Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:29 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Step 1 - Boil water (no eggs)

Step 2 - When water is boiling, remove it from the heat and let it sit for about 20 seconds, until it stops roiling. Keep the heat as it is. Slowly spoon the eggs into the water. Done properly, they will rarely crack upon being placed in the water. There must be enough water to cover all the eggs by about one inch.

Step 3 - Put the eggs back on the heat and and cook as long as desired*.

*I go with 12 minutes. This produces what I would call a classic cooked hard-boiled egg. But you can experiment, adding or subtracting one or more minutes until you hit your own personal sweet spot if you like.

Step 4 - Have a large bowl of cold water ready. When the time is up, immediately spoon the eggs into the cold water.

Result? Perfect eggs, every time. Every eggs peels easily, every time.

The secret is that the water is fully boiling when you start. That eliminates variations in time bringing water to boil that different stoves will have.
This is very similar to what I do, with one addition - I take the eggs out of the fridge and place them on the counter before I begin, giving them a chance to come to room temp before slipping them into the hot water. This way, I don't need to use the needle trick and still avoid having the eggs crack upon touching the water.

I also only cook for 11 minutes - 12 minutes runs the risk of greening of the yolks, which I abhor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 09:37 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
DH has 8 hard boiled eggs every week. The method never changes.

Place in a pan covered with water, bring to a hard boil, cover and remove from heat. Let set for 10 minutes. Drain out hot water and replace with cold water. Crack the shells. When cool, crack the shells so that there is a fine mesh of cracks all over the egg. Roll the egg in your hands for a few seconds and it will peel easily.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:51 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,528,901 times
Default Hard boiled eggs - use ice water afterwards

Everybody says to soak your hardboiled eggs in ice water right after boiling them, so they are easy to peel.

I do that, but sometimes I still have problems with the shell stuck to the egg too much. Are there any more tips about how to make this work?

Does it matter how long you soak them?

Old 11-27-2022, 03:18 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Your eggs may be a bit fainted. Southernese for old.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:31 PM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Your eggs may be a bit fainted. Southernese for old.
I think it’s actually the opposite. I’ve always heard that the fresher your eggs are, the harder they are to peel.

As for soaking in ice water, I never do that. They are either very easy to peel or not. I’ve never noticed any difference according to how they are cooked or cooled.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:22 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I soak them in ice water, but to stop the cooking ... not to make them easier to peel.

I usually peel my eggs under running water. Once you can break through the membrane and get some water in there, the shell usually comes off easily.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I soak them in ice water, but to stop the cooking ... not to make them easier to peel.

I usually peel my eggs under running water. Once you can break through the membrane and get some water in there, the shell usually comes off easily.
Yes - this is exactly what I do. I put the pan with the eggs in the sink under the tap running a stream of cold water. A few minutes later when they're no longer warm I peel each under the running stream - especially easy if you have a garbage disposal to catch the shells as you go.

While cooking them I try to rotate them a bit in the water through the process - mainly so the yolks aren't lopsided (a bigger deal if they are for company or you're making devilled eggs) but I think it also makes them easier to peel.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
Get something like this and your problems will be gone.
https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Cuisine...b-3bb461a9a5a6

Old 11-27-2022, 06:56 PM

76 posts, read 50,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Everybody says to soak your hardboiled eggs in ice water right after boiling them, so they are easy to peel.

I do that, but sometimes I still have problems with the shell stuck to the egg too much. Are there any more tips about how to make this work?

Does it matter how long you soak them?
Try this:

After the eggs are hardboiled and after you put them in ice water take each egg out in turn, roll it on it side and ends to crack the shell all over and flake a tiny piece of shell off and replace in the water and let them sit about 10 minutes. As the heat from the egg dissipates in the water, water will infiltrate between the shell and the egg making them much easier to peel.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:28 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
What MechAndy said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink