Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:06 PM

202 posts, read 833,668 times

Advertisements

Ants on a log.
Peanutbutter and celery with raisens sprinkled on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Tell me about Possum Pie. Once in a while I like to live dangerously
POSSUM PIE

2 packages cream cheese, (3 ozs. each), softened
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups cold milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
12 to 16 pecan halves

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Spread onto bottom of crust. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. In another mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes. Add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon over the pecans. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and pecan halves. Yield: 8 servings

See, told ya. Not a possum in sight! So, why, you might ask, is it called Possum Pie? I have NO idea. But, it's good, and we like it.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
POSSUM PIE

2 packages cream cheese, (3 ozs. each), softened
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup instant chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups cold milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
12 to 16 pecan halves

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Spread onto bottom of crust. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. In another mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes. Add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon over the pecans. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and pecan halves. Yield: 8 servings

See, told ya. Not a possum in sight! So, why, you might ask, is it called Possum Pie? I have NO idea. But, it's good, and we like it.

Thank you - I will try it

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM

197 posts, read 397,461 times
What about fried ice cream? What is that any way?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:26 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
Ice cream and bread, sort of - fried.

Fried ice cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And now you know as much about it as I do.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Sausages are often called Bangers here in Oz too, due to the strong British influence. Pronounced 'Banga' so a kangaroo sausage is called ...

Kanga Banga

Other foods which might sound odd ...

Quandong - a native peach
Kakadu Plum - a native plum
Bunya Nuts
Yabby - a freshwater crayfish
Moreton Bay Bugs - a type of lobster
Witchetty Grubs - grubs

and we call chicken 'chook', as in Roast Chook.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Pigs in a blanket
Ants on a log
"chipped" beef

Heck, I even find "Baked Alaska" to be an odd name.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Kitty Litter Cake

1 spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 white cake mix
2 large packages vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared
1 large package vanilla sandwich cookies
green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Roll candies

1 new kitty litter pan
1 new kitty litter pan liner
1 new pooper scooper
Instructions: Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).

Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.

Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.

Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.

Put 3 unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.

Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top. For the coup de gras take one Tootsie Roll and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!

Further notes:
I had a reader write in saying this recipe only needed half the amount of pudding. I personally liked the cake with the amount given in this recipe. But feel free to use this as a loose guideline, use more or less as you see the need. Also, since the layer of cookies (with the chloropyll green specks, covers the top, you could really use any flavor or flavors or cakes underneath.

Last but not least, you can also opt not to crumble the cakes, but rather layer them in the pan with the layers of pudding in between (much like you would layer a trifle into a trifle dish), sprinkle the top layer of pudding with a heavy layer of crumbled cookies. Same effect, different texture entirely to the dessert.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Dump cake. I don't know how to make it, but it was almost like a cobbler, but more "cakey". My friend in college said that it got its name because you just "dump" everything in the pan.

Monkey bread also always struck me as funny.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:46 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,447 times
Blind Pigeons = cabbage rolls

Grilled cheese = the way most Americans make it (in a skillet) there's nothing grilled about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink