Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times

Advertisements

Now last year was my first Thanksgiving dinner cooked almost solo.

I was really paranoid about how it would all turn out, so I ended up doing a lot of research.

A couple things I did really saved time and sanity.

I got to thinking that if we all share our little tips and tricks we could really make the day a little easier for our fellow turkey trussers.

Anyhow, last year I:

****Made the mashed potatoes in the morning and kept warm in the crock pot. Everyone thought they were awesome mashed potatoes, and I didn't have to mash them right before dinner like Mom always did.

****I also heated up the frozen corn, (shucked fresh in the summer and frozen for the day) in the morning, and kept that warm in another crock pot.

****I cooked one of those freebie turkeys the day before, and sliced up the breast meat in case I needed extra for dinner (didn't know how much turkey I would need and wanted to be covered just in case--plus I got a practice turkey in before the day)

****With that freebie turkey, I made the gravy, so I was able to just reheat that on the day as well so no need to mess with that either.

I used one of those three tiered racks to put all the casserole dishes that needed reheating on until it was time for them to go in the oven.

****I also cooked with my cousin a couple days before. It was 1st Thanksgiving for both of us. While this is neither tip nor trick, we did have a lovely time and will continue this tradition this year.

So, what Tips and Tricks do all you Thanksgiving experts have? I figure though my 1st went well there is always room for improvement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
For roast veggies, I par-boil potatoes and parsnips, drain, add some butter and seasoned flour to coat and then put in ziplock bags in the fridge. They'll keep like that for 3-4 days, then just need 30 mins roasting.

Lots of other veg can be trimmed, washed, blanched etc and zip-locked in advance.

I often cook with my sister - we have great time!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
I make a couple of lists.

One is for everything I'm serving, checking off each item as it's prepared, double checking as it's cooked.

One is for everything I'll need to serve the food in - platter for the turkey, bowl for potatoes, etc. Check when it is out of the cupboard.

I'm sure there's another list, but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,985 times
I also do a lot the day before...dice onions and celery, have it all in a fry apn with the butter, readt to saute in the morning for the stuffing...
I make a broth with the turkey neck, wing tips and celery, onion and fresh parsley...all in the crock pot overnight and add this to the roasting pan to make my gravy.....YUM! The best gravy ever.
I cut all vegetables the day before and have them in their pots ready to cook.
We make stuffing muffins...a big hit since everyone seams to like the crunchy part!

I wish I had a sister to cook with! I'm jealous!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Lists help, also little post its on outside of serving dishes. Chop everything the day before. Pies made day before.

Shopping lists-"what I have" What I need".

For years it was 25 or more-much easier now that we are 2.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
Check holiday table linens about 2 weeks before big day to make sure they are presentable. Also wash all utensils and holiday dishes which haven't been used in a while and may be dusty.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,983 times
I love to cook and cook a lot. I be sure to put on some good music, ask for dh's help when I need it and fit in a 30 minute nap somewhere and all of this keeps the stress down. I remember when I was little my mother would get so overwhelmed with holiday dinners and get so cranky to the point it kind of ruined things. I made a promise to myself I wouldn't do that to my kids and family. I make most of the food now. She just has to do stuffing and the turkey. I do a ton of other sides and the desserts.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
****With that freebie turkey, I made the gravy, so I was able to just reheat that on the day as well so no need to mess with that either.
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that one. Anything that can be done ahead helps reduce the stress and mess on the big day. Thanks.

I set the table a couple of days ahead, complete with all the serving dishes that I'm going to use.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:32 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,037 times
Lists, lists & lists, hanging on the fridge right now.
This week I will make the mannicotti shells and freeze them between plastic wrap and put in zip lock freezer bags to be stuffed with the Ricotta the day before. The spaghetti sauce & meatballs were made this past weekend and is in the freezer.
Weekend before, dice carrots, celery, onions & garlic and put in food saver bags.
Wash & iron table linens.
Beginning of the week, pick up fresh vegetables, clean and prep them, dry & put in green bags in crisper.
Day before, wash china & set table, (covering the dishes with another table cloth). Pick up the Italian bread & natural turkey. Make the brine, clean turkey & put in the brine covered in fridge for 12 hrs. Make homemade cranberry sauce. Take shells off the shrimp (shrimp cocktail) & make cocktail sauce. Stuff the mannicotti and start the prep for the antipasto. Thanksgiving day h helps me by riceing the potatoes while I make the tortelli soup in a crockpot.
Everything goes smoothly because of the preparation.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Before we got our turkey fryer we cooked our turkey in those turkey bags. Wonderful things those turkey bags. Never had a ruined turkey.

I make all my breads and pies the day before. Never thought to keep the potatos in the crock pot. What a wonderful suggestion thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink