Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you have your groceries bagged?
Paper 7 7.37%
Plastic 30 31.58%
Reusable bags 38 40.00%
Whatever they give me 20 21.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

I fold mine all up except for 1. Then put all of the folded ones into the non folded one. I keep them right next to my purse and car keys. That way I see them every single time I leave the house. When I'm going to be out and going to the store I grab them and put them on the front seat by me.

You could get you a nice key holder to hang on the wall. Hang your keys there along w/ the bags. That way they are always visible everytime you get your keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

86 posts, read 192,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Good tips livetolive it would work for me if my kids didn't throw them in the back of the van. Then they are out of sight. I told them I need to put a post it note on the dash but they vetoed that. I get teased a lot by them because I am a list maker.
Jaxson - Hey lists are great. Nothing wrong with being organized. We all have a lot to remember these days, so you keep making those lists. Tell them those lists help you accomplish all you do.

If your kids refuse to let you put a note on the dash, make them go to the car to retrieve the bags after you are in the store. (of course if they are old enough to do so on their own) After a while they will get tired of going back for the bags, and then next time, they will remind you about the bags before you go in the store.

I am sure you are doing a great job! Glad you liked my tips. Got tons of them...

Old 09-20-2020, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Generally, depending on where we shop we use reusable bags, but we do like plastic once in awhile. Yes we know it isn't good for the enviourment and we do keep the use of plastic down to a minimum but there are times we really like our plastic bags for trash, etc. Paper bags are great as well.
we keep our re-usable bags one inside another, usually in the trunk of the car, so we always have them handy. We do have one store here where we are not allowed to use our own bags during the pandemic.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-20-2020 at 05:30 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I get plastic bags. They make great cat and dog poop receptacles.
That works for us too for our cat and now that there is no more newspaper except on line, here, we use the plastic bags for our cat litter. Even though it isn't the best choice for the oceans, they do have their place.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I like paper or plastic
Then it goes in the burn barrel

Those totes ...
when covid 19 broke
Many stores banned the totes
And went back to plastic .. the totes harbor
Lots of bacteria

I’m in stores all day and use to see well intended
Customers bring in totes ... that smell like cat urine
Quite gross

Old 09-20-2020, 05:44 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Before Covid-19 I brought my own bags. Now we can't. So I'm getting whatever the store uses. Paper or plastic. There are ways to reuse them so they're not immediately wasted. I still bring a reusable one in if I'm only getting 1 or 2 items.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:15 AM

8,771 posts, read 5,059,025 times
I have seen some really nasty bags that people bring in to bag their groceries. They don`t care if one week they have chicken in it, and the next week produce. Me, I like a clean bag, when my groceries, are bagged, be it plastic or paper. I always resuse my bags, for rubbish liners.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:18 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Stores around here are finally letting us bring in reusable bags, IF you bag them yourself so the employee doesn't have to touch them. That's no problem for me; I like the way I bag things better anyway. The only store that makes it a little more difficult is Trader Joe's, which will let you bring your bags and bag your groceries but you can't put the bag on their counter. So it's a choice between putting the bags on the floor to fill them, or holding the bag in one hand and loading with the other--that works only if you have a very few things--or having the cashier put everything back in the cart and standing outside to bag the groceries. Oh, well. Still better in my opinion than ending up with a bunch of plastic bags I don't need and being made to pay 10 cents for each one into the bargain.

I use the very thin old-school plastic bags to line the kitchen trash, but I get enough of those at the farmer's market on Friday to last all week.

I don't worry about bacteria on the reusable bags. There are bacteria everywhere. When a bag gets visibly dirty or worn, I throw it out.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
used to be plastic until My county in NY decided to charge 10 cents per bag. I have been using reusable for 2 years.
I forgot to mention that they now charge for paper bags 10 cents each. I get my reusable bags free. The company I work for gives them out and so does my husbands company so I have plenty.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:30 AM

304 posts, read 151,520 times
Paper is the only thing on offer here in Massachusetts. I use my own bags whenever possible. I'm one of those strange people who does reuse plastic bags, so when I go to Walmart or someplace that does have them I get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products