Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,170,648 times

Advertisements

They are growing. Also, they are really good about carrying trendy and seasonal items. They should work on expanding their produce section, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
expanding the produce section or anything else would defeat the purpose. they are a simple, small selection store carrying mostly their own brands and pretty general. We are happy with the produce selection. All the basic produce we use is there. The things that are more specialized we can get at our local market or a specialty store.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
expanding the produce section or anything else would defeat the purpose. they are a simple, small selection store carrying mostly their own brands and pretty general. We are happy with the produce selection. All the basic produce we use is there. The things that are more specialized we can get at our local market or a specialty store.
In order for them to become the 3rd largest grocery chain, they will need to offer more. And for me, their limited produce section does nothing for me and is one of the reasons why I don't choose to shop there more often.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,007,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
In order for them to become the 3rd largest grocery chain, they will need to offer more. And for me, their limited produce section does nothing for me and is one of the reasons why I don't choose to shop there more often.
seems that isn't stopping many .

No store can be " everything to everyone"

"jack of all trades, master of none "

Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,909,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are happy with the produce selection. All the basic produce we use is there.
Aldi's produce section is the reason I don't shop there. I never need a three- or five-pound bag of red onions, and you can't buy them individually.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I hear what you are saying, but we have to remember they cater to a little different clientele than some stores and major chains are starting to lose their charm. Look at how many have closed stores though out the country. I think today's shopper is leaning more toward shopping at smaller, specialty stores, big box stores and stores that off a good product for the money. It is like what we are seeing with large malls, the days of one in every town is a thing of the past. We shop differently than we did 20, 30 or more years ago.

Jay, I do get that. I do buy most of my produce at ours or from the farmers market but you are right. It is like going to Sam's or Costco. The gigantic sized bags isn't for everyone. For me at the price for say potatoes or onions at Aldi's I will buy them and if a few spoil I have still gotten my money's worth. Of course most of their produce isn't in large bags. At least now at our Aldi's

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,567,333 times
Well, I for one, wish Winn Dixie would die. This chain ate up 'Sweet Bay' not long ago, and did nothing but destroy not only food but service. If Aldi offers better, so be it.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:12 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,505,107 times
For some items ALDI is very good but for others not!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
They are probably ramping up to defend themselves against Lidl, which is entering the US market. These companies are not only quite good at what they do, they treat their employees WAY better than the US grocery chains. It is amazing how they can do what they do. I know my local Aldi was hiring at $13 an hour to start with full benefits and more, which is much better than the crap pay at Walmart and Target. Oh and I am in Pittsburgh, which is a pretty reasonable place to live. Not sure what the start pay would be in the larger markets.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Well, I for one, wish Winn Dixie would die. This chain ate up 'Sweet Bay' not long ago, and did nothing but destroy not only food but service. If Aldi offers better, so be it.

Is Winn Dixie that bad now? When I lived in their market it was so easy to coupon there. Plus, their fried fish from their deli beats some restaurants.

Anyway, at ALDI I mostly buy their trendy stuff like sriracha mustard, things that they don't carry every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink