Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you eat sushi?
Sushi yes I like 156 78.39%
Sushi no like 43 21.61%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

I love excellent fresh healthy food.......and sushi (sashimi rather) is one of the healthiest, and in the right restaurant is the freshest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Ugh, I love love love sushi.

But I gave up fish for environmental reasons.

I miss you, sushi.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Ugh, I love love love sushi.

But I gave up fish for environmental reasons.

I miss you, sushi.
no need to miss it...sushi does not necessarily mean it has "fish"...sushi means "vinegered rice", so anything along those line with shrimp/crab, or even just vegetables wrapped in rice is sushi.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Hey y'all - having been to the orient a number of times and having lived up in the PacNW, I have to say I am a sushi and sashimi fan. I am also a big raw oyster fan - I will not eat them cooked at all, but raw, they are divine.

Have y'all heard about the new thing in Japan? It's eating chicken and pork sashimi! I'm serious - do a search on Youtube. I absolutely would NOT do this - EVER.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
no need to miss it...sushi does not necessarily mean it has "fish"...sushi means "vinegered rice", so anything along those line with shrimp/crab, or even just vegetables wrapped in rice is sushi.
Well . . . I know. But the kind of sushi I miss is the kind with fish in it. And my giving up "fish" applies basically to anything fished, like shrimp. (Crab? Blech.) I'm not all that into cucumber or carrot or avocado wrapped in seaweed and rice unless it as an accompaniment to something like tuna. Delicious, overfished tuna.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Have y'all heard about the new thing in Japan? It's eating chicken and pork sashimi! I'm serious - do a search on Youtube. I absolutely would NOT do this - EVER.
About a month ago, I had a wagyu sashimi that was magnificent.......not sure what the difference between Steak Tartare is and beef sashimi.....either way, it was great.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
I tried really hard to like sushi, but I just couldn't. It's not that I have anything against raw fish, and I appreciate the artistry that goes into it, but it just tastes too salty and oily for me. I have been to a sushi restaurant many times with a sushi-loving friend who had me sample all different varieties, so it's not that I haven't tried. I even ate one that had a raw quail egg on top and somehow managed to keep it down (just barely)!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I tried really hard to like sushi, but I just couldn't. It's not that I have anything against raw fish, and I appreciate the artistry that goes into it, but it just tastes too salty and oily for me. I have been to a sushi restaurant many times with a sushi-loving friend who had me sample all different varieties, so it's not that I haven't tried. I even ate one that had a raw quail egg on top and somehow managed to keep it down (just barely)!
as mentioned before, sushi does not just consist of raw fish wrapped in vinegared rice. sushi runs the gamut from fried tempura shrimp in vinegared rice to avocado n cucumber in rolls wit crab legs, to complete vegetable sushi. you DO NOT need to eat sushi with raw fish. so you might wanna try those that don't have raw fish on them.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I've eaten plenty of beef that's raw and lightly cooked...but I don't foresee EVER doing the same with pork or chicken, sorry. I'm too old-school to get past the parasites of raw pork and chicken aspect.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
as mentioned before, sushi does not just consist of raw fish wrapped in vinegared rice. sushi runs the gamut from fried tempura shrimp in vinegared rice to avocado n cucumber in rolls wit crab legs, to complete vegetable sushi. you DO NOT need to eat sushi with raw fish. so you might wanna try those that don't have raw fish on them.
Yeah yeah, we get it. There's the "official" meaning of sushi, and then there's the colloquial use. Most people are referring to the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink