Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

I heard today, that you wouldn't use cast iron to make jam. But stainless or anodized aluminum are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I heard today, that you wouldn't use cast iron to make jam. But stainless or anodized aluminum are fine.
Yes, you would want a non-reactive vessel (due to the acid in the jam), such as what you mentioned, the heavier the better.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 PM

191 posts, read 698,261 times
I absolutely swear by Calphalon and have been using the same pots/pans for over 10 years now and they look just like they did when I bought them - at this rate I expect to use them until I die. I have mostly the hard anodized version but a few nonsticks aswell for pancakes/eggs etc. One of my favorites is their Nonstick 12-Inch Covered Fry Pan which is a perfect all purpose pan.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
The nice thing about cast iron? I can brown my chicken or pork chop on the stove, and then stick the whole thing right into a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes to make sure the meat is cooked through completely.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Every non-stick pot or pan I've ever owned was scratched within a week or two of buying.
If you use the right utensils and cook what the pan is meant for, this should never happen.
I use a nonstick for eggs with one of those silicone pampered-chef spoon/spatulas.

From the wikipedia link:

While PTFE is stable and non-toxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 °C (500 °F), and decompose above 350 °C (660 °F).[14] These degradation by-products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[14]

Meat is usually fried between 200–230 °C (400–450 °F), and most oils will start to smoke before a temperature of 260 degrees is reached, but there are at least two cooking oils (Safflower oil and Avocado oil) which have a higher Smoke point than 260 degrees. Empty cookware can also exceed this temperature upon heating.

I don't think I have ever cooked eggs over 500 °

I do have several Le Creuset pieces, including a large saucepan, and use the saucepan all the time. It's nice that it can go from stove to oven.
I tried stainless steel but it just didn't work out for me.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Anyone have both? Or a preference for one over the other? When I watch chefs on tv cook, it always looks like nothing is really sticking to the stainless, so really, I'm confused.

I don't really care that people say nonstick is bad for you. I want a good pan. preferably 12".
Stainless and cast iron. That way, you do not have to worry about the chemicals leaching out of the coating, or eating the coating by accident, etc.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
I probably use cast iron the most, have good SS and some non stick. I'm gradually getting away from non stick. We have a good thread on here about cast iron, of which I love. I have a griddle and 7" fry pan I do eggs in and they are so well seasoned nothing sticks. I use a wok quite a bit and have CS, SS, non-stick and CI. I even like the cast iron wok over carbon steel which is the most popular.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I have both - Emeril stainless with copper-bottom and some older non-stick I rarely use, not because of the teflon (since it's not chipped or scratched) but because the bottom of the pan warps on me, regardless of the brand. I have a Calphalon set but some of the pans have the ridged surface which my hubby says is impossible even for scrambled eggs. I like the copper bottomed stainless steel since they don't warp and are completely flush with my cooktop elements. Since I cook on an electric stove top, it's important to me that the entire surface of the cookware is in contact with the element. I hate when pans wobble on me. When I use stainless steel and start on medium heat, I don't get nearly as much sticking as when my husband cooks and uses a high setting.
I also have an Emeril stainless set with copper bottom. I also collect loose pieces such as All-clad grill pans, Calphalon (2 non-stick saute pans) and some Le Creuset enameled cast iron.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I guess I am an oddball. I don't think in terms of only stainless or nonstick or whatever. It's not the way I cook. Let the pan fit the job at hand.

If I am cooking Cajun, or homestyle it's cast iron all the way.

For omelettes I have a Calphalon commercial stainless nonstick pan that is just perfect and cleans up in seconds.

I also use Calphalon or All Clad anodized - very heavy - for sauces and veggies.

And stainless is my weapon of choice for French Saute or stir fry dishes where I use olive or other oils and deglaze or make a sauce at the end.

I stay away from the thin, inexpensive cookware just so I don't get frustrated with their uneven performance. And that goes double for the Teflon coated ones that are always on sale for ten bucks or so. You get what you pay for.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Iuse both as you will notice prodessional chef do. But you need good nonstick form what I have found as well as stainless.My wife is cajun and uses the newer thick bottom stainless now instead of cast iron actually.mnay cajun dishes that you use a frying pan for actauly require high heat which the better stainless is great for since the concentrate the heat in the actual cooking surface.They also work well in the oven after brown etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink