Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,685 times

Advertisements

So I've been on a brownie kick lately, and the other day made a blondie with brandy, cherries, and white chocolate chunks. It turned out quite fabulous-- decadent but "adult" at the same time with the subtle brandy (I didn't have bourbon on hand) nicely offsetting the sweetness (I love adding liquor to my cooking ). Today I'll be attempting a raspberry cream cheese swirl brownie using a dark chocolate base.

Anyone have a tried-and-true brownie recipe that they're proud of and would like to share?? I'd be aprticularly interested in ones with exotic ingredients or a unique combination of ingredients? Or anything that has a spike of liquor haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Adding a nut butter thinnly on top of coco only ones = death by heaven

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM

230 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Today I'll be attempting a raspberry cream cheese swirl brownie using a dark chocolate base.
I volunteer to be your official taste-tester!!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Adding a nut butter thinnly on top of coco only ones = death by heaven
How do you make a nut butter? And what exactly is it (peanut butter? are there other kinds?)? Is it like peanut butter just spread on top of a brownie, or is it baked in? It sounds delicious, as I love chocolate & nut combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
I volunteer to be your official taste-tester!!
You are very welcome to. I usually end up eating one or two squares and then taking the rest in to work. I spoil my coworkers

I just had an idea. Some sort of dark chocolate & lemon combination, using lemon curd & zest maybe? Hmmm... time to get creative...

Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Thumbs up Yea for chocolate..

Being I am an unashamedly chocolate addict I'm just going along for the ride on this thread. Chocolate is a passion in my house. There is no such thing as having to much culture when it comes to finding ways to reinvent chocolate.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Being as nobody is offering up any recipes, I'll post the first. They're for blondies, though.

Bourbon/Cherry/White Chocolate Blondies
8 Tbs butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (with the bourbon though, i think this can be omitted)
pinch salt
1 cup + 1 Tbs flour
1/2-1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks
1/4 cup bourbon (or brandy, whiskey, scotch, etc)
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup Almond slices (optional)

Soak dried cherries in the liquor (you might also zap them in the microwave 15-30 seconds to soften them up a bit, but they soften up just fine during baking). Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8x8 pan. Melt butter in saucepan. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add salt, and stir in flour (not all at once but a bit at a time) while continuing to beat batter. Add the cherries, liquor, and white chocolate chunks and fold into the batter. Pour into pan. Sprinkle almond slices on top. Bake 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. The edges will start to golden. Let cool before cutting into squares. They're pretty decadent (and not the healthiest treats), so I recommend cutting them in small squares (2x2, or even bit size).

Old 08-03-2008, 02:06 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Baker's chocolate browniesBAKER'S CHOCOLATE BROWNIES

4 sq. Bakers unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 stick butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. chopped nuts

Melt chocolate and butter stir until is completely melted. Stir sugar into the melted chocolate until well blended. Stir eggs and vanilla until completely mixed. Mix in flour until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean (Do not overbake). Cool in pan; cut into squares. Makes 24 squares

Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM

230 posts, read 875,568 times
I saw a great recipe on Tasha Tudor's website for chocolate brownies topped with a layer of fudge. I have never tried them, but they definitely sound like something for the hard-core chocolate addict!! If you click on this link, scroll down to the "Receipt Archive" at the bottom of the page and click on "Daddy's Brownies."
Receipts - Tasha Tudor and Family

Old 08-03-2008, 04:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
I saw a great recipe on Tasha Tudor's website for chocolate brownies topped with a layer of fudge. I have never tried them, but they definitely sound like something for the hard-core chocolate addict!! If you click on this link, scroll down to the "Receipt Archive" at the bottom of the page and click on "Daddy's Brownies."
Receipts - Tasha Tudor and Family
I just saved a copy of this. I'm seeing into the future a gallon of French vanilla ice cream here. Thanks for sharing this great link.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Great way to spruce up a basic batch of brownies with only a can of ready made vanilla frosting, peppermint extract, 12oz bag choco ship and a stick of butter...

Mix the can of frosting with peppermint extract... to your taste - I like it strong
Pour/Spread over cooled brownies
Melt the butter and choco chips... double boiler works great... pour over the frosted brownies... Let chocolate cool

YUM-O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink