Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 02:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Those Lifesaver books were always peeking out the top of our stockings on Christmas morning! Packs of gum at the bottom. Other treats in between (no toys; those were all wrapped under the tree). I recently saw one of those Sweet Storybooks and was made sad; it's now ALL assorted flavors (no more Butter Rum; my favorite) and only on one side. But at least they're still around! I would have no problem eating them now; who doesn't love a Lifesaver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 03:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
We always had a bowl of nuts at Christmas time with a nutcracker to open them. I still like that tradition and the orange in the toe of the stocking.

Never liked those assorted hard candies. At least the ribbon candy is pretty.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:42 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My grandmother used to get a woven tray of dried fruits from her maiden sisters at Christmas time. It was so beautifully arranged with some wrapped in gold foil and a little ivory pick.

She'd save it until I came to visit and let me have first choice which felt so very special. I didn't like dates or figs so
I always chose an apricot but still I'd spend my time looking at everything before I picked it.

She'd also have a dish of those candy raspberries with a dab of raspberry jam inside. One year I bought a bag for us just for nostalgia's sake. They weren't as good as I remembered them.
Awwww - my grandma liked the exact same dried fruit...but also Russell Stover cream candies (no "nutty/chewy" since she had dentures!). With the candy she let me pick one and it was always the yellow covered coconut - there was only one in the box!

I wonder why she didn't have trouble with the dried fruit with those dentures? ...the mysteries of life.

Oh - also the pretty ribbon candy and other hard candies in a white bag handed out by Santa from the bandstand in the town square - that was really special but it'd be a little too sweet for me these days and probably not made from the same ingredients anyway.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:45 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,108,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We used to eat a concoction of cool whip, canned cherries, pecans, pineapple, marshmallows and maybe something else. My husband hated it so it never became a tradition for my kids. I still like it, but no point in making it for me since I can't eat more than one serving.

Lifesavers used to come in books. I don't think I would be a fan now.

I still love peppermint candy canes and butter mints. Don't tell my family, I bought a container of the soft peppermint pieces that melt in your mouth about a month ago. I've been enjoying them all by myself. ;D
My mother used to make a pineapple dessert with a filling composed of Cool Whip, crushed pineapple, cream cheese, and marshmallows in a rectangular shallow glass casserole dish with a homemade buttery crumb crust which included chopped walnuts. It was very tasty, but after I understood that Cool Whip is just a bunch of chemicals made in a laboratory, the dish lost favor with me. I'm wondering if the filling were made with fresh whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, would it have the same texture. It would certainly be healthier.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
My mother used to make a pineapple dessert with a filling composed of Cool Whip, crushed pineapple, cream cheese, and marshmallows in a rectangular shallow glass casserole dish with a homemade buttery crumb crust which included chopped walnuts. It was very tasty, but after I understood that Cool Whip is just a bunch of chemicals made in a laboratory, the dish lost favor with me. I'm wondering if the filling were made with fresh whipped cream instead of Cool Whip, would it have the same texture. It would certainly be healthier.
I would definitely whip up a batch with home made real whipped heavy cream, in your place. You could make a small batch because the cream will begin to deflate and "weep" after a day or two. Or you could make the whipped cream like the patisseries in Europe, where they add a bit of dissolved gelatin to it when whipping so that it's more stable in the pastry. If you do decide to experiment with this, come back and let us know how it turned out

Old 12-12-2022, 09:27 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
It's not a Christmas candy, but those Cadbury Cream eggs that come out at Easter used to be a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and then I had one as an adult and it was sickeningly sweet to me. I couldn't even finish the thing. I'm much more into dark chocolate now, than I ever was back then.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:32 AM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I'm thinking of the ones I hated and still do - spice drops. Gum drops were OK but spice drops - ugh. And you couldn't tell them apart without seeing the package.
*small voice* I like spice drops. Those are the only gum drops I can tolerate. Regular gum drops just taste like sugar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
It's not a Christmas candy, but those Cadbury Cream eggs that come out at Easter used to be a favorite of mine when I was a kid, and then I had one as an adult and it was sickeningly sweet to me. I couldn't even finish the thing. I'm much more into dark chocolate now, than I ever was back then.
Try the caramel version. They're not as cloyingly sweet as the original Creme Eggs.

As a kid I used to love those red and white striped peppermint candy canes at Christmastime, but now I can take them or leave them. The same goes for those pastel after-dinner mints and the white ones with the green jelly center.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:16 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Taffy, I could never appreciate its appeal.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:46 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I still like the cherry cordials, can't find them in dark chocolate anymore
Find a Russian/Polish/European grocery - they import them from Poland now.
If money isn’t an issue - they ask an arm and a leg for the similar ones on Amazon - Turin brand

https://www.amazon.com/Chocolates-Fi.../dp/B01A6VIZ6S

Old 12-13-2022, 01:49 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
HarryandDavid.com and Godiva.com both have them in dark chocolate, but the prices are quite a bit more than I remember them.
I don’t think they have real liquor in those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink