Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times

Advertisements

I have a brother-in-law who is a roastmaster at a fairly small local coffee company.

Great coffee comes down to several things.

1. You CANNOT replace the effect of FRESH coffee. Freshly roasted and freshly ground. Virtually all the coffee I drink was roasted with the past couple days, and ground immediately before I brew it.

2. The coffee maker. There's no one best, perfect, coffee maker. We have a Hamilton Beach Brew Station. For whatever reason, the rate of flow and the temperature combine to be absolutely fantastic.

3. The way you grind the beans, and the amount of grounds used. My brother-in-law COMPLETELY fills the filter in the basket with grounds. That's a little stronger than I like, but it's also incredibly smooth.

Enjoy your coffee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 213,042 times
I don't know about all of the fancy coffee that is out there, but I find that if you sprinkle a little salt onto the coffee grounds it takes out a bunch of the bitterness.

Last edited by ymmud123; 01-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Left out a word

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmud123 View Post
I don't know about all of the fancy coffee that is out there, but I find that if you sprinkle a little salt onto the coffee grounds it takes out a bunch of the bitterness.
Cool.

Of course, if you have good coffee to start with, it won't be bitter anyway.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
I did not read the entire thread... so these tips may have been mentioned already....

I grind beans for every use
Cold Distilled water
Clean coffee pot [pot and decanter]

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
My Perfect Cup or Coffee in the morning
1) Store whole Dunkin Donut (Original) beans in an air tight container.
2) 4 scoops of whole beans into Krups Fast Touch Coffee Grinder
3) Grind 10 seconds
4) Fill Cuisinart Grind and Brew with mug of cold filtered Brita water and ground beans (Yes, this has a built in grinder, but i dont like it)
5) Brew
6) Store coffee in Nissan 16 oz stainless steel backpack bottle, the greatest thermos ever invented!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas guys! Keep 'em coming!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Tons of cream and sugar, LOL!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Try Cafe Bustello. It's very inexpensive, comes in a yellow can - ground - and is acknowledged by many foodies to be the best packaged ground coffee available in America. Most supermarkets don't carry it, but some do...and it'll prove well worth looking for.
We also like Cafe Bustello. It's an espresso blend, but we use it to make regular coffee. We've tried all the Hispanic (?) espresso cans and our favorites are Cafe Bustello, La Llave, and El Pico. We use three level tablespoons of the coffee espresso for 4 cups of water in our coffee pot. (I think that a cup in your pot is not the same as a cup measurement.)

One of the best things about these brands is they are not expensive!

We tried grinding coffee beans--got a coffee grinder for our wedding--but we found that it didn't grind fine enough for us, and we had to put in a lot of extra coffee to get it strong enough. Plus the labor involved...we found that the brands mentioned above made better coffee than our home-ground coffee and were often much better than more expensive coffees.

By the way, my husband has been trying to get me to get rid of the coffee grinder, but I have found that it's good for grinding other things, such as nuts when you need to grind them extra fine.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
Glad you too like Cafe Bustello.

Water to coffee proportions being crucial, would you clarify the proportions you favor?

btw - I believe you're right: a "cup" specified when describing the capacity of a coffee maker is typically 6 oz, which is not a cup per measuring cup, methinks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
We also like Cafe Bustello. It's an espresso blend, but we use it to make regular coffee. We've tried all the Hispanic (?) espresso cans and our favorites are Cafe Bustello, La Llave, and El Pico. We use three level tablespoons of the coffee espresso for 4 cups of water in our coffee pot. (I think that a cup in your pot is not the same as a cup measurement.)

One of the best things about these brands is they are not expensive!

We tried grinding coffee beans--got a coffee grinder for our wedding--but we found that it didn't grind fine enough for us, and we had to put in a lot of extra coffee to get it strong enough. Plus the labor involved...we found that the brands mentioned above made better coffee than our home-ground coffee and were often much better than more expensive coffees.

By the way, my husband has been trying to get me to get rid of the coffee grinder, but I have found that it's good for grinding other things, such as nuts when you need to grind them extra fine.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:11 PM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
On our coffee maker, a "cup" is 5 ounces (whereas a cup measurement is 8 ounces). We've found that one level tablespoon of the Hispanic espresso coffee per 5 ounces of water makes the coffee too strong, so when we're brewing 4 cups of coffee (20 oz. of water), then we put in 3 level tablespoons of coffee. When we're brewing 8 cups of coffee, we put in 7 tablespoons of coffee. Whatever the number of cups we're brewing, we put in 1 less tablespoon of coffee. It's just our own system that seems to work for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink