Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 01:51 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Ladies, thank you so much, jumped in the car, drove down to the neighborhood store, small store, but all they had was white lily all purpose flour, I was afraid to get it, but shrugged, worth a try...came home and made the cake for the 4th time, guess what, it WORKED!!!!

During Covid they were all out of Gold Medal where I shop so I was picking up White Lilly flour and I must have been picking up self rising flour.... and for 2 years couldn't bake a decent cake...thought it was the oven, but I went out and bought an oven thermometer....and I had resolved myself to believe that I just can't bake anymore....as a last ditch effort, came on here and decided to ask some bakers their opinions, and yupper, it was the Flour....

Thank you, and I mean that sincerely, gaining back confidence, and will certainly watch what Kind of Flour I'm picking up from now on, lesson learned....lol

(what a ditz)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I think you've figured it out. You've likely mistaken White Lily's self-rising flour for all-purpose flour. (My grocery carries White Lily only in self-rising. Perhaps yours does too.) Over-leavening will cause a cake to rise too fast and then fall when it's removed from the oven.
your absolutely right....

as I said before, there was a lady at the flour department when all the Gold Medal was gone, and I asked her what she used, she said she wouldn't use anything but White Lily....it's a great flour, for sure, but I noticed while it as backing it took on a volcanic look to it? lol....my oh my, I would have never thought....

Mission Accomplished, without the help of Tom Cruz....lol

Old 09-25-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
You added BAKING POWDER to Lily Flour which is ALL PURPOSE, so your cakes have had too much baking powder & they caved in, could this be it?
no actually I believe it was self rising Lily Flour, they make bread flour also...which I do use....

thank you though.....

Old 09-25-2022, 02:10 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Great news, Creme Brulee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your absolutely right....

as I said before, there was a lady at the flour department when all the Gold Medal was gone, and I asked her what she used, she said she wouldn't use anything but White Lily....it's a great flour, for sure, but I noticed while it as backing it took on a volcanic look to it? lol....my oh my, I would have never thought....

Mission Accomplished, without the help of Tom Cruz....lol
And since I am really tired, I got the terms mixed up, so sorry

The White Lily Flour is supposed to be really good. And the SELF RISING one is a lot more expensive, because supposedly you can make biscuits with it by just adding butter or heavy whipping cream, not sure...

Like I mentioned in another post, the claim is that you can make biscuits with White Lilly with just 2 ingredients, the flour & cream....And the Self-Rising is the one you were using that gave you problems.

I am glad that you figured it out! This cake must be delicious! With the All-Purpose Flour.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Ladies, thank you so much, jumped in the car, drove down to the neighborhood store, small store, but all they had was white lily all purpose flour, I was afraid to get it, but shrugged, worth a try...came home and made the cake for the 4th time, guess what, it WORKED!!!!

During Covid they were all out of Gold Medal where I shop so I was picking up White Lilly flour and I must have been picking up self rising flour.... and for 2 years couldn't bake a decent cake...thought it was the oven, but I went out and bought an oven thermometer....and I had resolved myself to believe that I just can't bake anymore....as a last ditch effort, came on here and decided to ask some bakers their opinions, and yupper, it was the Flour....

Thank you, and I mean that sincerely, gaining back confidence, and will certainly watch what Kind of Flour I'm picking up from now on, lesson learned....lol

(what a ditz)

Well, you can actually think Alton Brown’s Meemaw, who uses the white lily self rising flour to make her biscuits. I think I’ve seen that episode of good eats about five times and she’s a hoot. And that’s why I remember the name of that flour!

Old 09-25-2022, 08:20 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
I have always used White Lily because it is what my mother used.

The medallion on the front of the package identifies the type of flour. You can even get labels for your canisters so you know which flour is in them. See here, about half way down the page.

https://whitelilyflourstore.com/

Old 09-26-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
And since I am really tired, I got the terms mixed up, so sorry

The White Lily Flour is supposed to be really good. And the SELF RISING one is a lot more expensive, because supposedly you can make biscuits with it by just adding butter or heavy whipping cream, not sure...

Like I mentioned in another post, the claim is that you can make biscuits with White Lilly with just 2 ingredients, the flour & cream....And the Self-Rising is the one you were using that gave you problems.

I am glad that you figured it out! This cake must be delicious! With the All-Purpose Flour.
Thank you, so much.

I must have been picking up self rising, but yesterday I went to the store and it had white lily all purpose flour, so that's what I used....I don't make biscuts much, but will have to try...usually make home made bread because the kids love it....but going to make popovers next dinner....

This cake I made I wrapped and froze. Its a 3 layer 8 inch and will put lemon curd between the layers, and then frost it with cream cheese and whipping cream frosting.

I love to cook, and bake, but baking cakes has been a real chore, and I feel so free that I've figured it out with the help of so many nice ladies here....

my kids come over once a week for dinner and this week, I'm making PA dutch corn pie for them. We all love PA dutch food....

Many thanks

Old 09-26-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have always used White Lily because it is what my mother used.

The medallion on the front of the package identifies the type of flour. You can even get labels for your canisters so you know which flour is in them. See here, about half way down the page.

https://whitelilyflourstore.com/
yupper, I figured out the labels yesterday when I went to the store, I like White Lily. When we were about in the middle of Covid and supplies at the store were short, I believe all they had at the times that I went for flour, was White Lily self rising....and thought it would work....honestly, I don't know that much about flours or baking, just follow recipes....but ya learn something every day, even in my ol age....lol

What is unbleached flour used for?

Old 09-26-2022, 07:33 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
yupper, I figured out the labels yesterday when I went to the store, I like White Lily. When we were about in the middle of Covid and supplies at the store were short, I believe all they had at the times that I went for flour, was White Lily self rising....and thought it would work....honestly, I don't know that much about flours or baking, just follow recipes....but ya learn something every day, even in my ol age....lol

What is unbleached flour used for?
Never used it, so I had to look it up:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...hed-flour#uses

Old 09-26-2022, 10:21 AM

21,938 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
check your oven thermostat. Sounds like your temps are out of whack / unsteady.

I would also get fresh baking powder (it degrades over time), but since you have the same problem with box cakes, your oven is a strong suspect in the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink