Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Ford Fusion Worthy of its Hype?
Yes. It lives up to my expectations and even exceeds some of them. 19 46.34%
No. Ford could have done much better in its quest to replace the Taurus. 3 7.32%
I don't know. I don't own/drive one. 15 36.59%
Buy another car instead (please identify below) 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Yes, my dear friends at City-Data, I'm still in my perpetual quest to purchase a new car. My late-90s Ford Contour has served me well thus far, but as I near that 100,000 mile mark and notice most of those in my community driving brand new vehicles, I'm likewise getting the "itch" to get a new car. I've appreciated all of your comments and insights over the past several months as I've been tossing around my options, but I think I might have finally settled upon a Ford Fusion.

Contrary to my Asian vehicle driving friends, who joke that Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily, I have had very few complications during the five years or so that I've owned this sedan, and I'm pleased with the company. I've spent several hours researching this vehicle on several major consumer-related web sites, and I have yet to find one negative review on it out of the dozens I have read.

Here are the three most commonly-referenced "issues" that I saw creep up with the car:

1.) Poor visibility out of the back window. Considering I often drive in heavy commuter traffic and make frequent merges on the freeways, having a very bad rear blind spot could be a "deal-breaker" for me.

2.) Poor fuel efficiency. Most of the reviews harped on about the excellent miles per gallon attained with highway driving, but city drivers were disappointed, often netting fuel efficiencies less than many SUVs! One would think that as gas prices continue to rise, Ford would be more conscious of consumers' changing desires for greater fuel-efficiency. As a city driver myself, this is likewise a turn-off.

3.) "Standard" features vs. "Options." A lot of people complained about how little comes standard with the Fusion as opposed to being extra charges in options packages. For example, one person even asked how Ford could charge $2,400 for a satellite navigation system upgrade when you can buy a Garmin for a fraction of that price. Living here in "snow country," I'm also looking into AWD, which, likewise, is an "extra" option.

I can most certainly stomach forgoing some luxuries to make this car work for me, which eradicates #3 as being an issue, but the other two gripes are concerns of mine. Does anyone out here in City-Data land own a Fusion? If so, are you pleased with it? Do problems #1 and #2 cause you irritation and aggravation?

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM

I've just done a bit more research into my own current car, the Ford Contour, and I've read many complaints about Ford's customer service quality. A lot of people seemed to get the sense that those working on their vehicles quite simply didn't care. I've taken my current car to a mechanic from my church, but I'll probably be utilizing Ford's services if and when I buy an '06, '07, or '08 Fusion. How have your experiences been with them?

I'm also reading a lot of negative reviews about the Contour, even though the one I have now has yet to cause me any grief. I've been reading a lot about "jerky transmissions that are commonplace to Ford sedans." Is this true in relation to the Fusion? I've also read about issues with the Contour's dashboards warping and deteriorating rather quickly. Has anyone with a Fusion (or a Focus or even Taurus for that matter) noticed similar problems? The complaints about the Contour's cupholders are ones I echo, as I've spilled many drinks in my car due to the stupid positioning of them; how are they positioned in the Fusion? Any better? I also chuckled to see so many complaining about the Contour's gas cap being located on the passenger side as opposed to the driver's side for "convenience." How fat and lazy are Americans that they can't even walk around a small sedan? LOL!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Hmmm...not as popular as I thought. I'm still up in the air at this point though; I made myself a list of priorities, and fuel-efficiency was near the very, very top (even exceeding price). As such, the Fusion might not be what I'm looking for.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
personally, i would never buy a ford. I think the altima, maxima, accord, or camry would be better choices for overall car life and resale value for you . someone i know has a 97 camry and it has 236000 miles and it runs great. the kicker is that he uses the car for driving school teens and he lives in NoVA. if a car can survive all that than it can survive most things.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:56 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
personally, i would never buy a ford. I think the altima, maxima, accord, or camry would be better choices for overall car life and resale value for you .
Not an American brand in the bunch.

SWB, I applaud your desire to buy American. As you do your research and read complaints please remember that people who want to gripe are going to be more likely to post, rather than people who are perfectly satisfied (much like in the State Forums here).

Old 06-24-2007, 05:10 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
Consumer Reports gives the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan High Marks. Actually, VERY HIGH marks. The car is based on the MAZDA6 platform, which is an excellent car. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, except for the fact that I prefer 'Sportier' cars.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Contrary to my Asian vehicle driving friends, who joke that Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily:
Ford also stands for Found on Road Dead. Both Fords I've owned (73 Mercury Comet and 83 Mercury Lynx) certainly lived up to both of those acronyms!

What's a young, hip urban pioneer like yourself doing thinking about buying a midsize sedan? There will be plenty of time for that later, in the years both before and after you buy your midlife crisis sporty convertible. My sage advice would be for you to save your pennies for other things besides gasoline and new-car markups, and buy a year or two old sporty compact sedan, hatchback, or the like. I have an 06 Mazda 3 wagon, which is great on gas, versatile (I've crammed everything in that car from my sister's kids and their car seats, to flea market finds), and looks sporty to boot.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Chiming in on the Ford bashing: We have had / currently own many newer model Fords and we have yet to have serious problems with them. Taurus, Crown Victoria, F150 and Excursion. I spend very little if any, time on service for them. exc. maintenance.
I like the new fusions looks for sure.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
why get a new car i have seen those cars have 200-250,000 miles on then...you have a long way to go before it dies.......

Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Maybe it would make your Asian-driving friends feel better to know that the Fusion is just a re-skinned Mazda 6, including (most importantly) the driveline.

BTW, the Fusion was not the replacement for the Tuarus; the 500 was -- and aptly enough, the 500 has been renamed Taurus.

I see this thread is kind of old -- did you ever come to a decision on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln