Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times

Advertisements

Hello all, after months of staying away from the Food and Drink forum I'm back. Late last year I had several deaths in my family...and all of these family members were people that I had "inherited" my love of cooking from.

I haven't done much cooking at all for several months now, and I'm finally getting back to turning on my stove without getting depressed.

Anyway, my burners are lit and I'm back!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Good for you! So sorry to hear about your losses. Maybe you can now recall fond memories when you turn on your stove instead of getting sad. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Hello all, after months of staying away from the Food and Drink forum I'm back. Late last year I had several deaths in my family...and all of these family members were people that I had "inherited" my love of cooking from.

I haven't done much cooking at all for several months now, and I'm finally getting back to turning on my stove without getting depressed.

Anyway, my burners are lit and I'm back!
Oh my I am so sorry! How sad. I can see how cooking would be difficult in that situation. I am just so sorry!
But on a happy note I am so happy to see you back again! You were missed. Looking forward to spending some good conversation and cooking ideas with you.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Glad you are back with us Seattlerain..... hopefully you can come in for company now and like NMS said the food will bring back find memories....

We had such a busy day so far. Went to the Y with friends for the kids to swim with and then off to do PTA stuff at school.... lunch and now it is Wii time for the kids.... Tink is getting her afternoon trouble making in... mightfind her way into her pen soon. Our servings of ice cream our down the hatch.... must get some laundry done....

and dinner???? well that is undecided just yet.... I just don't know! I have chicken... Eggplant... Green beans.... sounds good- but what to do with them???? What oh What shall I do???? hmmmmm.........

Hopefully Hubby will NOT be late tonight. However I think he might be! Maybe.... he was up and out the door well before any of us were up this morning. He is trying to get ready for our trip to TN. We leave next Thurs and doesn't want anything hanging over his head- totally understand that! I wouldn't either - but it would be so nice to have him here.

Ok DOG! So getting frustrated with her!!!!! More paper on the floor!!!!! LOL..... this dog gets into everything!!! I have to run... she needs to go out.....

Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Looks like one of my all time favorite peasant dishes....Some of my wife's special recipe red flannel hash. Hope she gets a new bottle of ketchup because I like the hash with the ketchup.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:48 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Yum Noma!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
I'm gonna truck on down to Searsport tonight because there's a little hole in the wall called Shorty's and I keep seeing their sign for AYCE fried haddock OR scallop dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, I think I just sealed that one!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Looks like one of my all time favorite peasant dishes....Some of my wife's special recipe red flannel hash. Hope she gets a new bottle of ketchup because I like the hash with the ketchup.
Is it because I'm from the mountains of CA or what?? I have never had homemade red flannel hash or any kind of hash to be honest. I feel so left out.......what exactly is it and what do you have it with?? I know I could Google it but you guys will explain it in layman terms to me!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I love red flannel hash.....I think everyone probably has a slightly different version.....I make it sometimes but not as tradionally as my Dad did.

It is a meal designed to use up the remains of a New England Boiled Dinner....so basically you have corned beef, boiled potatoes, boiled carrots, some yellow turnip, and some cabbage..(but you dont want too much juice with that cabbage...perhaps some boiled onion .... and for red flannel hash Some boiled beets!!!!!

This all needs to be minced finely, Dad used a big wooden bowl that had been his mother's to chop it up with a round blade chopping knife with a wooden handle...the bowl had the stains of the years . Sometimes Mom would put it all thru the old crank style meat grinder....if she was making it .... instead of chopping.

Then a black cast iron fry pan.... was heated up and some salt pork rendered for some grease....and the chopped hash is put in the pan....and flattened out to cover the bottom of the pan.....as it heats it will bubble a bit and need some tending to keep it from scorching on the bottom....Dad would then use a spatula to turn it the best he could....it doesnt flip like a pancake by anymeans.....and then put the pan in a hot oven to bake and heat through.....

In our house it was often served for a Sunday night supper ..... with fried eggs and bread and butter and chow chow relish and yes Nomad....ketchup.

This isnt a real recipe it is more a memory.....altho I do my own version from time to time.

here's a link to a real recipe for hash.....http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/...nnel-hash.html

Last edited by elston; 08-13-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 02:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Is it because I'm from the mountains of CA or what?? I have never had homemade red flannel hash or any kind of hash to be honest. I feel so left out.......what exactly is it and what do you have it with?? I know I could Google it but you guys will explain it in layman terms to me!
Ours is so simple. Just scramble and brown some ground beef in a skillet with a little EVOO and some dice onions, once nearly done add some diced potatoes and as they start to get tender add some more onions. I drown mine in ketchup and usually have a green veggie and maybe a tomato. Any non starch veggie makes a good side...green beans,asparagus, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink