Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Are there any dishes that you still make at home, that you first discovered when you were traveling abroad?

I had never heard of couscous until I traveled in North Africa in the 60's, I still make that a lot, with a lamb and vegetable sauce.

Also, Romanian mamaliguta, which is a form of polenta. I make it simplified for a quick lunch or supper, just by stirring cornmeal into boiling water until it is thick enough that rolls into a ball, then serving it covered with butter and either sour cream or grated cheese.

The Chinese eat noodle soup for breakfast, and actually, it's pretty nice first thing in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Flammenkuche- a type of crispbread pizza with creme fraiche, onions, bacon and mushrooms from Germany. Very tasty.

Also the habit of eating mayo on fries I picked up in Holland.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Oh, right, that reminds me of eating vinegar on french fries, and you only have to go to Canada to find that. Mostly in the Maritimes, as I recall.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Mostly condiments......

I find I prefer curried catsup after experiencing it in Europe.

I find myself dipping fries into mayonnaise like they do in Holland.

When eating fried fish I like vinegar on my french fries

I fell in love with curried lamb from when I was India....I have it often.

A satay sauce can make a mediocre meal pretty good.........

I think travel has certainly expanded my tastes, but I still prefer an American diet of fresh grilled meat and fresh produce.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

I find I prefer curried catsup after experiencing it in Europe.
Love currywurst!

Probably the biggest culinary change that happened to me was when I first had really good coffee in Rome in 1977. It was such an revelation.
Not long after that, my aunt and uncle gave me a funky stovetop espresso machine they had bought in Italy but could not figure out. It wasn't the typical coffee pot kind, it was very complicated and funky, almost Rube Goldberg-like. My then-boyfriend-future-husband figured it out and we've been messing around with this or that espresso apparatus ever since then.

I've been making homemade pesto ever since then, too.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Sarde in Saor - Pan-fried fresh sardines which are then marinated in a sauce made from vinegar, onions, raisins, juniper berries & pine nuts. Had it in Venice. Loved it, have made it several times since.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 AM

268 posts, read 878,009 times
Pleskavica/Cevapcici --> I order it here in Balkan-restaurants, since a trip to Croatia and Montenegro.
Pancake-soup --> Had that first in Austria

Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Paella, although it is a pain to make for two people, so I just order it when out with a group of friends.

Hearts of palm I really never had before until I studied in Spain, now I love them on salads

I love to make croquettes after being in Europe. I also like the mayo with fries and fried potatoes from the Netherlands and their Douw Egberts coffee. Kip satay and gado gado from their too....my ex-brother-in-law is Dutch Indonesian.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
From Spain:
Tinto verano (red wine and lemon soda)
Kalimotxo (red wine and Coke)
Tortilla de patata con cebolla
I want to try to make marmitako (tuna stew) and paella, but haven't done it yet

Caribbean:
Rice and beans
Plantains

I also want to try to make quinoa soup like I had in Peru, goulash (both Austrian and Hungarian varieties), and paprika chicken.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
LOL when I read the title to this thread I was thinking you bought some antique dishes/plates in England or something.

I was all excited to see what pattern and maker they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink