Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2021, 11:49 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,306,420 times

Advertisements

I ate at a Korean restaurant and ordered a rib soup. It used beef short ribs pieces that are about 2.5" long. The meat is very very tasty.

It was also a bit pricy -- the black iron bowl is just about 6~7" in diameter, and the meal is $18. I want to cook that at home myself.

In Asian markets near me they sell beef ribs cut into 1/2" strips; is that the same meat just cut into different shape, or a different portion of the beef short rib that is used for soup?

Also, for soup is there any need to consider the grade of the beef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 12:56 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

In Asian markets near me they sell beef ribs cut into 1/2" strips; is that the same meat just cut into different shape, or a different portion of the beef short rib that is used for soup?

Also, for soup is there any need to consider the grade of the beef?

What you are looking for is Beef Short Ribs cut FLANKEN style. They are sold at nearly every Asian market, especially at Korean markets like Super H-Mart for approximately $5.95/ lb. You can use them in soups or you can roast them in about 45 minutes as the meat is sliced thinly.

As for grade of meat. it is critical if you are talking steaks and roasts. However, in any application where the meat will be cooked low and slow (i.e., soups stews, etc.) who cares? We used to send our old (5-7 year) cows to a processor and have all of the meat converted to stew meat and ground beef and primal cuts were saved for canning. The advantage of the older meat was that it is more flavorful and we did not really care about tenderness.

Soups are also a great use for "past prime" vegetables like limp celery, sprouting onions and the like.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What you are looking for is Beef Short Ribs cut FLANKEN style. They are sold at nearly every Asian market, especially at Korean markets like Super H-Mart for approximately $5.95/ lb. You can use them in soups or you can roast them in about 45 minutes as the meat is sliced thinly.

As for grade of meat. it is critical if you are talking steaks and roasts. However, in any application where the meat will be cooked low and slow (i.e., soups stews, etc.) who cares? We used to send our old (5-7 year) cows to a processor and have all of the meat converted to stew meat and ground beef and primal cuts were saved for canning. The advantage of the older meat was that it is more flavorful and we did not really care about tenderness.

Soups are also a great use for "past prime" vegetables like limp celery, sprouting onions and the like.

Hope that helps.
Excellent info!!

Flanken style are sliced off the chuck short ribs .. ( thinly)

Two major types of beef ribs
The chuck short ribs are the meaty ones
And the other are the bones under a rib eye
Much less meat … but still tasty

Most restaurants will use the short ribs
Slow cooked

Although years ago .. the “ all you could eat “ beef ribs were the one under the rib eye ( sometimes called beef back ribs or feather rib bones)

For “ Boneless Beef Ribs”. This is no official cut/muscle for these ( well, under a chuck eye steak, also called a Denver” steak or chuck flat meat)

For years stores made boneless beef ribs out of top blade ( chuck)
But with the popularity of the flat iron steak ( same muscle) stores moved from using top blades
Many are cross cutting a chuck steak for boneless beef ribs

If you see very lean “ boneless beef ribs”. I’d definitely slow cook them and not just throw
On grill .. they’ll be tough

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-26-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink