Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:50 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I bought one of those turkey roasters that sits up on the kitchen counter. Mostly to make dog food so I can just scoop it out without having to move a big heavy pan out of the oven.

I'd be unhappy if I used it to roast a turkey for a party because it doesn't brown well, but the dogs don't care. It cooked the turkey and relatively fast.

This is the problem. It does not have a removable liner and the base can't be submersed. Directions say to wipe it out with a wet cloth. Seriously? I just roasted a greasy turkey in it and I'm supposed to clean it by wiping it out with a wet cloth?

Does anyone know of one of these turkey roasters with a removable liner that can go into soapy dish water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 03:43 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Wow! Your dogs eat very well. How many do you have? Making your own food for the dogs is probably better than the stuff you buy in the store anyway.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I've never heard of a countertop "turkey roaster"....sounds more like a casserole crock pot! But...with non-submersible appliances, you can wash the INSIDE of the pot...just don't get the electrical connections wet. Yes...it's messy.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I have a roaster oven with a removable liner. It didn't cost any more than they usually do, I think it was $22 or $25 when I bought it in 2012. I wouldn't have bought it without the removable liner.

The way to brown the turkey in it is to turn the roaster oven as hot as it will go and let it preheat while you prep the turkey. Rub the outside of the turkey with melted butter or oil. Put the turkey in the preheated roaster and roast for 30 min, then turn the roaster down to 325° and cook the turkey the rest of the time. A smaller turkey will brown better on top in the roaster.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I have one. It definitely comes apart. It came from a hardware store.. They cost maybe $40. I've never cooked a turkey in one. I use it for things like pulled pork, sloppy joes, baked beans....and when I'm feeding a crowd at branding or shearing.

But I do use it when I roast a turkey in the oven (convection roast is my favorite oven feature). I make the oyster stuffing in the electric roaster. & once the mashed potatoes are ready I shove over the stuffing and put them on one side with a few pats of butter. It is so handy to make the potatoes a couple hours before meal time & keep warm in the roaster.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Or you could use a xlarge Reynolds oven-roasting bag and eliminate the clean-up altogether.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:31 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Wow! Your dogs eat very well. How many do you have? Making your own food for the dogs is probably better than the stuff you buy in the store anyway.
Yes, the dogs eat well. I lost a dog in the melamine poisoned dog food recall and I refuse to go through that again. My dogs (and human family ) do not eat any food from China. The only way I can be sure of that is to make my own dog food where I know the source of everything that goes into it.

The roasting bag sounds like a good idea. I'll take a look at those. Cost is a consideration

The roaster I bought is a real cheapie. It cost $19. There was one Oster brand but the box was all beat up and re-taped. I try not to buy anything that looks like a return because of the dishonesty of a small percentage of the consuming public.

The roaster works great. I can set it on the counter, add ingredients then everything can be scooped into storage containers without me ever having to lift the total combined weight, which is about 30 pounds. I'm willing to buy a better roaster if I can find one with a removable liner that is easier to wash.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:33 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Check out Nesco roasters. Mine has a stainless steel liner pan that lifts out for washing,

Old 12-21-2017, 09:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Mine has the liner in it as well. It is a Hamilton Beach 18qt roaster oven and it was only about $25 at the supermarket. It also came with the buffet trays for keeping food warm.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting it wet. Just wet the inside, scrub with soapy water and rinse. The inside of it should remain dry. No need to submerse. It is sealed around the sides right?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I’ve actually roasted turkeys for the family in my roaster after discovering them. Living in a cabin with very limited space for cooking made it attractive for holiday dinners. I roasted the turkey on the washer in the laundry room and had the small kitchen clear to make everything else.
The big drawback is not having crispy skin but I used (as Nesco suggests) melted buttered mixed with Kitchen Bouquet and it adds color and it browns a bit. The turkey meat itself is quite good, nice and moist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink