Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 06:24 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,886 times

Advertisements

Well it's been along time (decades since my early 20's) since I did any baking, let alone cooking
But after reading recipes on the internet and watching U-tube videos, I finally did it...
I baked some bran muffins with raisins, then a loaf of banana bread (no nuts) and they both turned out great.

Now I'm excited about more baking and want some feedback on a concern:

Since I'm single and don't see eating all this stuff, I'm thinking of baking and bringing it to work for some of the women to eat.
What's your thought on bringing baked loaves of banana bread, ginger bread and pumpkin bread.

Do you think these would be popular morning treats at an office?
I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 10:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Yes, by all means. I used to bring in treats like you described all the time when I had a corporate job. A word of advice, though - slice the loaves at home before you take it in. I would slice them with my electric knife for accuracy, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices, then I'd slice the entire loaf in half lengthwise. I'd wrap it all up snugly in aluminum foil and then take it in.

Reasons:

Don't take it in the pan - If you have a non-stick loaf pan, someone will no doubt hack into the coating with something sharp and ruin your pan. Hence, no pan.

Pre-slicing the loaf - People will see the intact loaf and wonder when someone else will dare to cut into it. Or, wonder if it would seem presumptuous if they themselves were the first to cut off a piece. It will sit there untouched potentially until lunchtime.

Slicing each slice in half - There's always that one person who just HAS to tell everyone that they can't eat a whole piece because they are on a diet or whatever, so they will mangle a slice and put back to remnants. People will see the manhandled piece, wonder if it was just broken or bitten into, think it's now got cooties and they stop eating from the loaf.

To save yourself some time, you can place a post it note next to the loaf and indicate if there are any allergens - eggs, nuts, berries, animal products, etc. I always listened out for when a colleague was allergic or avoidant of something for any reason. I would make an effort to occasionally make something they would also enjoy, like my vegan triple chocolate frosted cupcakes.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:31 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I think that's a very nice thing to do, outdoorman. And it's always interesting to see what men cook.

You may get the usual groans from the perpetual dieters, but don't give them too much weight.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Well it's been along time (decades since my early 20's) since I did any baking, let alone cooking
But after reading recipes on the internet and watching U-tube videos, I finally did it...
I baked some bran muffins with raisins, then a loaf of banana bread (no nuts) and they both turned out great.

Now I'm excited about more baking and want some feedback on a concern:

Since I'm single and don't see eating all this stuff, I'm thinking of baking and bringing it to work for some of the women to eat.
What's your thought on bringing baked loaves of banana bread, ginger bread and pumpkin bread.

I
You can also freeze breads.

I'd suggest getting the little loaf pans and freezing the extras. Or cutting a big loaf into thirds and freezing the sections.

Then take out of freezer night before you want it, slice it and TOAST it. Better texture after freezing that way.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:45 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
bringing it to work for some of the women to eat.
Only some of the women, and none of the men? It sounds like something everyone would enjoy.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:56 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:

Three years ago, I would have said it's a great idea. In the current environment, I think a lot of people are going to be weary of sharing food. Some offices may discourage it completely.

My company is still working remotely, but we've already been told that if/when we go back to the office, to expect changes when it comes to food in the office. There will no longer be potlucks nor 'self-serve' type lunches ordered for meetings (just boxed lunches). If we bring food in, we will only be allowed to consume it at our desks (no more breakroom gatherings). The refrigerators will be emptied at the end of each day. And no food is to be left sitting out in the breakroom.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Only some of the women, and none of the men? It sounds like something everyone would enjoy.
(Except for a contractor that is part time/temporary) there are only women in my office

Wow: I just noticed you italicized 'some' of the women; well, I didn't mean 'some' in the literal sense. I meant the women that I work with.

Last edited by outdoorman; 02-15-2022 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Three years ago, I would have said it's a great idea. In the current environment, I think a lot of people are going to be weary of sharing food. Some offices may discourage it completely.

My company is still working remotely, but we've already been told that if/when we go back to the office, to expect changes when it comes to food in the office. There will no longer be potlucks nor 'self-serve' type lunches ordered for meetings (just boxed lunches). If we bring food in, we will only be allowed to consume it at our desks (no more breakroom gatherings). The refrigerators will be emptied at the end of each day. And no food is to be left sitting out in the breakroom.

For a time there was a restriction on group meals/social gatherings at work but that has been lifted for months; We've had a few office birthday and holiday gatherings, etc since.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

For a time there was a restriction on group meals/social gatherings at work but that has been lifted for months; We've had a few office birthday gatherings, etc since.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:38 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Agree about pre-slicing the bread for another reason. If the servings are already cut, the bread ends up being handled less by fewer people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink