Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 05:10 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times

Advertisements

British Chef Jamie Oliver takes a lot of liberties with classic Asian dishes and Uncle Roger is a bit of a stickler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KdbASIkB8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 05:32 PM

And Gordon Ramsey also faces scrutiny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqm84IboMCU

Old 04-19-2024, 05:53 PM

Finally a chef with proper craft - Auntie Thuy, teaches Uncle Roger how to make Vietnamese Pho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8f15a5IpBk

Old 04-19-2024, 06:09 PM

Another classic by another master - Auntie Leah teaches him to make Filipino Adobo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpWGnkO3e4

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-19-2024 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2024, 07:37 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
British Chef Jamie Oliver takes a lot of liberties with classic Asian dishes and Uncle Roger is a bit of a stickler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KdbASIkB8
LOL! I normally get annoyed with "Youtubers" like this, with the excessive editing and content style, but this one made me laugh several times.

"You hear it sizzling, I hear my ancestors crying."

I have to wonder if the egg fried rice recipe video was created especially to get attention or backlash, which it definitely deserves. Saucepan, olive oil, adding green onions first, and flash frying soft tofu? Sounds like a mushy mess. I cook Asian dishes a lot and everything is wrong about this new "healthy" creation.

Thanks for posting, OP. I love cooking videos, especially bad ones!

Old 04-19-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
LOL! I normally get annoyed with "Youtubers" like this, with the excessive editing and content style, but this one made me laugh several times.

"You hear it sizzling, I hear my ancestors crying."

I have to wonder if the egg fried rice recipe video was created especially to get attention or backlash, which it definitely deserves. Saucepan, olive oil, adding green onions first, and flash frying soft tofu? Sounds like a mushy mess. I cook Asian dishes a lot and everything is wrong about this new "healthy" creation.

Thanks for posting, OP. I love cooking videos, especially bad ones!
Uncle Roger's real name is Nigel Ng and he is playing a character in these videos... he is a comedian. He certainly is Asian and was born in Malaysia, but his "Uncle Roger" character is supposed to be a stereotypical Asian Boomer. The interesting thing about him is - he may be a comedian, but he clearly really knows Asian cooking, and though his shtick is comedic roasting of professional chefs, most of his digs are on-target! His videos have actually been criticized as "racist" by some Asian-Americans, but if you watch closely, you can see that he has considerable affection for Asian food and culture, and lifts them up, even if he gently pokes fun now and then. I mean really the main targets of his jibes are famous western chefs who mangle Asian cooking and seem to have either never learned or just don't care about the proper traditional way of making these dishes. There is a reason that some recipes have survived for centuries - they're good!

He can be a little over the top at times, but he always gets me laughing :-). And though I know Indonesian food quite well, I get exposed to all kinds of other classic Asian dishes through his videos, so I like the whole experience - glad you also enjoy!

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-19-2024 at 08:13 PM..

Old 04-19-2024, 08:21 PM

^^I was referring to the original Jamie Oliver 'celebrity chef' video, totally mangling egg fried rice. Then I watched Gordon Ramsey screwing up a grilled cheese sandwich and calling it "incredible", as he took one bite and put it down. I think these celebrities make these bad recipe examples on purpose.

OP, there goes my Friday evening! I have a feeling I'm going on an Uncle Roger binge tonight.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^I was referring to the original Jamie Oliver 'celebrity chef' video, totally mangling egg fried rice. Then I watched Gordon Ramsey screwing up a grilled cheese sandwich and calling it "incredible", as he took one bite and put it down. I think these celebrities make these bad recipe examples on purpose.

OP, there goes my Friday evening! I have a feeling I'm going on an Uncle Roger binge tonight.
LOL - he is just ranting like he is upset by bad cooking, but I just can't stop laughing when I watch his videos - because what he's saying is true! And yep - that sandwich Ramsay made had all these high-end ingredients, but was burnt and absolutely swimming in oil and the cheese never melted... Sometimes I have tears coming out of my eyes from laughing so much .

Old 04-19-2024, 09:50 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
That is funny! When he picked out a PACKET of rice, and the response was akin to "he serve you prepackaged ramen noodle at restaurant?" I was hooting.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:10 PM

Here's another good one, reviewing a movie involving Cuban cooking and what looks like a father/son bonding theme.

"In Asia children make iPhone, but in America they make sandwich. Not bad, both are good!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzgewWlXjU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink