Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2007, 05:10 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times

Advertisements

I've read that wild is healthier because farm raised contains more mercury. IMO wild has a better, milder taste. Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 AM

428 posts, read 2,440,288 times
Wild is always better. Did you know they have to dye the farm-raised salmon to give them that pink color? The pink only happens in the wild when they are at the end of their migration.

Also, farmed salmon doesn't have a good, firm texture because they haven't had the activity of a wild fish.
Farmed also has to be inoculated for pests and diseases.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,379 times
Wild Salmon definately tastes better. It is sweeter tasting and as missyM said the texture if firmer.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Wild salmon is *cleaner*. As someone already has said, it has no additives. Plus, who knows what's in the commercial food they are fed? With the pet food recall scare, where thousands of pets died from an additive that was in the food, I would be doubly concerned about what they are feeding in the fish farms. (The additive already found its way into hog feed and chicken feed).

IF you are going to buy farm raised, be sure you also know where in the world that farming took place, and determine for yourself whether you want fish from those countries/waters.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,679 times
We get wild salmon every season. I love it so much I end up buying more and more each year. The wild salmon is thicker and much more red. The flavor is much more intensified by this. Store bought salmon is good but much more dry and very dull colored.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
It depends where you get the farm-raised salmon. It can indeed taste muddy, but some tastes pretty good.
When I lived in Colorado,I bought Pacific salmon whenever I could get it, but failing that, I bought Wild Oats' organic farm-raised which came from Clare Island off Ireland. It was pretty clean-tasting. Clare island Salmon (broken link)
The coloring is vegetable dye. I don't think it's too terrible. But the Clare Island salmon have the color certified organic.
These days I buy wild caught Atlantic salmon if I can, but it sounds like they are in trouble.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:54 PM

206 posts, read 938,951 times
I also prefer wild salmon, we actually eat a few times a week. There is definately a difference in taste and texture, as well as being more healthy. We buy a ton of it when it goes on sale and freeze it. So worth it.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Wild hands-down - I never buy farm raised salmon. Trader Joe's gets the best sock-eye salmon that is already frozen but it's seasonal so I usually stock up when they have it. It actually doesn't cost much more than other stores' farm raised salmon, but the difference in what you're getting for your money is much more apparent.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I do hope that wild salmon can be helped. I know that people out there are working to save it.
Most of the salmon consumed these days is farm-raised, partly because so many special interest groups control the wild salmon's environment.
Wild salmon is indeed tastier and healthier, but I worry that it will also be rarer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink