Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 06:34 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Not sure if Mid’s is sold nationally, but it’s an Ohio spaghetti sauce company that is available in the south. It’s very good and I’ve bought it for years, for features not found in other sauces.

Until recently, it still came in a 32 oz. jar. The meat sauce and Italian sausage have so much visible meat that you don’t have to add any. They had lots of different varieties, including sausage with peppers, and chunky garden vegetable, etc. Now, the stores only seem to have marinara, and a few other ho hum varieties, the same as all the other brands. Why would a company dumb down its product to be the same as everybody else?

Now, they have gone to 28oz. jars, which I suppose was a necessary cost cutting measure. Fine and dandy, but where are all the special varieties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 06:41 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure if Mid’s is sold nationally, but it’s an Ohio spaghetti sauce company that is available in the south. It’s very good and I’ve bought it for years, for features not found in other sauces.

Until recently, it still came in a 32 oz. jar. The meat sauce and Italian sausage have so much visible meat that you don’t have to add any. They had lots of different varieties, including sausage with peppers, and chunky garden vegetable, etc. Now, the stores only seem to have marinara, and a few other ho hum varieties, the same as all the other brands. Why would a company dumb down its product to be the same as everybody else?

Now, they have gone to 28oz. jars, which I suppose was a necessary cost cutting measure. Fine and dandy, but where are all the special varieties?
I wonder if the lack of variety is a regional thing as my local market here in Pittsburgh carries the wide variety of Mid's sauces that it always did. The meat and sausage versions are very popular here.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:15 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I wonder if the lack of variety is a regional thing as my local market here in Pittsburgh carries the wide variety of Mid's sauces that it always did. The meat and sausage versions are very popular here.
Have your stores gone to the 28 oz size yet? The scarcity of flavors happened after that. Maybe, since you are nearer to Ohio, it’s more popular. I keep hoping they are just not up to full speed with the new size yet.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Have your stores gone to the 28 oz size yet? The scarcity of flavors happened after that. Maybe, since you are nearer to Ohio, it’s more popular. I keep hoping they are just not up to full speed with the new size yet.
I'll have to check to see if the size of the jar has changed next time I'm at my neighborhood grocery store (I mostly shop at Aldi, but I pop into my local store for sales and things that I cannot purchase at Aldi).

Old 08-01-2023, 08:12 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
It's probably more that your grocery store wasn't selling all the different varieties, so they stopped ordering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink