Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Learn to make Nokedlis, which are incredibly easy Hungarian noodles/dumplings. Break an egg (one egg for each two servings) in a bowl and stir in flour (and a pinch of salt) with a fork until you get a stiff but not dry paste, It should be just thick enough that you can turn the bowl over and it won't run out. (if its too thick, thin it with water.) Using a table-spoon, scoop out spoon-length dips about a half-inch wide, and immerse them into a saucepan of boiling water. It won't look like much, but they really expand. When they float (less than a minute) they are done, put them in a colander with a slotted spoon. Pour out the boiling water when done, put some butter in the hot pan, and toss the Nokedlis into the pan and slosh them around in the butter. Genuine authentic Hungarian noodles for your Paprika chicken. So easy, the kids can make them.

By the way, don't cook the sour cream. Just before serving, swirl in the sour cream, so you can see some white streaking in the red sauce.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-23-2009 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
Mmmm. I love dumplings..I collect dumpling recipes. Now I have another one to try. Thank you!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Well I have done the "TALK" and this afternoon I did the "WALK"

Followed thru with my "Csirke Paprikas" Chicken Stew
Came out pretty GOOD with a couple of minor problems (nothing major)

To start with;
Pkg of 9 drumsticks
Cleaned and soaked the two hrs
Into large pot;
One whole onion sliced
4 garlic cloves (whole)
Two tbl spoons of oil
Sauted until slightly brown
Added One tsp of Hungarian Sweet Paprika
Added One tsp of Hungarian HOT Paprika (should have been 1/2 as it was spicey afterwards)
Stirred One min
Added chicken that had been micr'd 90 secs
Added water (about 2-1/2 cups of water..just to not cover the chicken)
Sprinkled the assorted listed spices (I forgot to add the salt and it was next to all the other spices)
Brought water to a boil and reduced to medium heat for 35 min (30 min would have been fine) I was on computer and lost track of time.

Micro two potatos for 5 min...cleaned skin and poured gravy over it.

Ate 3 drumsticks with the potatos and all is well

Poured some gravy over my two dogs dry food and they loved it of course.

Actual prepp time was one hour... from cleaning to cooking and putting on plate

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Well I'm back like Arnold said in the movie.

Yesterday made a Large pot of Beef Stew Paprikas instead of using chicken. A weekend staple for me.

Changed amount of ingredients a little...could have been better but was okay.

Goof was;
1 lb of beef stew instead of 1-1/2 lbs (needed more meat)
Celery/carrots okay. (same amount)
Cleaned extra potatos which was okay.
Added 1 tsp of Hungarian Sweet Red Paprika (should have been 1-1/2 for color and taste).
Added pinch too much blk pepper (hot on palate).
Added normal spices I showed before in recipe.
The broth was tasty but could have used a little more red paprika for color.

Overall the dish came out pretty good except I will admit that maybe 2 lbs of beef stew will give a much richer flavor to the broth while cooking with the extra red pepper.

Next time I'm going to buy a 2 lb pkg of beef stew. Have extra food left over for the freezer that way.

Hope I did not bore anyone with my procedure. Always better to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
i always wondered about the food mentioned in bram stoker's dracula. i know it was set in romania but i thought the recipes might be hungarian. i think it was called robber's steak and paprika hendl. does anyone have a recipe for these?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i always wondered about the food mentioned in bram stoker's dracula. i know it was set in romania but i thought the recipes might be hungarian. i think it was called robber's steak and paprika hendl. does anyone have a recipe for these?
It (Dracula) actually wasn't set in Romania, it was set in Transylvania. The Magyars conquered and ruled the are since the 9th century. As a matter of fact, Transylvania was part of Hungary until the Treaty of Trianon (WWI).

Treaty of Trianon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robber's steak is probably rablóhús:

Sültek, pecsenyék

If you would like a translation, let me know!

Paprika hendl is none other than the Csirke Paprikás the OP, Steve, posted. Variations abound, and ask any Hungarian how they make it and each has their own version that they swear is the only authentic version. It really is a matter of preference.

I make mine with chicken, paprika, garlic, onions, hungarian sweet peppers (they look like those in the picture linked below), salt, pepper, and sour cream (very little goes a long way). On occasion, I will make the stew thin and add potatoes (when I don't feel like making the nokedli/spaetzle).

http://i.pbase.com/t3/29/328929/4/10...4.LXXtnLr6.jpg

Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,546 times
Default Brings back the memory !!!

Last time I tried Cirke Paprikas in Budapest circa 1999 (I don't remember name of the restaurant) but it was absolutely heavenly (nadyon sep). I have to visit now hungarian place in Wallington, Bergen County called Slavic Exchange (the owner is from Slovakia).

Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Matrcian; What you were trying to say was......
Nadyon Sep...

Nagyon Szeretem

Very much...I like it very much.

I gave the correct translation and spelling in Hungarian for you.

Koszonom (thanks) Pista (steve)

Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 PM

153 posts, read 522,299 times
Chicken, lard, onion, salt, and plenty of red paprika powder. No other herb. If you are rich, ad a tomato and fresh green paprika. Serve with nokedli, sourcream, fresh bread, cabbage salad. Drink wine. Trust me, I am Hungarian...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM

602 posts, read 2,034,241 times
I might have to give this recipe a whirl, I LOVE Chicken Paprikash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink