Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Your oil isn't hot enough. 375 F. minimum.......

I was disappointed in all of the food at Downtown Disney.

Years ago while living in Atlanta, our neighbors invited us over for meatloaf dinner. I was expecting meatloaf with a red sauce, corn, and mashed potatoes. I was only 20 years old, and thought that was how everybody ate meatloaf.

I got a huge disappointing surprise when a large, brown, dry, lump of meat was placed on the table. I managed to choke it down, but that wasn't the end of learning a lesson.

A few weeks later I bought some really nice steaks. We invited the same couple for dinner. They said, "We'll cook the steaks on the grill, while you guys finish getting the sides together". Hey, that sounded good.

We finished making a salad, cut a loaf of Italian bread, and pulled a pan of baked beans from the oven. Man-0-man, this is going to be good. I love steak.

We carry everything to the neighbors apartment, and sitting there on the table are my beautiful steaks covered in barbecue sauce. The wife says that the look of shear horror on my face was priceless. I'm still trying to figure out how somebody that makes a dry lump of meatloaf could even possibly think about ruining steaks with barbecue sauce.

Twenty three years later I'm still ready to choke the crap out of anybody that talks about how great Southern cooking is.
Priceless.

I HATE bbq sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I tried making a grilled polenta last week. No one in my family liked it.....after all that whisking that was disappointing....I have wondered about that "no stir" peanut butter. I haven't bought any, as much as I dislike the stirring and unless you get it really stirred well at the get go, you end up with the hard mess at the bottom of the jar, I figured they have to be adding something to it....now I know....
Keep the peanut butter turned upside down, from the moment you get it from the store until it is about 1/3 gone (I actually put it in my cart upside down). All the oil raises to the top, so in this case, it is really rising to the bottom, making it easier to mix and keeping the bottom stuff moist until the end.

It seems like I am continually disappointed when eating out. We ate at a fast food Mexican place in northern Arizona after living and eating Mexican in southern Arizona for just over a year. Yuck! Everything was out of a can!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,176 times
I still stand by my disappointment with chocolate. Herseys use to be the best but now it tastes like wax. Nestle....well with all their negative press, we don't touch it anymore. Melamine...mmmm.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
BBQ Bacon Ranch Dip - All Recipes

. I just did a trial run on this dip before this party on the 3rd.

Want some crappy dip?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Last evening I went to a restaurant that I'd wanted to try for a while, nothing grand, a franchise, but it looked promising. It was ...OK...nothing to rave about, certainly not great. I felt so disappointed.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:23 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Can I pick the bacon out of the dip and just eat that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
BBQ Bacon Ranch Dip - All Recipes

. I just did a trial run on this dip before this party on the 3rd.

Want some crappy dip?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Bought a bottle of Mountain Dew last week. Tasted off. Bought another this morning on my last five dollars until payday. Tasted off, again. And I've been drinking canned Dew regularly, so I have something else to compare it with.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Can I pick the bacon out of the dip and just eat that?

Oh, absolutely.

Now, looking at it. I really don't know what possessed me.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
The one and only restuarant up on Crown King, Arizona.

I thought the food was bad. I couldn't eat all my food on my plate. I don't think I'll eat there again. I can't remember the name of it. But I'm bringing my own food for now on.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Default Restaurant demerits

Here, In Las Vegas, every Wed. in the Taste section, they give a long list of the restaurants in town with various grades, which were closed, which has how many demerits for this and that. I wish I had never stumbled upon this section of the newspaper.

One Wed. it even reported a cockroach in a microwave oven at a fast food chain, which I won't mention.

I recently did a buffet here. It must have been the braised beef in barbecue sauce. I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrid taste in my mouth, I believe from the braised beef. I raced downstairs and tried everything to get it out, a splash of whiskey, milk, wine, a cookie, and finally some citrus.
Finally! I could go back to sleep!

I rarely eat out anymore. You spoil yourself by cooking yourself. Yes, it can be really messy and take up a lot of your time and energies, but in the end, you're always glad you expended the effort to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink