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:52 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Factory farming. I remember when they were new - at least in my area - and they were. They were crisp and sweet and not mealy. And my grandfather and I had an Abbot and Costello routine going over what kind of apple was I eating?
What kind of apple are you eating?

Delicious.

Yeah, but what KIND of apple? LOL

The red delicious began life as a stubborn seedling on the Iowa prairie in 1872. The farmer tried to destroy it but it kept on coming back. https://specialtyproduce.com/produce...pples_2011.php

Every year for the three or four weeks before Christmas someone (town council? PTA?) would sponsor Saturday afternoon movies in the high school gym for us kids.

On the final Saturday before Christmas Santa would arrive and pass out to each of us as we went out the door a small paper bag. In it were old fashioned Christmas candy, salted peanuts in the shell and a red delicious apple.

I sound like such a complainer now when I say it but hardly a kid alive liked that kind of candy - the fragile, shatter-into-a-million-pieces ribbon candy, others filled with jam or peanut butter and the rest flavored with cinnamon, cloves and licorice. And the nuts gave you a lot of volume without much bang for the buck. But for me the worst by far was that tough, dry and tasteless Delicious apple.

And ironically, I was excited about getting it! I had heard my mom's story about getting one orange in her stocking at Christmas time.

One more thought - Waldorf salad.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:15 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What kind of apple are you eating?

Delicious.

Yeah, but what KIND of apple? LOL

The red delicious began life as a stubborn seedling on the Iowa prairie in 1872. The farmer tried to destroy it but it kept on coming back. https://specialtyproduce.com/produce...pples_2011.php

Every year for the three or four weeks before Christmas someone (town council? PTA?) would sponsor Saturday afternoon movies in the high school gym for us kids.

On the final Saturday before Christmas Santa would arrive and pass out to each of us as we went out the door a small paper bag. In it were old fashioned Christmas candy, salted peanuts in the shell and a red delicious apple.

I sound like such a complainer now when I say it but hardly a kid alive liked that kind of candy - the fragile, shatter-into-a-million-pieces ribbon candy, others filled with jam or peanut butter and the rest flavored with cinnamon, cloves and licorice. And the nuts gave you a lot of volume without much bang for the buck. But for me the worst by far was that tough, dry and tasteless Delicious apple.

And ironically, I was excited about getting it! I had heard my mom's story about getting one orange in her stocking at Christmas time.

One more thought - Waldorf salad.
When I was a kid our church did that for everyone who attended Christmas Eve service. Each bag had two different candy bars, pecans and walnuts, 3 Red Delicious, 3 Golden Delicious, and 3 oranges. Sounds funny to say it now, but those Christmas oranges were a treat we looked forward to all year. Funny thing is, it wasn't that many years ago. It was really the growth of the logistics train we're all experiencing problems with now that allowed fresh fruit to be shipped everywhere so that things are available pretty much year round.

Oh, and as a kid, it was a huge promotion to be allowed to help build the bags on Christmas Eve morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink