Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 09:14 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,732,808 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, A5 Japanese Wagyu is worth more than typical beef but for the price many restaurants are charging it is ridiculous. What's so special about Japanese wagyu? Well it's the amount of marbleized fat that is glued to the meat. If properly served which is usually best served rare and anything more than med-rare is a waste of money. Because when the wagyu is cooked to medium-rare the fat content is 50% cooked and becomes melted butter essentially and the meat itself is not much different when the fat is melted. So the best way to serve it is rare or slightly rare. If you like the rare bloody beef natural flavor then wagyu itself is like chewing very buttery, tender, and soft meat. It is so tender that you barely have to chew. It isn't like a medium rare ribeye that you still need to chew to break down the meat flavor.

Why is it overated? Because of the prices restaurants are charging and improperly cooking it. So many places offer a thick wagyu that after it's cooked, it loses a lot of it's fat content and taste no better than a good quality prime steak. Instead of paying $300+ for a 10oz Wagyu, I rather pay $120 for a 14 oz dry age sirloin or ribeye. Since most wagyu aren't dry aged, the flavor isn't locked into the meat and you're getting the flavor from the fat. A dry age wagyu would be the solution but that combo can set you for $500+ for a 12oz dry age ribeye wagyu. And guess what? It doesn't taste much better than a normal prime grade dry age sirloin for only $120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 09:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,510,683 times
We buy the $5.99/lb ground American Wagyu from Costco and it makes fantastic burgers at a reasonable price. We'll buy steaks only when on sale at our local upscale market. No steak is worth $100 to me, Wagyu or otherwise, $50-60 is about my limit for a restaurant steak.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We buy the $5.99/lb ground American Wagyu from Costco and it makes fantastic burgers at a reasonable price. We'll buy steaks only when on sale at our local upscale market. No steak is worth $100 to me, Wagyu or otherwise, $50-60 is about my limit for a restaurant steak.
American wagyu means that they are cross bred between the American angus and the Japanese wagyu ox to create a hybrid. But it is not the same because Wagyu is raised eating Japanese diet not American cattle diet so the texture of the meat is gonna differ.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:15 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
I’ll take prime grade. Any day…. In fact I’ll buy choice grade
When on sale
Steak is one of my fav foods…. But I won’t
Pay those prices for wagyu

Old 05-07-2024, 10:32 AM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
The Wagyu I've had was quite nice. However, "wagyu" is not the same as "kobi beef", which is wagyu raised is a very specific and expensive way.

The wagyu raised in America is tender and has good marbling and a nice, but mild flavor. It's just a nice grade of ordinary beef. I've paid a slight premium to buy it, but not horrendous. Kobi beef, on the other hand is way beyond the limits of my budget, so I am very unlikely to ever try it.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:37 AM

Because wagyu is simply Japanese ox breed. And Kobi Wagyu is the Kobi raised Japanese breed. Of course it's not just the breed but how it is raised. Most Americans ranchers feed their ox grain diet so it gets fat from a grain heavy diet unless it's grass raised which has more gamey flavor. Kobi Wagyu is raised on beer, grains, and grass. Good combo and the ox are pampered with massages to ensure the marbling is even out throughout the body. You're paying for the labor and the special diet.

So it's stupid to tell me that American wagyu is the same as Kobi wagyu.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 637,982 times
Let's be honest, most high end restaurants that serve steak of any kind "way" overcharges for what they serve.

At a very popular steakhouse here, a filet mignon is $100.

Cooking steak properly isn't really that difficult... a bbq, an oven... heck even stove top and do a reverse sear.

A foody friend of mine sometimes has Kobi parties where he buys obscenely priced beef and brings home to cook and invites ppl over who pay $60 each to try stupidly good beef.

I've never went, but heard it is Heavenly.

It's one of those "you have to try it at least once" in your life if you are a beef lover.

Personally it's not really on the top of my bucket list because it's basically eating raw really really fatty beef.

I like my steak done medium to medium rare. Pink in the middle.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:08 AM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
I have never had it, but I do not like steaks that fatty. That's a big reason that I'm not a huge fan of ribeye. I'll take a fairly lean, tender filet over a ribeye anytime.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,730,923 times
I've had Wagyu #7 NY Strips that were the best steaks I've ever tasted, and some Wagyu that was very good. It's not all created equal.

This butcher shop has the best meat I've ever had, I used to live nearby. https://jimmypssteaks.com/

Old 05-07-2024, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 2,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Don't get me wrong, A5 Japanese Wagyu is worth more than typical beef but for the price many restaurants are charging it is ridiculous. What's so special about Japanese wagyu? Well it's the amount of marbleized fat that is glued to the meat. If properly served which is usually best served rare and anything more than med-rare is a waste of money. Because when the wagyu is cooked to medium-rare the fat content is 50% cooked and becomes melted butter essentially and the meat itself is not much different when the fat is melted. So the best way to serve it is rare or slightly rare. If you like the rare bloody beef natural flavor then wagyu itself is like chewing very buttery, tender, and soft meat. It is so tender that you barely have to chew. It isn't like a medium rare ribeye that you still need to chew to break down the meat flavor.

Why is it overated? Because of the prices restaurants are charging and improperly cooking it. So many places offer a thick wagyu that after it's cooked, it loses a lot of it's fat content and taste no better than a good quality prime steak. Instead of paying $300+ for a 10oz Wagyu, I rather pay $120 for a 14 oz dry age sirloin or ribeye. Since most wagyu aren't dry aged, the flavor isn't locked into the meat and you're getting the flavor from the fat. A dry age wagyu would be the solution but that combo can set you for $500+ for a 12oz dry age ribeye wagyu. And guess what? It doesn't taste much better than a normal prime grade dry age sirloin for only $120.
There is no real Wagyu in US.
It is even much harder to get a proper Wagyu in Japan now due to changes in pastures quality there and the changes in breeding - so the particular breed of cattle is getting fattier than it should be..
It isn’t even about money anymore: due to the changes in environment the quality is changing

In US is just a marketing gimmick to charge more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink