Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I must say the true dining experience for me starts with a place without pretension, where I am pleasantly surprised by people's kindness and effortless talent.

On this note, Japanese restaurants (very small ones, no matter where they are located) are usually a sure hit. I love Japanese food...

And I love going places where the locals buy goods, so that I can "make my own menu".
We just moved out of NYC to the suburbs - but my favorite place near our apartment on the upper east side was this mom and pop Japanese restaurant. We ate there all the time and they knew us. I'm half Japanese and while I was learning Japanese getting ready for my trip to Japan, they would talk to me in Japanese. They made the absolute best sushi I've ever had in NYC. There were only about 8 tables and usually one waitress. I miss it already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
There's this little Thai place in Ocala, FL (where I live) called Royal Orchid, it's heavenly. The hostesses are wonderful, the decor is amazing, they've always got nice music, and the food is awesome. Love it, love it, love it.
Now I want Thai!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM

This is an amazing place in St Louis, wonderful food, decor, service, wine list. The cocktails are heavenly!

Monarch Restaurant: Fine International Cuisine in Saint Louis, Missouri

Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Many years ago I went to a small Japanese restaurant as I decided to have a quick lunch - chosen by chance - and it was the best thing ever.

Bowl of misoshiro, rice, choice of sashimi (including toro, yay!) or grilled anchovy and sunomono.
Obviously I became a frequent customer...during the winter the cook made the most delicious stews with countless ingredients. They were the perfect meal.

And authentic chicken teryiaki, made from scratch. Oishi!!!

Fantastic!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM

This is another great place in St Louis, I LOVE Vietnamese cuisine!

Pho Grand

Theres not a lot of fabulous cuisine where I live, and emi_ stole my fave place here, so I'm posting the places I love in STL, my hometown.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Keep the St Louis suggestions coming! I'm going to work there for a few weeks in July!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Keep the St Louis suggestions coming! I'm going to work there for a few weeks in July!!!
Do you have any idea where you are going to be staying in STL? I'll make you a big list!
There are a lot of amazing places, I saw that you are half Japanese, so I will include all the ethnic I can think of!
I am going home in August, so I will remind myself of my own fave places.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Awesome!!!
I'm doing a show at the MUNY - but I don't know where I'll be staying yet.
I LOVE ethnic food!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Here are a few of my fave places in STL;

Welcome to Eleven Eleven Mississippi - A Wine Country Bistro
there is a sister restaurant on this site, Vin de Set, its right around the corner, wonderful rooftop view!

Drunken Fish
love this place, great sushi!

St. Louis Korean Restaurants | Urbanspoon
every Korean Restaurant on this site is wonderful

There are some fabulous taquarias (sp?) on Cherokee Street.
Cherokee Antique Row - Largest Antique Shopping District in St. Louis!

This is THE food magazine for STL, lots of wonderful places listed in here;
Sauce Magazine

This is also a great resource;
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/SS/Entertainment-All+By+Date-Restaurants?OpenDocument (broken link)

If you have the time, this is only an hour south of STL, and well worth the time. This is the area that I am from, the wineries, scenery, and food are amazing!
Route du Vin | Ste. Genevieve Missouri's Wine Trail

Also, the STL forum here on CD has some great recommendations on great places to eat and drink.
Gotta ask, what production at the Muny are you appearing in?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM

I'm going to be doing CATS.
Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I hope I get to try some of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink