Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 AM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else turned off by the use of these (and other leading brands of "seasoning?"
Seems to me that they're essentially 10 different types of salt mixed with anti-caking agents and a few spices. Everywhere I go I see people using these things like it's a Godsend. Then, when we have guests over and they see my spice cabinet, they're in shock by the fact that I cook a lot, yet it's devoid of any such products. I try to explain to them that I have all of the ingredients to make my own blends, all without having to use all of that other junk that's in there, and they look at me like they saw a ghost. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-24-2016 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I don't use many of those blends either. However the Goya ones really are bad. The Penzey's adobo is wonderful. That and their English Prime Rib rub are the ONLY things I continue to buy from Penzey's.

I object to them hate the political crap sending political crap to my email, and I try not to patronize companies that do stuff like that. But those two products are (unfortunately ) irreplaceable in my pantry.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Is anyone else turned off by the use of these (and other leading brands of "seasoning?"
Seems to me that they're essentially 10 different types of salt mixed with anti-caking agents and a few spices. Everywhere I go I see people using these things like it's a Godsend. Then, when we have guests over and they see my spice cabinet, they're in shock by the fact that I cook a lot, yet it's devoid of any such products. I try to explain to them that I have all of the ingredients to make my own blends, all without having to use all of that other junk that's in there, and they look at me like they saw a ghost. Anyone else have similar experiences?
I tossed my Sazon recently when I realized most of it was MSG.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:08 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't use many of those blends either. However the Goya ones really are bad. The Penzey's adobo is wonderful. That and their English Prime Rib rub are the ONLY things I continue to buy from Penzey's.

I object to them hate the political crap sending political crap to my email, and I try not to patronize companies that do stuff like that. But those two products are (unfortunately ) irreplaceable in my pantry.
Wow, I didn't know that about Penzey's, that they send political crap. I guess I'm not on the mailing list. I have some herbs and whatnot from their store in another state where a friend lives. I don't think they exist by me.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, I didn't know that about Penzey's, that they send political crap. I guess I'm not on the mailing list. I have some herbs and whatnot from their store in another state where a friend lives. I don't think they exist by me.
In fairness to the political views being espoused, I have not read ANY of these articles. Some may be commending Bill Penzey for his methods. These were just the first links to articles/blogs that came up on google.

All I know is I didn't sign up for political opinions. I just wanted and enjoyed his spices. Now, I limit my purchases to the two aforementioned blends that I can't replace.

FREEDOM EDEN: Penzeys Spices - Boycott

Bill Penzey Knows Spices, Not Facts | Common Sense Central | News/Talk 1130 WISN

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...y-bill-penzey/

Even his employees complain about it: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Pe...ws-E374624.htm

Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I am not a fan of Goya preferring the use of Badia complete seasoning when I cook Cuban. However I am really surprised that it's that popular that people put you down for not having it, are you in a Latin area of America? Plus why are they looking in your spice cabinet? lol

Up here in the Carolinas I have to go to a specialty store to buy it.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 PM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am not a fan of Goya preferring the use of Badia complete seasoning when I cook Cuban. However I am really surprised that it's that popular that people put you down for not having it, are you in a Latin area of America? Plus why are they looking in your spice cabinet? lol

Up here in the Carolinas I have to go to a specialty store to buy it.
I'm in FL, so lots of Latin and Caribbean influence. Also, both my wife and I are of Caribbean descent, and it seems to be extremely popular among them.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,251,947 times
I like the one with the green lid; with cumin, and the ingredient list doesn't say it has msg in it. It's good on everything.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
We have A LOT of spices (and herbs, and seasoning blends). We've actually had to put a moratorium on getting more until we work through our supply. I am not averse to seasoning blends, myself, dependent upon quality.

Given the slant of the customers he profiles in his catalog/magazine, I'm assuming that my politics are not unlike that of Bill Penzey's, so I can't say that aspect really bothers me at all. But I do tend to order from Milwaukee's Spice House over Penzeys (it's the Penzey parents' original business, and is owned and run by Bill's sister, Patty Penzey Erd, and her husband. Evidently, there was a family schism, with Patty taking over the family business and Bill running a competing (and originally, mail-order only) company. I tend to like Spice House's selection better, and their stores, though only in Milwaukee and Chicago, are far more charming. Now that I don't live in that area, but do live near a Penzeys store, I'll run in to Penzeys in a pinch versus order from Spice House.

I don't really care for adobo seasoning, from any brand (even Penzeys). My husband loves it, and uses it a lot, but it's not my pick.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:38 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Goya Adobo and Sazon is not really a seasoning, they are glutamate enhancers.. basically, a tasty MSG mix.

i use them in certain preparations, especially on meats alongside my other seasonings and no I"m not afraid of MSG. There is Ajinimoto in Japan that many of their populace use, and people all over the world use glutamates of all kinds to enhance their food. Parmigiano Reggiano and hard cheese are sodium glutamates.. Just don't use too much. The outcry about MSG is an American myth born out of someone who disliked Chinese food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink