Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
You just ruined the reputation of all of TX. I at least add chopped fresh peppers.
Nearly all of Texas as there are too many transplants there now and more flood the state lines as the rest of the country is going to hell in a basket. They don't understand the food thing there. When one learns to cook with mesquite I will repect your knowledge of Texas cooking.

I use to buy whole dried peppers and grind them up in a processor rather than use prepared chile powder. Jalepenos and onion were required and pintos were served on the side in case you wanted beans. Chile = meat and peppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post

How my family makes chili (seriously):

1. Brown and drain beef
2. Add salt/pepper and chili powder
3. Add a little water
4. Stir/heat thoroughly

If people are *really* adventurous, they might add a tomato or some onion...
Hardcore chile enthusiests don't drain the flavor from coarse cut beef.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
California = $1 tacos from the taco truck
Texas = BBQ beef brisket
Arkansas = ???

Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If it's because of the alcohol content don't fret as that is cooked out leaving the flavor. It's the same when cooking with wine or liquers. Enjoy the beer batted fish.
As a Muslim I am forbidden to eat something if any alcohol was used at any point it it's production.

Something containing alcohol did come in contact with the fish, the fish is no longer Halal and not permissible for me to eat.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
What chile is actually used in green chili?
There are many different types of green chile. The type that is used depends on each individuals taste as well as the heat level.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Nearly all of Texas as there are too many transplants there now and more flood the state lines as the rest of the country is going to hell in a basket. They don't understand the food thing there. When one learns to cook with mesquite I will repect your knowledge of Texas cooking.

I use to buy whole dried peppers and grind them up in a processor rather than use prepared chile powder. Jalepenos and onion were required and pintos were served on the side in case you wanted beans. Chile = meat and peppers.
I don't claim to be Texan or even close. I don't claim to, or attempt to, make Texas chili either. I make it as I like it. And I was kidding about Texas's reputation Of course people have different preferences.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As a Muslim I am forbidden to eat something if any alcohol was used at any point it it's production.

Something containing alcohol did come in contact with the fish, the fish is no longer Halal and not permissible for me to eat.
You're a Muslim? I did not expect this.

For reference, I myself do not have anything against Muslims.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
You're a Muslim? I did not expect this.

For reference, I myself do not have anything against Muslims.
Most of us are not Arab. For instance my heritage is Lithuanian/American My grand parents moved to the US from Lithuania in 1895. My wife is Native American--Cheyenne

I know more about Lithuanian/Polish cooking than Mideastern. I eat Kugali a lot more often than I eat Cous-cous

Now getting back to topic although I named a ND specialty.

Up here in the Southern half of ND There is a favorite shared with South Dakota, Rhubarb Kuchen.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:34 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Anything with peaches. Pecan pies too. Also, Brunswick stew, okra and tomatoes, cathead biscuits, cornbread, fried chicken, country fried steak, pulled pork, etc. etc. etc. Georgia is famous for good old fashioned Southern cooking.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Western Oregon has native blackberries and invasive Himalayan blackberries. Himalayan blackberry thickets here can cover small buildings if left unchecked (no kidding). They are often the enemy.

Because of the invasive ones, blackberries have a bad name in Oregon. But marionberries are accepted, and they're pretty much just huge blackberries on plants that don't expand any more than you want them to.

In western Oregon you can get all the wild Himalayan ones you want and more, in July and August. I love them. They make just as good a pie (imo) as marionberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink