Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times

Advertisements

And if you still have problems peeling them - roll them gently between your hands under running water to loosen the shell into tiny pieces. Work a tablespoon under a good loose spot and work the shell free while still under running water. It's not perfect, but it helps.

I leave my raw eggs out on the counter for about 48+ hours before boiling to 'make' them old. One day outside the fridge is like three days in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I always leave the eggs from my hens on the counter instead of in the fridge (refrigerate store bought eggs because they've been washed and thus the natural protective coating has been removed). Fresh out of the hen, even stored outside the fridge it takes about a week for them to be reliably peelable when boiled. Three weeks is best.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM

But the egg processors coat washed eggs with 55 weight food-grade mineral oil to replace the natural coating

Agree with 'the longer you leave them out, the better'.

TexasHorseLady, nice to run into another egg lady - I managed an egg co-operative in So-Cal for 23 years.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Now I want deviled eggs!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Now I want deviled eggs!
Well then, here you go

Eggs from Hell
12 boiled eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons lime juice (or white vinegar)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 Jalapeno chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced **see note
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
salt
pepper
Jalapeno slices
radish slices

Peel eggs and cut into halves. Separate yolks and whites. Put yolks, sour cream, and lime juice in a baggie you can seal. Seal. Moosh around until mixed. Add onions, chilies, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Moosh around until mixed. Cut small corner off of baggie and pipe into egg whites. Top with slices of Jalapeno and radish.
(If you cover an egg flat [container that comes with 30 eggs] with foil, it makes a perfect carrying plate for the deviled eggs)
**note - Use gloves to handle Jalapenos! Don't touch the gloves to your face or your skin! Wimps can use a 4 ounce can of Ortega chopped green chilies

Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
But the egg processors coat washed eggs with 55 weight food-grade mineral oil to replace the natural coating

Agree with 'the longer you leave them out, the better'.

TexasHorseLady, nice to run into another egg lady - I managed an egg co-operative in So-Cal for 23 years.
Yeah. Did you ever read the study about what way was the best way to preserve eggs, conducted by someone who did long range sailing and thus really needed to know? (Not many grocery stores - or hens - out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!)

They tried everything. They found, over time (the study took a year), that the best thing to do to preserve eggs was to take them from the nest, brush them off gently (NO water!), and leave them out. Second best was waterglass. Worst thing was to wash them.

Of course, once I actually watched the process of raising a clutch, I realized that, yes, eggs that are left to their own devices outside in a nest are fine for quite a while - they have to be, because a hen sits on a clutch of 20 or more eggs and only lays one egg a day. Even with help from her flock mates, it takes a while to make up that clutch!

Just another case of Mother Nature somehow knowing a bit more than we do!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I use older eggs and put the eggs in cold water and boil them with the water. I've heard adding a bit of vinegar helps, but I never have any at hand so I use a little salt. When they're done boiling (I think its better to boil them a little too long rather than not enough) I stick them in cold water as soon as possible and let them sit for a few minutes before I start peeling.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM

I mash my yolks with mustard, mayo, white pepper and bonnes herbes (a French mixture, primarily dill).

Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They tried everything. They found, over time (the study took a year), that the best thing to do to preserve eggs was to take them from the nest, brush them off gently (NO water!), and leave them out. Second best was waterglass. Worst thing was to wash them.
But what about bacteria on the eggshells? Do you just wash them when you are ready to use them?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I buy the eggs about two weeks before I need them (for peeling or baking). Three days before using them, I set them out on the counter. To boil them, I prick the end with a pin, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. I boil them for 7 minutes, then remove them from the heat and let them cool for about an hour. I crack each one, then set them in cold water for a few minutes before peeling them.

If I'm making deviled eggs, I cut them in half and place the yolks in a large Ziploc. I smoosh mayo, mustard, relish, a dab of sour cream, celery salt and pepper together until it looks right. I snip a corner off the bag and use it to pipe the mix into the egg halves.

If I'm making egg salad, I sit down with a bowl with high sides and coarsely chop the egg with a butter knife until I get the right size consistency. Then I add finely chopped onion and everything I add to deviled eggs.

I always boil a couple extra eggs "just in case" and have a back up plan involving egg salad, me & lunch whenever making deviled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink