Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times

Advertisements

Whatever you get, make sure you get at least two WORKING keys. With the ford, you will need the two working keys to make any copies without hooking to a computer to program (approximately $55 v/s $85 + an hour to program). The Toyota doesn't have on board programming and duplicates start at $75. With the Toyotas, IF you were to loose all working keys, the computer (ECM) would have to be replaced in order to have keys for your car. One more note, The Focus's ignition is not a great design. It starts with the key hanging, then the buzzer going off at odd times, then the key gets stuck and you cannot get it to come out. It has become such a problem that we refuse to work on the ignitions, we refer those cars back to the dealers. Even with OEM parts, the problem can persist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
What's the general things to look for on a 04 with the 2.3L Duratec (DOCH) engine?

It's done about 80k Miles, it's a manual (5-speed), one owner, no reported problems, priced at $5500 in Tx.

Price reasonable? I was thinking it could go down a bit further maybe.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
What's the general things to look for on a 04 with the 2.3L Duratec (DOCH) engine?

It's done about 80k Miles, it's a manual (5-speed), one owner, no reported problems, priced at $5500 in Tx.

Price reasonable? I was thinking it could go down a bit further maybe.
Not a whole lot, really. The 2.3L is a real good engine. It's chain-driven, so no worries about a timing belt. Just check the generic stuff and call it good.

The 2.3L is a great choice because it's the 2nd most powerful engine they put in the Focus (behind the SVT). But, it has a lot more low-end and only requires low-octane gas which makes it a much more useable engine. The only 'better' option, IMO, is the ST model available in the 05+ models because it came with the 2.3L, better gearing, SVT suspension goodies (minus the springs), exhaust, leather, etc.

Price sounds OK depending on the model, the options, the condition, etc.

Lots of good info here: www.focaljet.com

Mike

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks Mike, I'll make sure to check that site.

Andy thoughts on the price? I will say, it looked very clean, only downside was the horribly beige interior, but oh well.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM

What model is it, and what options does it have? It can make a difference.

To be honest, I haven't priced one out in a good while. I would have to direct you to good ol' KBB or similar research tools. But if it has all the power options and everything works, $5500 would seem reasonable to me. Not saying I wouldn't play a little Wheeler Dealer, though.

Mike

Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
The focus breaks all records for the number of RECALLS for any car ever made by ford if that tells you anything.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
What model is it, and what options does it have? It can make a difference.

To be honest, I haven't priced one out in a good while. I would have to direct you to good ol' KBB or similar research tools. But if it has all the power options and everything works, $5500 would seem reasonable to me. Not saying I wouldn't play a little Wheeler Dealer, though.

Mike
It's this puppy right here.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It's this puppy right here.
OK, it's a ZTS. The ZTS is the top-of-the-line sedan model, meaning you get all the goodies like power accessories, tilt, cruise, AC, etc. It also means that you get a rear sway bar, I think. Somewhere in 03-04, Ford started to 'cost down' the Focus and removed things like fog lights and rear sway bars from the lower models. Kinda dumb. But like I said, I think you have one. Easy enough to check, anyway.

The one thing that troubles me, though, is that you have no tach. It may just be that I'm not remembering things correctly, but I thought every 'Z' model Focus had one. Then again, I could just not remember it right.

Now, since it IS at a lot, I would say you should definitely haggle. Heck, I think you're legally obligated to, lol.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The focus breaks all records for the number of RECALLS for any car ever made by ford if that tells you anything.
Again, you have to put it into context by specifying which model years you're talking about. By 04, I believe the number of recalls were minimal (if any).

Mike

Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
OK, it's a ZTS. The ZTS is the top-of-the-line sedan model, meaning you get all the goodies like power accessories, tilt, cruise, AC, etc. It also means that you get a rear sway bar, I think. Somewhere in 03-04, Ford started to 'cost down' the Focus and removed things like fog lights and rear sway bars from the lower models. Kinda dumb. But like I said, I think you have one. Easy enough to check, anyway.

The one thing that troubles me, though, is that you have no tach. It may just be that I'm not remembering things correctly, but I thought every 'Z' model Focus had one. Then again, I could just not remember it right.

Now, since it IS at a lot, I would say you should definitely haggle. Heck, I think you're legally obligated to, lol.
Lol, yeah the tach not being there is annoying, but the 2.3 Duratec etc checks out with the Carfax.

Figured I'll send the missus and a car friend to look at it, haggle in fixing the dent on the right rear panel and get the price down some.

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln