Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,691,617 times

Advertisements

You should be able to find blackeye or field peas in the frozen food section. We can usually find "Field Peas with Snaps". Just be sure to season with some kind of bacon or ham and cooked real slow until done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM

726 posts, read 2,270,522 times
Chicken fried Steak is great !! I think its easy to make !!

• 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 2 pounds top round steak, about 1/2" thick, tenderized
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons cream
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups saltine cracker crumbs, finely crushed
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
  • a few dashes Worcestershire sauce, optional
  • a dash or a few hot sauce, optional
Preparation:

Mix 1/2 cup of flour with the salt and pepper. Pound the mixture into both sides of the meat with the edge of a heavy plate or mallet. Cut the meat into serving-size pieces. Beat the eggs together with the cream. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.

Reserve 3 tablespoons of the flour. Dredge the steaks in the remaining flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then into the cracker crumbs. Add to the hot oil. Brown the steaks well, turning to brown both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover the skillet, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the steaks are cooked through and tender. the chicken-fried steak or country fried steaks should be well done, but not dry.

Remove the steaks from the pan, and drain on paper towels or brown paper. Keep warm. Add the onion slices to the pan and sauté until tender. Remove onions and keep warm with steaks. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet; stir in 3 tablespoons of the flour. Stir well and scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in the cream, then the chicken broth. Season with Worcestershire and hot sauce. Top the meat with the gravy.

Serve with mashed potatoes, greens, and biscuits.
4 to 6 Servings

Old 10-12-2008, 04:19 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,303,605 times
Cornbread!!!!

My husband loves my cornbread and says it is just like his grandmothers was! (I think that's why he married me! )

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,771,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Cornbread!!!!

My husband loves my cornbread and says it is just like his grandmothers was! (I think that's why he married me! )
I bought some cornbread mix the other day.
Some of my family puts cornbread in milk with little sugar,Thats good!
Im going to make deviled eggs too,thats southern but common all over..
The US i believe.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,303,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I bought some cornbread mix the other day.
Some of my family puts cornbread in milk with little sugar,Thats good!
Im going to make deviled eggs too,thats southern but common all over..
The US i believe.
Did you say a cornbread mix??? Oh my, I am havin palpitations here !!!

This is what ya do!

Take a small iron skillet (what, about 8 or 9" in diameter?) Anyhow, throw a big ole glob of shortening in there - I use Crisco. Place into your oven and turn on about 500 degrees. Meanwhile, take and egg and break it into a med size glass bowl - no plastic! Beat egg well with fork. Add 1 cup MARTHA WHITE BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD MIX. Must be this kind only! Add a pinch of salt. Add 1 and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Yes, it is a lot of buttermilk. Mix this well. When shortening is HOT HOT HOT, take out of oven carefully and pour into mixture. Mix well and pour back into skillet. Place back into oven and bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Voila! If you want to, you can even cut up some vidalias and throw in the batter before baking.

My husband loves this dearly! I myself am partial to mexican type cornbread!

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 10-13-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Forgot the salt! Can't spell either!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,771,494 times
Thanks Katsmeeyow for those instructions...
Maybe after i have got back into cooking i ll start making more stuff from scratch..
I would give you rep but i need to give more

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,163,679 times
I absolutely LOVE southern food. I live in the northeast. If I were to live down south, i'd be morbidly obese!

I went to a funeral for my ex's aunt a few years ago in Alabama and I couldn't get enough of the food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink