Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Chicago but I've been in Glendale, CA for three years. I have yet to find good pizza or good Chinese food. There are several wonderful restaurants in Glendale with varied menus, but none of them, including the delivery places, get it quite right when it comes to tasty pizza. I prefer crispy thin crust pizza with the basic toppings of sauce, cheese and sausage (okay, green peppers, and mushrooms when I'm in the mood).

The Chinese restaurants don't serve Hong Sue Chicken, the shrimp and lobster sauce is always that pale, sickly light color (I prefer the rich brown sauce with lots of green onions mixed in), and the rib appetizers are always fatty, greasy and either over or undercooked. I've tried a number of restaurants in my quest for at least a tasty pizza or Chinese food meal and I've been unsuccessful. I'm not trying to be picky, I just would love to sink my teeth into a pizza that doesn't automatically add pepperoni along with unidentifiable sausage, have a chewy doughy crust, pineapple chunks, and is obviously microwaved and cut into fat inedible triangles!

Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
For pizza, go to Mr. K's on Glenoaks and Sonora. Been going there for years and love his pizza and his sub sandwiches.

MODS - this would get much more responses in the Los Angeles Forum and would probably provide better answers for the OP.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Thanks DaBeez! I actually thought about putting it in the Los Angeles forum but I thought since it was food related, I'd post it here. I think you're right so I will post it there as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
You are very close to some of the best Chinese food in the country in Monterey Park and Alhambra.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 PM

Don't tease...I want names of restaurants then...my tongue is hanging out for some good Chinese food and pizza!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Pick any place on Garvey,Garfield,Atlantic or Valley that looks good. This is the new Chinatown! Sam Woo at 514 W Valley Boulevard in Alhambra is a famous place. Cheap and specializing is Chinese Barbeque. It gets insanely crowded so it is best to go at a non peak time. Stick with classic Cantonese dishes(like the barbecued pork,beef chow fun with black bean sauce,sauteed shrimp,beef with ginger & scallion,chicken with cashews,westlake beef soup,yeung chow fried rice & maybe the the deep fried fish fillet) & avoid the spicy dishes here. This is real authentic Hong Kong style food. You won't find Hong Su here. Hong Su,along with Sub Gum is a regional Chinese American creation which seems to be found mostly in Illinois and Wisconsin.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Growing up in S. Cali I loved eating pizza from Numero Uno and Round Table. Brings back fun memories from back in the day
Numerounopizzaco.com, Roundtablepizza.com

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM

Thank you capoeira - I learned something new, I didn't know that "hong su" dishes were sort of midwestern style Chinese food. I'm going to try Sam Woo's this weekend.

Thank you Autumn for the pizza suggestions. I've seen the Round Table commercials (that fat guy talking to meatballs was such a turn off, I'd never even considered actually going), but I will try the one in Burbank soon. I tried Little Tony's in Burbank but their thin crust pizza was salty and the cheese was clumpy and sort of tasted like molded plastic.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Praline,

You're welcome.
Let me know how you liked it
It's been many years but I think I liked Numero Uno a little better than Round Table.
There is a Numero Uno in Glendale, Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink