Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

The New York Times Cookbook was our favorite cookbook when I was a child. Of course, Julia Child's The French Chef, The James Beard Cookbook and The Joy of Cooking was on our bookshelves also. We also loved watching Julia Child cook on PBS.

Right now, I love Kylie Kwong's cooking show and also Dinner: Impossible with Robert Irvine on tv. Also Mark Bittman's World's Best Recipes show. I don't read cookbooks much anymore. I sort of go to the grocery store, get inspired by some ingredients and just throw something impromptu together. With good ingredients, you just can't go wrong. My mom is like that too, she had a Chinese word for her style of cooking which basically meant "thrown together in a crazy haphazard fashion".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I love to browse the photo section of the book. There are step-by-step photo instructions for all sorts of food prep, from baking bread to preparing a roast to canning fruit, and the woman modeling the steps is dressed in a starched apron and a long-sleeved dress with perfect little cuffs and buttons. Then there are the photos of how to set a table for breakfast, for a bridge luncheon, for afternoon tea and for a formal dinner... Oh, my. I can't imagine what the authors would have thought to see our usual table setting!
My Better Homes & Garden cookbook (1973) has those types of pictures as well. I remembering learning about types of place settings in home ec. thinking do "real people" do this daily? I have section on how to fold cloth napkins into shapes too. I am thrilled if my kids even use paper napkins around here!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book 1973 I have to share this.

In the section called "Special Helps" they have a subsection called "food frills". I'll share the first food frill with you all. Ready?

"Brush clusters of grapes with slightly beaten egg whites. Dip in granulated sugar, turning to coat all sides. Dry on cake rack."

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of eating fresh fruit loading it down with sugar to look pretty?

Thanks everybody for sharing this is fun reading this thread!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
and do you still have it or use it?

Found mine today while purging through some cookbooks. I bought it in grade school from those Scholastic book fairs. It was .50!

Arrow Book of Easy Cooking (Let's Cook Without Cooking) by Esther Rudomin.

Once in high school our freshman year we had to buy Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. The one with the red and white squares trimmed in navy blue.

I don't use the Easy Cooking one but I do still use the Better Homes & Gardens on occassion.
I have the same Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book with the red and white squares trimmed in navy blue. It's so old the pages are falling apart but I still refer to it from time to time!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
My wondrous, magical grandmother gave me her 1905 copy of The Settlement Cookbook -- The Way To A Man's Heart by Mrs. Simon Kander. My grandmother was Irish, yet!

This book taught the old-fashioned ways to make soups, biscuits, stews, baked goods and recipes for the sick from scratch, dress and butcher venison, and drain the blood from the bodies of chickens newly dispatched to Chicken Heaven, lots of European cooking and lots of Jewish cooking.

An amazing read for the sensitive teenage girl I was

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
I think my very first was "Cookbook for One" by Pegeen and Sean O'Neil. I still have it. Shortly afterwards I acquired the 70's edition of "The Joy of Cooking" for use; mama has one dating from shortly after World War II which I get stuff from. She also has one from the 30's or 40's, something like the American Homemaker's Cookbook. Other early acquisitions that were favorites were "The New York Times Cookbook" by Craig Claiborne, "White Trash Cooking" Ernest Matthew Mickler, "Square Meals" by Jand and Michael Stern, "Beard on Bread" and "Beard on Pasta" by James Beard, several of the Silver Palate series of books, and a whole slew of books published by junior leagues, churchs, and community groups.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Fannie Farmer, ca. 1965. It is a thick paperback cookbook that has the most basic recipes. It was perfect for the new cook. I still use it for the basic apple pie, or basic timing for a roast, etc.
Even though I replaced it once, this one is held together with tape.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM

55 posts, read 279,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
and a whole slew of books published by junior leagues, churchs, and community groups.
I love those the most because those books have all the potluck recipes that everyone loves so much.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead
and a whole slew of books published by junior leagues, churchs, and community groups.

I love those the most because those books have all the potluck recipes that everyone loves so much.

Me too plus my Amish cookbooks are used mainly in my house. All those cookbooks with their fru-fru foods & ingredients won't get my dollars. I don't need to be a galloping gourmet I just need to get semi-healthy, filling grub on my table. Getting into routines of always cooking the same meals leads me to those treasures buried inside them.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
"Brush clusters of grapes with slightly beaten egg whites. Dip in granulated sugar, turning to coat all sides. Dry on cake rack."
They aren't to be eaten, necessarily. It is the same as sugaring fresh, organically grown (pesticide-free) violets and pansies. They are used as a garnish, usually on elaborate cakes. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink