Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I realize the golden rule is "if in doubt, throw it out!", but I'm hoping that I won't have to throw away a whole freezer worth of food.

So here's what happened. I left my apartment for Thanksgiving break. So from Tuesday afternoon to this morning. When I came back, I found my freezer door was probably about 6" ajar - enough that I could not see into the freezer and there was somewhat of a "seal" present but decidedly not closed. I already threw away all food on the freezer door and near it, because it was all thawed (but it still felt "cold" - refrigerator cold - but definitely thawed). I also threw away the first layer of food near the freezer door.

My question is with the food behind it. It still feels frozen, but some of it has bad freezer burn. Is there a way I can check it to make sure it's ok? I tried Googling the problem, but I didn't have much luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Hi All,

I realize the golden rule is "if in doubt, throw it out!", but I'm hoping that I won't have to throw away a whole freezer worth of food.

So here's what happened. I left my apartment for Thanksgiving break. So from Tuesday afternoon to this morning. When I came back, I found my freezer door was probably about 6" ajar - enough that I could not see into the freezer and there was somewhat of a "seal" present but decidedly not closed. I already threw away all food on the freezer door and near it, because it was all thawed (but it still felt "cold" - refrigerator cold - but definitely thawed). I also threw away the first layer of food near the freezer door.

My question is with the food behind it. It still feels frozen, but some of it has bad freezer burn. Is there a way I can check it to make sure it's ok? I tried Googling the problem, but I didn't have much luck.
If it is frozen or even still partially it should be just fine. A few summers ago I left the freezer, in the garage, mind you, ajar: what a mess. It was probably a day or so before I realized it. Even then, I was able to save a few things, not much. I had to not only clean and sanitize the freezer I had to find a place to throw all the spoiled food. Let me assure you, I have never left the door open again. I check it several times when I go to the garage.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
^Ouch, that sounds horrible!

Yeah, what happened with mine was I put a TV dinner on the freezer door as I was heading out, and I didn't realize that TV dinner would push the door open... or at least not let it close all the way. Oh well. At least I don't have to clean and sanitize it, so I'm thankful for that haha.

Anyways, I think I will take your advice, thanks for offering it! I'll still keep an eye on the food for a few days, and probably eat the first item sometime when I don't have to go anywhere for a while, but hopefully it will all work out.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:50 PM

840 posts, read 772,777 times
Quote:
Hi All,

So here's what happened. I left my apartment for Thanksgiving break. So from Tuesday afternoon to this morning. When I came back, I found my freezer door was probably about 6" ajar - enough that I could not see into the freezer and there was somewhat of a "seal" present but decidedly not closed. . . .
Don't be surprised at your higher than usual energy bill.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:48 AM

20 posts, read 18,563 times
You can't store food in freeze for a long time, if you keep excessive food on it then also it is started to smell. So make sure that less amount of food to freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink