Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 01:53 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 109* View Post
pigs feet. lol ive never tried it but i think its gotta be really gross, they sell it at the local grocery store along with pig tounge
I actually enjoy pigs feet They serve them at some of the local Chinese restaurants we frequent. The gelatinous goodness holds in flavor pretty well

As for worst tasting foods, this is a hard one for me. Maybe licorice? I've always hated the flavor associated with licorice. Oh, and chitterlings. No matter how well people claim to have cleaned them, I've always found an unpleasant aftertaste that makes me gag. I don't even bother nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 03:42 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I actually enjoy pigs feet They serve them at some of the local Chinese restaurants we frequent. The gelatinous goodness holds in flavor pretty well

As for worst tasting foods, this is a hard one for me. Maybe licorice? I've always hated the flavor associated with licorice. Oh, and chitterlings. No matter how well people claim to have cleaned them, I've always found an unpleasant after taste that makes me gag. I don't even bother nowadays.

A lot of awful sounding food often tastes very nice, including sweetbreads, they just sound revolting, and pigs feet (trotters) are eaten in France and other parts of Europe, as well as in China, whilst authentic Chinese restaurants will also serve chicken feet and other such items.

Personally, I don't think animals parts should be wasted, although I draw the line in terms of eating animals brains.

In terms of the French and other European nations, they have quite the selection, from pigs ears to duck hearts to trotters/hoofs through to organs such as lung, kidneys, liver, brains etc and lets not forget the testicles or more controversial food such as Ortolans (small buntings) or force fed duck or geese in relation to Foie gras, whilst pâtés usually contain offal.

In terms of brain, Tête de veau (French 'calf's head') or testina di vitello (Italian) is a dish consisting of a calf's head, commonly found in French, Belgian, German, Swiss, and Italian cuisine.

Beef brains and veal (juvenile beef) or calf's brains are used in the cuisines of France (Cerveaux -Ox, Lamb Or Sheep’s Brains); Italy; Spain; El Salvador; Mexico, etc. where they are called sesos in Spanish and are eaten in tacos and quesadillas; Pakistan and Bangladesh, where they are known in Urdu and Bengali as Maghaz; Portugal; and Indonesia.

Calf's brains, or cervelle de veau, is a traditional delicacy in Europe and Morocco. It is the brain of a calf consumed as meat. It is often served with tongue, sauteed with beurre noir and capers, or mixed with scrambled eggs. In Italy, cervella fritte is a popular dish made of bite-sized batter-fried morsels of beef brain.

Other foods that contain organs/offal and blood include blood tongue, black pudding (blood), White pudding (offal) tripe (stomach lining) and haggis, all of which are nice if prepared properly, although I hate the mere small of tripe being cooked.

17 Weird French Foods You Must Try While In France - Dreams in Paris (2022)

Some of the food on some menus reminds me of Monty Pythons 'Life of Brian' when the food vendor had a selection of Larks' tongues. Otters' noses and Ocelot spleens.

I do however recommend the Badgers noses and Sparrow beaks, they are simply delicious, as is the Lamb pancreas and fawns appendix, which was only out done by the stewed Owl and roasted Swan - only joking.

Sometimes it's more to do with the off putting presentation rather than the actual taste, as can be seen in the picture in this link which shows a pigs snout served in sauce, which just has too much resemblance to the poor deceased animal for my taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jlv68ohRAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unt6ROrcS44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJvh_3NWRo

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-03-2023 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-03-2023, 02:46 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Liver, kidney, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, sour cream, anything with mayonnaise on it.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:46 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
So I have never had this stuff, and never will, but Surströmming is a fermented/rotten herring "food" from Sweden that many say is the most disgusting thing that humans actually eat. If you look on YouTube, there are probably at least 100 (maybe 1000) Surströmming taste test videos and most feature people graphically vomiting over the mere smell of it, and apparently, it doesn't get any better if you have the fortitude to actually eat it.

P.S. Here are some young lads from neighboring Finland who are game to test their mettle with Surströmming. The carnage is at once ghastly and funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu7bHj81WI

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-03-2023 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 07:09 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So I have never had this stuff, and never will, but Surströmming is a fermented/rotten herring "food" from Sweden that many say is the most disgusting thing that humans actually eat. If you look on YouTube, there are probably at least 100 (maybe 1000) Surströmming taste test videos and most feature people graphically vomiting over the mere smell of it, and apparently, it doesn't get any better if you have the fortitude to actually eat it.

P.S. Here are some young lads from neighboring Finland who are game to test their mettle with Surströmming. The carnage is at once ghastly and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu7bHj81WI

Cab I join your club, please?

Old 04-04-2023, 03:39 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post

Pickled herring and other pickled foods can be divisive.

Britain sells most of it's herring to other parts of Europe, including Northern and Eastern Europe, where pickled herring is far more popular than in the UK.

Fish cured through pickling or salting have long been consumed in the British Isles, however Jellied eels are more of a local dish in relation to the working class East End of London, whilst smoked Kippers (Herring) are also a divisive food and acquired taste.

Sea snails such as Whelks and Winkles, as well as molluscs such as Cockles, Mussels and Oysters, also often divide opinion, as does Octopus (Calamari).

Crustaceans such as Crabs, Lobsters, Crayfish, Shrimp (Prawns or Langoustine) are by contrast far more popular, and far less divisive in terms of most public opinion.

As for Surströmming, it's not something I would even want to attempt to eat.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-04-2023 at 04:01 AM..

Old 04-04-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Pickled herring and other pickled foods can be divisive.

Britain sells most of it's herring to other parts of Europe, including Northern and Eastern Europe, where pickled herring is far more popular than in the UK.

Fish cured through pickling or salting have long been consumed in the British Isles, however Jellied eels are more of a local dish in relation to the working class East End of London, whilst smoked Kippers (Herring) are also a divisive food and acquired taste.

Sea snails such as Whelks and Winkles, as well as molluscs such as Cockles, Mussels and Oysters, also often divide opinion, as does Octopus (Calamari).

Crustaceans such as Crabs, Lobsters, Crayfish, Shrimp (Prawns or Langoustine) are by contrast far more popular, and far less divisive in terms of most public opinion.

As for Surströmming, it's not something I would even want to attempt to eat.
I just tried smoked herring for the first time last week - found some at my local supermarket. Since it's my one and only experience, I don't know if this was just poorly done or not. Normally I like smoked fish - smoked salmon, bluefish, haddock, mussels... but this herring was smoked dark, was pretty dry and had an intensely strong smoky smell that you could smell right through the package and equally intense smoky taste, and it was also very salty. I had pieces on whole grain crackers with whipped cream cheese. It wasn't awful, but the smoke and salt tastes were both just too strong for me, and I gave up after a handful of pieces! Still willing to try again, but from another supplier that hopefully treats the fish less aggressively with smoke and salt.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Liver
Wine
Sherry
Burnt microwave popcorn
Oysters (and i love all other seafood)
Any meat fat
Hot spices
Sour fruit
Meats with fake smoke flavor

Old 04-04-2023, 05:45 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Black licorice
Egg Nog
Brains, lungs, stomach, pretty much all that stuff except chicken livers, love them.
I am open to try most things at least once.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Black licorice
Egg Nog
Brains, lungs, stomach, pretty much all that stuff except chicken livers, love them.
I am open to try most things at least once.
I don't like organ meats, but I will say that I made a pate' for the holidays one time out of the Silver Palate cookbook, and that was absolutely delicious - despite a base of chicken livers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink