Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

749 posts, read 2,773,691 times

Advertisements

Well I am getting no replies in the recipe section.

I bought my first brisket yesterday. No idea what to do with it

How do you cook yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,621,740 times
I just got 3 that were on sale for $1.19/#, brisket is awsome smoked.

Do you have a smoker?

Did you buy a packer brisket? Trimmed flat? Point?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM

I'm guessing that if this is your first brisket, you didn't buy a 12# packer brisket. I bet you have a trimmed flat. I'm also guessing since this is you first brisket that you don't have a smoker. I'm not going to be much help, but I'll tell you what I know.

Probably not much fat on it, so you'll need to be careful not to dry it out. I've done these before on the smoker and I laid strips of bacon on top to help keep it moist.

I'm not a crock pot user, I just don't know how really. So I'm talk'n using the oven or grill at LOW temps, 225-250max.

You'll want to rub it down with kosher salt, blk pepper, garlic pwdr, onion pwdr, paprika, cayenne. Pour some worchest sauce or olive oil on the meat then add the rub and let it set for 20 min, rub it all over the meat too.

Cook to an internal temp of 190 or so until you can push a meat thermom into it like butter.

Keep it moist by spritz'n w/beer(what I use anyway) or applejuice.

good luck

Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
I put my brisket in the crockpot on low heat for hours and hours. Put in a little bbq sauce and slice up an onion and you are good to go. When it is done it will be falling apart and easily shredded with a fork.

Delicious served on whole wheat hamburger buns with pickles and sweet onion slices.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
i have made brisket just a couple of times. i boiled with the packet that comes wth it. it usualy takes about 3 hours on a med-low heat. very tasty with mustard on rye!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,865,204 times
This takes total cook time of 3-4 hrs at 300 in oven.

Layer of sliced onions
3-4 cloves garlic chopped scattered on onions
Brisket
Mix 1 c ketchup, 3/4 c brown sugar, 1/2c vinegar, 1 c water.
Pour over.
Cover and cook.

It's sweet and sour and great w/mashed potatoes.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i have made brisket just a couple of times. i boiled with the packet that comes wth it. it usualy takes about 3 hours on a med-low heat. very tasty with mustard on rye!
I don't think the OP bought a corned beef, just a plain brisket.

I agree though, corned beef is very tasty!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
BOILED?!!! If I EVER hear that you boiled meat again I'll send the cops after you!

You loose all the flavor when you boil. Findinghope, lets change that to Finding-a-smoker.

Just joke'n. I agree w/Debsi, sounds like you had corned beef.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,156,513 times
I made one yesterday. You don't need a smoker to make one. I usually make it in the smoker I have but will now just use my charcoal grill (It turned out much better.) I agree about the charcoal chimney it really helps with flavor and lights up much quicker.

The day before you make it marinade it in a Brisket marinade (if you can find one) otherwise you can make a dry rub. I in a way do both I marinade it and then sprinkle spices on it front and back. Usually I use Penzey's Northwood's Fire, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder (spice it according to taste.) If you can marinade it for 24 hours the better flavor it will have be don't do it any longer than 24 hours.

With a regular charcoal grill light your charcoal in the chimney if you have one or spread out the charcoal on the back half and light it. Leave the front of the grill free of coals. The way it gets indirect heat. After grill is heated place brisket on the front of the grill (the part without the charcoal underneath it.) Check the fire about every 30 minutes and use your grill vents to regulate the temp. Also if you want it to have a smokey flavor get some wood chunks and wood chips. Lay one or two wood chucks among the coals (replace as necessary) and add chips (again add as necessary) to keep the smoke coming. I use 90% Mesquite wood and 10% Hickory. How much you use is up to how smokey you want your meat.** I forgot to add use a small metal bowl and add water to it and place it on the grill it will help keep the meat moist add more water when necessary...

It takes about 8-9 hours for a 14-15 lb brisket. So keep an eye on it if it's smaller and add time if it's a bigger brisket.

I will warn you the first time it might not come out as well as you expected but with time it will get better. My first one wasn't all that great. Happy eating!!

Last edited by moeowo; 05-23-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something...

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM

849 posts, read 1,954,292 times
Try this one! I've made it a couple of times. This is amazing!!

Cooking » Blog Archive » Brisket, Baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink