Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Advertisements

Maybe we could say what we are thankful for!!

I am thankful for (not necessarily in order)

Food
Living in the good old USA
my family
my pets, past and future, don't have any right now
my education, they can't take that away
being generally healthy, though I could lose a few pounds
having a vehicle that runs well
living in a comfy place
the beauty of the city I live in
the relatively mild winter coming up
the gorgeous autumn leaves that I've enjoyed so much these last few weeks
so much more

What are some of yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I'm grateful that my son, in Iraq, is well today. I live my life in thankfulness. My home, my bed, my healthy children and grandchildren, my husband. Today, all is well. If all is well tomorrow, I will be thankful for that, too.
Does this thankfulness make the slightest difference to God, or the cosmos? I don't know, but I hope so.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
My Dog who had cancer is still with us and healthy and happy.
And Kitty is 16 years and strong as she was when she was 2.

And I have a very understanding loving Husband.
Life is good.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
i am grateful for my health and the health of my family.

that is first and foremost the most important thing to be thankful for.

spend Christmas in the pediatrics ward and this will be the first thing you are thankful for for the rest of your life.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
I'm grateful for a pair of strong, healthy, intelligent, funny (if occasionally infuriating) offspring.
I'm grateful for a healthy, funny, loving spouse who loves to cook as much as I love to eat.
I'm grateful to be healthy; the various lumps and bumps and cysts and so on that the medical tribe has found in me thus far have all been benign, and I'm still hale and hearty and feisty as ever.
I'm grateful to have a challenging, rewarding job in the profession I love, and to be working for an employer that still cares about employee well-being and morale.
I'm grateful to have a home to come back to every evening, to have lights to turn on, heat to bask in, potable water to drink, and a comfortable bed to sleep in.
I'm grateful to have reliable transportation to take me wherever I need to go.
I'm grateful to have been able to exercise my franchise on November 4, and grateful that that franchise has been granted to as many people as it is in this country.
I'm grateful to the servicemen and women who have given time, expertise, effort, ingenuity, health and life in defense of this country.
And I'm grateful for every opportunity I am given to share the bounty that I've been fortunate enough to receive over the years.

Pay it forward, friends; we can never repay all those who have helped us out over our lifetimes, so the best way we can honor what they've done and express our gratitude for our blessings is to pay it forward to those who need help now.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,290 times
Gentlearts, I am sure that it makes a difference to God to know that we are thankful for things both great and small. I know that I feel wonderful if one of my children notice some nice little thing that I have done for him and thanks me.

There are so many things that I am thankful for that it is hard to pick just one or two of them.

Like many of us, I am grateful that I have a loving husband, 4 terrific kids and d-i-l's and all the grandkiddies.

I am thankful for the upbringing and sacrifices that my parents provided for me. I wish I could hug them now and tell them how much they are adored and missed.

I am thankful that I do not have to go hungry a single day like 20% of the world's population, and I long for the day that NO ONE will have to watch their loved one want for food or water.

I am thankful for my Creator and the hope that He has given me and so many others.

I am thankful to be able to live in a country where we can talk about what we are grateful for, criticize the things we believe are unjust, and be free to aid those who do not have these privileges.

I am thankful for friends who laugh with me, weep with me, share a good meal with me, want to be a confidante and never criticize feelings.

Thank you, bjh, for starting a thread that will give us all pause and think how many wonderful things bless our lives everyday that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,321 times
This has been a difficult year since my DH lost his job months ago and I went back to work, then a week later I got laid off too. Despite that there we are so grateful that our family has grown closer to each other and so much closer to God through our difficulties. We are grateful for our health, our freedom, our friends and family,men and women who sacrifice themselves and fight for our country, still having roof over our heads and foods on our table. Above all I am grateful for our Lord and savior for providing us what we need each day and for His promise to never leave or forsake us and for making the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf so that we may live forever in His glory.

And of course of you guys. Nicest bunch of people.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
i am grateful for my health and the health of my family.

that is first and foremost the most important thing to be thankful for.

spend Christmas in the pediatrics ward and this will be the first thing you are thankful for for the rest of your life.
I should mention that my child wasn't critically ill. He was two and was having a asthma like situation so he stayed in the hospital for 2 days.

But, the point is, there were many other kids who were critically ill, even dying, and it was heartbreaking. Plus my DH is in the medical field taking care of patients, some of whom are terminally ill, so it is always on our minds.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
A warm house stocked with food. A wife who has a recession proof job. Lots more but when you have food, shelter, and decent clothing you have no real gripes. At least you shouldn't.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
So very much to be thankful for.

Our 2 wonderful children. Our beautiful grands. Our health, the roof over our heads, food in the larders, the blessing God has bestowed on us. Wonderful friends-and I count you all in, living in the best country on earth.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink