Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a 66 Mustang with a straight 6. Everything is original with some surface rust. No power brakes, no power steering, no a/c. Just a base model. What do you think I should pay for it? It runs and drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Hard to say w/o seeing it or w/o pics.

I've seen the ones like you describe in good shape bring $5-$8k. Meaning nice paint and all. That's the coupes.

If it's a fast back, then it will bring more.

Cars requiring work bring less, maybe $2500-$3500.

Make sure the car isn't a bondo wagon when you look at it. If it has nice shiny paint look for pregnant panels, waves in the metal, etc.

If it is in primer then proceed with caution; primer hides bondo work.

Also look underneath and make sure the underbody isn't full of rusty holes.

Cool thing is the 6 banger Mustangs are easy as pie to work on. You can stand in the engine compartment and work on it if you wanted to. Try that with any of today's cars.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
The above post lists the things to look for, but remamber, it's easy to fix anything on these cars, including bodywork.

As for reliability, at this point, reliability and quality is ALL in the hands of the person repairing/restoring the car, and it's original reliability and quality has absolutely no bearing on what it might be like under your stewardship. Which means... it'll be as reliable as you make it.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Those cars don't have the value that the more potent Mustang's have. They make for excellent project cars and daily drivers. The value is all based on the overall condition which is impossible to tell online. Reliability as stated is based on the person taking care of it. Personally I wouldn't be buying this car for any reason other than to turn it into a nice weekend driver with a more modern power plant. Since they don't have any real value as they were the most basic models out there, you don't have to feel bad about modifying the car to your hearts content.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm looking at a 66 Mustang with a straight 6. Everything is original with some surface rust. No power brakes, no power steering, no a/c. Just a base model. What do you think I should pay for it? It runs and drives.
depending on condition, i would say not to pay more than about $2500 for the car. a stripped down mustang, unless it is in perfect condition, isnt worth more than that. as for reliability, the small six is very tough engine, you practically need a nuclear warhead to kill one, and even then if you change the condenser and replace the battery it will likely run just fine. depending on what transmission it has though, that could be an issue. if it has the automatic the reliability and durability of the C4 is highly regarded. if it has the three speed manual trans, well lets just say that the 2.77 three speed doesnt have the best reputation(there is a reason it is called the paper transmission), and the dagenham four speed is also a poor design. cheer up though as they can both be easily replaced with a much more reliable T5 that will add a lot of flexibility to your daily drive. check out this site, including the forums, for more information;

Ford Six Performance Home/Index

i am a moderator there, and i can tell you that there are plenty of people there that are more than willing to help with any issues you might have. if you want performance parts for the small six, check out;

Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home

not only are there a number of parts and services available from there, but there is also a tech section with several articles on the small six.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
What would be your plans for it? If there is a bunch you want done you might be better off buying a car in better condition unless you can do work yourself.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
My 16 year old son is in love with the car. He wants to get it as his 1st car. My main concern is no power steering and wish it had A/C being we are in FL.
How hard is it to put power steering/ A/C in. My son has located all the power steering parts for $300.

Thanks for all the help!

Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
1966 Ford Mustang value and reliability-mustang-1.jpg   1966 Ford Mustang value and reliability-mustang-2.jpg   1966 Ford Mustang value and reliability-mustang-3.jpg  

Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My 16 year old son is in love with the car. He wants to get it as his 1st car. My main concern is no power steering and wish it had A/C being we are in FL.
How hard is it to put power steering/ A/C in. My son has located all the power steering parts for $300.

Thanks for all the help!

Here are a few pics:
I have come close to purchasing a classic Stang a couple of times. My dream car. Thus its the only car I can offer advice on. So...

Is your son handy with tools and good with cars? If not, does he have money for repairs and so forth?

The good news is that millions of these cars were sold and are still coveted. Thus there are loads of OEM and aftermarket parts available. You can buy anything for them. Even more modern Mustang parts can be retrofitted. I have seen classic Stangs with 2001 interiors.

When you go to examine it, bring a magnet and go over the body. If the magnet does not stick in some places, that means the aforementioned Bondo.

Check the Cowl!!! This is a common problem with Mustangs. Bring along a gallon or two of water. Pour it down the cowl. It should drain out behind the front fenders. If not, the cowl is rusted and that is a very complex and pricey repair. If the seller does not allow you to pour the water, walk.
Cowl Repair

Most Stangs had drum brakes. These can be changed to disc, but again, it costs.

AC is not that big of a deal. Any car can be retrofitted with an AC Unit and the 1966 AC unit was seperate and fit under the dash.

I could go on but its better that your son dive into this topic and do his homework. There are tons of clubs, forums, books, and parts makers out there.

Mustang Forums at StangNet

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
First off, high five to your son for picking something unique and cool for his first car. If he ends up with this or something like it he will learn more about how a car works and maintaining it than most people ever will.

My main concern would be the general condition of the car in the areas that you can't see. It looks good, but looks can be deceiving. Florida is about as harsh an environment for a car that you will find outside the snow belt. If this is something you choose to pursue, please find a good body shop, mechanic or restorer to look the car over for you. Rust is insidious and easy to cover up on the short term. Anyone worth their salt will be able to point out any trouble spots. If the current owner balks at allowing you to do this, then don't buy the car. You may even want to join the forum that was posted above and find someone local with good knowledge of these cars to take a look at it for you. At the very least they may be able to suggest some good area mechanics to call.

Outside of that, anything like A/C or power steering can be added without to much cost or headache involved. I'm with you on the A/C and would take that over power steering being in Florida. No point in picking up your date in your cool classic just to sweat buckets on your way to the movies. Overall maintaining this car and replacing/adding components is probably cheaper than most modern cars.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
I owned one but it was a 289 V8....nothing but a money pit...

But the Chicks liked it...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln