Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If you could put all the food your state was famous for on a plate, what would you have? For me, it would be fried catfish and Doe's hot tamales.
Not familiar with Doe's. how many flavors of tamales do they make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I am from Southern California and in my city it has to be Mexican food. The truth be known there are food trucks and food trailers everywhere selling the best tasting burritos, tortas, and taco's around. For Christmas time its tamale central. We usually order a dozen pork, chicken, beef, and sweet tamales. I prefer the pork myself. Sometimes my wife will get some cheese tamales as well. Those usually have some jalapenos in them.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
A quote from the resource you linked...

"...Poke is a traditional southern Appalachian food. The leaves and stems can both be eaten, but must be cooked. The leaves have a taste similar to spinach; the stems taste similar to asparagus. Traditionally, poke is boiled, then fatback is added and cooked some more to add flavor..."
I thought the stems were poisonous. Oh, well, better safe than than sorry. Is it just the South? It grows in the Mid-Atlantic, too. I've never seen garlic mustard when it was young enough to eat. Either that, or I only notice it when it's in flower. By then, it's not supposed to taste very good.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not familiar with Doe's. how many flavors of tamales do they make?
Just beef.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Kentucky....
Bourbon balls, Bourbon beef, bourbon chicken, bourbon everything lol...fried chicken, Hot Browns, Burgoo,
Mint Juleps, Country Ham and Derby Pie.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NJ: Taylor ham* with eggs and cheese on a hard roll.

*Some people say "pork roll", of which Taylor ham is a brand, and this is a bone of much contention in NJ. I never even heard the term "pork roll" until well into adulthood, so obviously THOSE PEOPLE are WRONG. Probably from South Jersey.

Anyway, it's delicious and will exponentially increase your chance of a heart attack.

Here is a picture:

Pork Roll Sandwich with Egg & Cheese
...or they're from PA, like me. Pork roll, pork roll, pork roll. I do like a meat disc, egg and cheese every once in a while. My triglyceride and cholesterol numbers are impressive. Every year the doctor asks about my diet.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
California: Sand Dabs, of course, although the first thing that popped into my mind was California-style Pizza (mostly about the crust, and the Olive Oil). Or maybe Date Shakes?

Minnesota: Tater Tot Hot Dish, which is actually pretty good (But truly, I love EVERYTHING, when surrounded by Minnesotans, because I ADORE Minnesotans).

Mississippi: Pig Ear Sammich (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG58qxnXNLQ), and Kool-Aid Dill Pickles (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...kool.html?_r=0) Mississippi Mud Pie is simply too Upper Middle Class to count. I had a tiny sliver, once (served in a rich, erudite, Presbyterian home, the sort of abode the Mainstream Media insists does not even EXIST, in Mississippi), and it was delicious. I felt giddy, for about fifteen seconds, until the Sugar Shock set in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4mljfOCI8). Or maybe Comeback Sauce on a Cracker? (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/di...ever-left.html)

Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Onion burgers. Regular hamburger grilled over a mass of onions, it was a way to stretch beef and money during the Depression.

My home state (AZ) is known for chimichangas, carne seca, mole' and machaca.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:08 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We travel through Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina regularly. There's no end to the culinary wonders found in The South. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, BBQ pork is a religion down here. Long conversations ensue when BBQers meet and get to chatting about the best types of wood to use, optimum temperatures, and left-hand vs right-hand cuts of meat (one should never interject experiences with their gas grill at such gatherings).
Now, you're making all southern food sound incredible.. Might i remind you of Pickled Pigs Feet.. The ever-present 2 gallon jug of pickled eggs on the counter. Chitterlings. Hog Jowls.

There's lots of good.. But there's bad, too. Frankly.. I can't stand Collard Greens.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Onion burgers. Regular hamburger grilled over a mass of onions....
Yum, those are incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
...My home state (AZ) is known for chimichangas, carne seca, mole' and machaca...
I'm not so sure Mexico would appreciate Arizona claiming to be known for the Oaxacan classic, and the "National Dish of Mexico," mole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink