Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 11:47 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,407,700 times

Advertisements

I used to use a coffee machine to brew coffee because it was much easier and faster. Admittedly, I'm lazy so convenience was the way to go. But the machines are harder to clean and can get disgusting overtime, and it sometimes leads me to have an upset stomach, which is bad. Using the pour over brewing method, while more tedious and time consuming, is much cleaner because the plastic cone is easy to clean. Not to mention, coffee tastes more flavorful too because the water doesn't drip as fast.

But one thing I can't get over is that these cone filters are so hard to find and they are more expensive too. Not many stores carry them. They only carry the basket filters. And what's even funnier is the fact the basket filters are sold in bigger bulks, which is usually a pack of 200 for $2. But the cone filters are like $2.39 for 100 filters.

https://www.target.com/p/melitta-nat...e-filter-100ct

Why are these cone filters more expensive and harder to find than regular basket filters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 01:38 PM

23,271 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Just speculating here. I'm assuming you are comparing filters made from the exact same materials, have the exact same filtration abilities. The only difference between them is the shape. If the two filters you picked aren't the same, they aren't really comparable.

Might come down to demand. Maybe more people buy basket filters because they fit more coffee makers. Cone filters tend to brew smaller quantities of coffee than basket types. Maybe coffee machines that produce more finished coffee per cycle are simply more popular. So, basket types simply sell better/faster so the profit made from those sales is higher. Cones end up being more expensive per unit.

I don't buy coffee filters very often as I don't drink the stuff myself, but I keep some cone types around for visitors. Never have any trouble finding them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-09-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-09-2023, 07:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Cone filters are more expensive but they are made of more rigid material. I have never had problems finding them.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:31 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
try amazon

Old 10-10-2023, 03:30 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Basket filters are more flimsy because they don't have to support themselves. Cone filters use more material to manufacture, and weigh more to transport.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:25 PM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I have never had an upset stomach because of a hard to clean coffee maker. Ours comes mostly apart and goes into the dishwasher one a week.

A penny per filter is not a great expense. You can always get a permanent filter and clean it after each use.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:22 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Basket filters can be pushed into a cone and work perfectly fine. I've done it for years.

A lot of factors may go into the cost differential - there is a seam on cone filters, there may be more waste in making them, basket filters are used by many offices and restaurants, cone filters are somewhat of a specialty... and then there is Keurig, which might be happy if cone filters went away.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:25 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I used to use a coffee machine to brew coffee because it was much easier and faster. Admittedly, I'm lazy so convenience was the way to go. But the machines are harder to clean and can get disgusting overtime, and it sometimes leads me to have an upset stomach, which is bad. Using the pour over brewing method, while more tedious and time consuming, is much cleaner because the plastic cone is easy to clean. Not to mention, coffee tastes more flavorful too because the water doesn't drip as fast.

But one thing I can't get over is that these cone filters are so hard to find and they are more expensive too. Not many stores carry them. They only carry the basket filters. And what's even funnier is the fact the basket filters are sold in bigger bulks, which is usually a pack of 200 for $2. But the cone filters are like $2.39 for 100 filters.

https://www.target.com/p/melitta-nat...e-filter-100ct

Why are these cone filters more expensive and harder to find than regular basket filters?

My Walmart sells the cone filters, wish I could find a box of 500. I think the seam is part of why they cost more, I also think they're sturdier then basket type.

Part of why cone filtering tastes better is because the coffee drips out slower then it does with a basket type filter.

When we went back to a cone filter coffee maker we were using a reusable filter but the coffee did not taste like I remember having before our last cone machine died when we moved. I picked up a basket type as an emergency machine if our main went down but I was so busy I forgot to replace the machine with a cone filter machine which none of my local stores had one. They all seemed to sell basket type machines.

Walmart - Melitta #4 Natural Brown Cone Coffee Filters, 100 Ct $3.87

Amazon - Melitta #4 Cone Coffee Filters, Natural Brown, 100 Count (Pack of 6) 600 Total Filters $22.74

Old 10-11-2023, 02:36 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Try Costco Business Center - near me delivered price - https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.c....10178622.html

Connaisseur #4 Cone Coffee Filter, 400 ct
Item 9661 Model 46-408
Delivered Price $6.69
Price Per Each: $0.02

I believe they are like $4.99 if you pick them up.

Old 10-11-2023, 10:41 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,407,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My Walmart sells the cone filters, wish I could find a box of 500. I think the seam is part of why they cost more, I also think they're sturdier then basket type.

Part of why cone filtering tastes better is because the coffee drips out slower then it does with a basket type filter.

When we went back to a cone filter coffee maker we were using a reusable filter but the coffee did not taste like I remember having before our last cone machine died when we moved. I picked up a basket type as an emergency machine if our main went down but I was so busy I forgot to replace the machine with a cone filter machine which none of my local stores had one. They all seemed to sell basket type machines.

Walmart - Melitta #4 Natural Brown Cone Coffee Filters, 100 Ct $3.87

Amazon - Melitta #4 Cone Coffee Filters, Natural Brown, 100 Count (Pack of 6) 600 Total Filters $22.74
That's a lot of money. I can easily find a pack of 200 filters at Target for $2. That link is 100 filters for almost $4.... half the amount of filters for double the price.

I wish I could save money using the pour over brewing method due to the fact that I don't have to buy a coffee machine, but looks like the savings get offset by the higher price tag on the filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink