Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times

Advertisements

We used to fry up slices of chedder cheese when I was a kid. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
This was even featured on the Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" (cheesy episode):

Shady Glen - Manchester, CT

Those big crispy corners sticking up? CHEESE! That was fried!

Apparently, though, there's some special ingredient in the cheese that makes it behave like that.

Interestingly enough, as much as I love cheese, even though this place is just about 30 or so minutes from me, I've never been. I think I'm afraid of getting addicted.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
I do grilled haloumi cheese - it's delicious.

Just use a heavy griddle pan and grill with a little olive oil - serve with salad and crusty bread - yummy.

Here's a random link to show you how it looks when grilled:

What to do with Halloumi Cheese Recipe - 101 Cookbooks

Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times
I never heard of this. & now can't wait to try it!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Just about any firm cheese can be (deep) fried if it has been properly breaded. Very common dish in eastern Europe is breaded fried cheese slices - it's what they recommend for anyone asking for a vegetarian dish in a restaurant. Usually served with rice, french fries, and tartar sauce....ugh is all I can say for all those fat-laden carbs!

http://www.galeriamotel.hu/Images/rantottsajt.jpg (broken link)

I'll have to look into this TJ's frying cheese because I wouldn't mind frying some cheese in a pan that doesn't need breading or added oils.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just about any firm cheese can be (deep) fried if it has been properly breaded. Very common dish in eastern Europe is breaded fried cheese slices - it's what they recommend for anyone asking for a vegetarian dish in a restaurant. Usually served with rice, french fries, and tartar sauce....ugh is all I can say for all those fat-laden carbs!

http://www.galeriamotel.hu/Images/rantottsajt.jpg (broken link)

I'll have to look into this TJ's frying cheese because I wouldn't mind frying some cheese in a pan that doesn't need breading or added oils.
You will not have a hard time finding frying cheese near you. Since Southern California has a lot of Mexicans and fried cheese is very popular in Latin America it will be carried in Mexican-oriented markets and probably in the large grocery stores as well. In Florida, even big chains like Winn Dixie, Public, and Albertsons have it. When you make it, I'd suggest you put a little bit of olive oil; it helps to brown the cheese and cause it not to stick to the pan.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Bread cheese ( juustoleipä) is a Finnish cheese that is generally GRILLED, not fried. It comes in a 1/2" slab and is available through mail order from the University of Wisconsin's creamery.

Cheese Types - Babcock Hall Dairy Store (http://www.babcockhalldairystore.wisc.edu/CheeseTypes.htm - broken link)

Generally, fried cheese is breaded cheese curds, a product of the cheese making process.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
You will not have a hard time finding frying cheese near you. Since Southern California has a lot of Mexicans and fried cheese is very popular in Latin America it will be carried in Mexican-oriented markets and probably in the large grocery stores as well. In Florida, even big chains like Winn Dixie, Public, and Albertsons have it. When you make it, I'd suggest you put a little bit of olive oil; it helps to brown the cheese and cause it not to stick to the pan.
So which cheese(s) are good to fry? I have access to every Mexican cheese ever invented - cotija, queso fresco, panela, oaxaca, manchego, asadero...which one(s) would you recommend?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So which cheese(s) are good to fry? I have access to every Mexican cheese ever invented - cotija, queso fresco, panela, oaxaca, manchego, asadero...which one(s) would you recommend?
Cotija - best cheese to crumble over tacos. Not the best for frying.
Queso fresco - good to crumble over warm sandwiches or even tacos. Not the best for frying.
Queso blanco - very good for frying because it doesn't melt as much as most cheeses. Slice it and fry it in a pan with just a little bit of olive oil.
Queso de freír - this is what I see most on the East Coast. The most widely-sold brand is Tropical.
Oaxaca - not very good for frying; it melts and is very similar to mozzarella.
Manchego - hard, Spanish cheese that is good for putting on cold sandwiches or just eating by itself on a cheese platter. I've never fried it, but I think that would be an interesting thing to try.
Asadero - I'm not really familiar with this, so not sure

Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
OMG--I am totally going to try to find this at my Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink