Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You are not alone. I sold most of my cookbooks when my hubby and I sold out and hit the road in our motor home. Now we are back in a house and my cookbooks are growing, again!!!

It is a sickness. I love reading recipes whether form a book, magazine, or online. My husband thinks I need to be committed because I always think about food, lol.

I am trying to condense things a bit. I have gone through my cookbooks and copied the recipes that I think I might like. Then I paste them to a 4x6 index card and put them into a photo album. I do the same from magazines. Now I have a better chance of actually making some recipes.

So many recipes, so little time, lol.
You are so organized girl! I wish I was!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
You are so organized girl! I wish I was!!!
I was thinking the same thing.

I have a real illness when it comes to buying books and magazines and if it is a cookbook or a magazine about food then it is a thousand times worse. For many years now, I have been going to the library to check out the books before I buy. It has cut down the cost. I end up reading most of the cookbooks for entertainment or to get ideas, but rarely do I exactly follow the recipe.

I wouldn't have half the mess that I do if I could cut down on the reading material around here. I think it is an illness.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
What a great thread. I am a visitor with the early symptoms of cookbook addiction. I would like to blame my mother for this has she has tons of cookbooks and food magazines and I remember her addiction for as long as my own memory goes back.

I am starting small with magazines but have about 20 or so books on my Wish List at A-zon pending purchase (in the future). Food has been a long-time obsession for me and now its slowly transitioned into cooking.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Must....not....order....more...right...now.....

But I want to so bad

Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Can never have too many cookbooks!

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...otal-geek.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ns-please.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...cookbooks.html

Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Must....not....order....more...right...now.....

But I want to so bad
Step away from the computer, and no gets hurt!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
My name is Beretta and I have a Cookbook obsession. All in unison please: "Hi Beretta, welcome to the group".

I love them all; old, new and in between. I like finding well worn ones at auction and antique stores. I like finding church cookbooks with stars on recipes that were "winners" and notes on the sides of recipes. I like new, glossy books with gorgeous photos. So many cookbooks, so little time.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
To all of the addicts in this thread, which cookbooks do you use most often in everyday cooking & baking?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
To all of the addicts in this thread, which cookbooks do you use most often in everyday cooking & baking?
I find I use ones that show technique more than actual recipes. I usually look at the recipes for an idea, then wing it from there. Technique however needs to be more specific in my experience

CIA's The New Professional Chef is probably my favorite.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
It really depends........sometimes my Bon Appetit cookbooks, sometimes Southern Living, or my Thai, or Indian.....doggone it, now I wanna go cook something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink