Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times

Advertisements

I have a heard time understanding the differences between Creole and Cajun food. They both pretty much use similar produces, and both originate near NOLA in Southern Louisiana. Is it the way it is prepared??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 03:17 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
Cajun cuisine is based on the people who were kicked out of French Canada and settled in the swamp areas of Louisiana. I guess you would call it rustic cooking. It is more country cooking.

Creoles were city people with a mix of French, Spanish and African and their cuisine combined these cultures. I guess you could say it was more refined.

They use similar ingredients but there are subtle differences.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
Cajun cuisine is based on the people who were kicked out of French Canada and settled in the swamp areas of Louisiana. I guess you would call it rustic cooking. It is more country cooking.

Creoles were city people with a mix of French, Spanish and African and their cuisine combined these cultures. I guess you could say it was more refined.

That's pretty much it. You'll also rarely see tomatoes in Cajun cuisine, whereas they're very popular in Creole. Creole also tends to have a much heavier French influence than Cajun, and be more fond of sauces, versus the one pot meals of Cajun cuisine. Cajun is also more prone to be spicy and pepper-heavy.

The subtle differences have blended together over time, so now there really isn't much difference in practice.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post

Excellent.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I have a heard time understanding the differences between Creole and Cajun food. They both pretty much use similar produces, and both originate near NOLA in Southern Louisiana. Is it the way it is prepared??
Nature,

If you google the name "Justin Wilson", he was a Cajun gentleman who had an excellent and entertaining show on years ago, and I mean way before Paula Deen, Rachel Ray and others became household names in regards to cooking shows today. To be honest, if he were still alive and well now I would rather watch his show than most others. He was not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed him.

The Southwestern portion of La. is heavily influenced by Cajuns, and it's referred to as "Cajun Country". The New Orleans area and surrounding parishes tend to have higher concentrations of Creoles, but both groups are also scattered throughout the state. Depite the differences in the groups, they share a common passion for cooking.

Here is a link that will hopefully offer more answers:

The Roots of Cajun and Creole Cuisine (http://www.frontiercoop.com/learn/features/cajunfood2.html - broken link)

Old 05-18-2009, 03:26 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
Justin Wilson is THE person who was an expert on Cajun cooking.

Emeril, I think tries to combine the two. He is another good one.

Rachael Ray does her version of Jambalaya and Gumbo and I would avoid those if you want authentic.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,104 times
Here in Florida..we attribute cajun cooking to Louisiana..and creole cooking to Haitians.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
I keep a bottle of "Creole Spice Mix" and a bottle of "Cajun Spice Mix" on my stove and use one or the other in most everything I cook. Both are quite spicy, but the Cajun is a little hotter.

My wife's family has lived in New Orleans ever since the Yankees burned their plantation. They say that when I use either of those spice mixes I turn perfectly good food into something that is only fit for "Toerists" and "Neegrahs".

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
creole refers to an area of the world having very similar cuisine inc florida caribbean and parts of gulf coast.
cajun comes from the word arcadia refers to the canadians that purchased large tracks in SW louisiana after treaty of paris and moved there. but thru usage, and with the years anybody that spoke french and lived in louisiana started calling themselves cajun. remembering that 1000's of haitians were brought to louisiana to raise sugar cane so you got tremendous creole influence.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 AM

48 posts, read 139,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Nature,

If you google the name "Justin Wilson", he was a Cajun gentleman who had an excellent and entertaining show on years ago, and I mean way before Paula Deen, Rachel Ray and others became household names in regards to cooking shows today. To be honest, if he were still alive and well now I would rather watch his show than most others. He was not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed him.

The Southwestern portion of La. is heavily influenced by Cajuns, and it's referred to as "Cajun Country". The New Orleans area and surrounding parishes tend to have higher concentrations of Creoles, but both groups are also scattered throughout the state. Depite the differences in the groups, they share a common passion for cooking.

Here is a link that will hopefully offer more answers:

The Roots of Cajun and Creole Cuisine (http://www.frontiercoop.com/learn/features/cajunfood2.html - broken link)

man you got it backwards.... cajun is from SE. creole is from SW......

and what is the difference????? tomatoes. take cajun food & add tomatoes & you get creole.... ok so there are more differences but this one liner makes it simple to differentiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink