Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:04 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Around here they compete with Stop'N Go. Not gonna happen.
....."Not gonna happen "...

It certainly will happen if they reach their goals of new stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
....."Not gonna happen "...

It certainly will happen if they reach their goals of new stores
And if said stores are OOB within 2 years, just how much success is that?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
I'll pick Wawa over Aldi.
What?!?! Even the huge new Wawa's in Orlando can't be compared to Aldi, it's not even close.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I've mentioned this to you before in other threads gypsychic, but I live around the corner from an Aldi in Atlanta and I feel the same. I won't buy pasta from anyplace else, as their store brand is actually Barilla.

I'm also a big fan of Sprouts. The ones near us tend to hire middle-aged workers, who seem passionate about their jobs and the store itself. They're expanding here like crazy right now.

It's extremely unlikely that the store brand pasta at Aldi is from Barilla. It doesn't matter which company produces the pasta. Quality tests have revealed that pasta from huge name brand companies isn't any better than the pasta from small family owned companies. It's quite uncommon that Aldi source their products from huge market-listed corporations.
Similar to Lidl, Aldi prefer to cooperate with medium sized and family owned manufacturer. The Aldi pasta in Germany is from Rey Pastificio Srl, Regione San Vincenzo 1, 14015 San Damiano d'Asti (AT). A company with just 24 employees.
The Lidl store brand pasta is from Pasta Zara S.p.A. Also family owned but with 440 employees much larger. Pasta Zara is the world largest pasta exporter.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I went to Aldis only once or twice, when there was one close to where I lived. I am not sure why. It was next to my favorite nice store (Buehlers), and I felt like the service and selection there had all I needed.
I like a $1. bag of hamburger buns as well as the next person, but the "do it yourself" part is not really something I enjoy.

So now, we're expecting an Aldis (LIDL,too) here, and I will give it a try, but Publix will still be my store.

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-15-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 06:40 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Bigger isn't necessarily better. We like Aldi's just the way it is,,,, small, simple and inexpensive. We never expect to do all of our weekly shopping there, but we're fine with that. Expansions and extra employees cost money. Surely Aldi's charm and lower prices will be lost when those costs are passed onto the customers.

Why does every grocery store chain think their customers want to walk the entire north forty every time we shop?

I admire Aldi's for permitting their cashiers to sit while they work.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:09 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Path Mark had those carts with the quarter slot. Many shoppers would pass the cart to the next customer.
Do you Aldi customers ever pass the cart on to the next shopper?
Yes. And they give me a quarter. When I take somebody else's cart, I give them a quarter. I just hate jerking around with the machines.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
There are some things that simply do not translate well from Europe. I would put retail grocery stores and French cars in the same category. "Supermarkets" were an American invention and remain so. European attempts at copying it has given us the likes of Aldi. I'll pick Wawa over Aldi. I'll like to see what the German answer to Costco would be.
Good post

Clarence Saunders is credited with the first concept grocery store/supermarkets
In 1918. All different departments/Foods under one roof( he was the founder of piggly wigglys and came up with the idea of a ... drive thru
Grocery store in 1941)

In the 1930's king kullen stores started advertising loss leaders on their front page just to get people in the door-

Two factors helped create the modern day supermarket
The car - larger stores could be built cheaper away from main streets.. the birth of strip malls and grocery stores were the anchor

And .... the 40 hr work week means paid every week
And pay wasn't dependent on seasonal agriculture/farming
Remember the signs... cash n carry??
Means no credit or charge accounts

Also refrigeration/ freezer. Played a big part in expanding stores and also keeping
Foods safer at home

Before 50 yrs ago many towns had 15 different stores
Also think back to all the past grocery stores
That are no longer ( a&p) was one of the largest chains at one time
Now gone

First nationals , red & whites. Many regional old favorites

Iga. Is still around. In fact still over 5 k around the world
These are independents. And under lots of pressure to survive

Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Before 50 yrs ago many towns had 15 different stores
Also think back to all the past grocery stores
That are no longer ( a&p) was one of the largest chains at one time
Now gone

A&P was the largest retailer in the world at it's peak (1920s-1950s). Like Woolworth's, they were slow to react to the move of folks to the suburbs after WW2, which resulted in their eventual demise.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
A&P was the largest retailer in the world at it's peak (1920s-1950s). Like Woolworth's, they were slow to react to the move of folks to the suburbs after WW2, which resulted in their eventual demise.
They were also union - the last a&p closed in Maine in Greenville
About 20 yrs ago payroll was a much higher %. Than other non union stores

When you don't have high volume , unions can hurt a store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink